BVEStation

Author Topic: Grade Time Signals and Trip  (Read 10828 times)

Offline waterburn

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
Grade Time Signals and Trip
« on: August 11, 2012, 02:22:48 pm »
Anyone know how you can make a grade time signal for openbve that will clear depending on the speed and not distance? I've played around
with TJay's signal pack: http://bvestation.com/downloadinfo.php?id=61. But it seems if you go above the speed it will still clear? Also would it be possible to
make a custom animated signal actually trip the train when it still is red? If so how would I go about doing that. I am trying to add grade time signals on
the Toronto Subway BVE route. The signal flashes when it is about to time out - would that be possible to implement?

Offline Mr Railfan

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Train Developer and Route Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Grade Time Signals and Trip
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 09:29:06 pm »
Anyone know how you can make a grade time signal for openbve that will clear depending on the speed and not distance? I've played around
with TJay's signal pack: http://bvestation.com/downloadinfo.php?id=61. But it seems if you go above the speed it will still clear? Also would it be possible to
make a custom animated signal actually trip the train when it still is red? If so how would I go about doing that. I am trying to add grade time signals on
the Toronto Subway BVE route. The signal flashes when it is about to time out - would that be possible to implement?

This is what i have been doing on the new F version 5 i am soon to release. I cant find a way to make the train trip over the signal but i have created signals that only clear if you are doing 20 , 30 etc. I have also created a wheel detector signal that flashes when you approach it , then glows a solid white once you are driving the proper speed.

Offline waterburn

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 12:34:06 am »
Will be looking out for the release!

Is it possible to time any speed like 25 or 45. Also is it possible to make it flash in the last 5 seconds or something?

Offline TJay1724

• Developer
  • Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 06:33:15 pm »
The reason why most of you think the signals clear at higher speeds is because a full clear is at green, not yellow. I designed the signals to clear from red to yellow to green. Like most timers in the subway. I did leave out quite a few timers of which Mr Railfan is working on. For example, one of my signals clears to green if you approach at 12-15 mph. It will go to yellow then full green if you approach at that speed. I have seen vids posted where people think they are clearing at higher speeds. But if you notice, the signal is on yellow when they do. Not green. I tested these signals extensively when I designed them. If you operate properly, you will clear correctly. I also have signals that clear at 30 mph. Those are primarily used in the underwater tubes. Many people are most likely using those. The reason why you don't trip if you pass a red signal is because the SigF command works in conjunction with a beacon command. However, I still cannot get that to work so you will trip when you pass a red signal. Hope this clarifies things for people.

Offline waterburn

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 11:07:30 pm »
Yes I figured that out. But it clears at a certain distance from the signal? And would it be possible for the signal to time down when it
is about to clear like the Toronto subway grade time signals by flashing.

Offline Mr Railfan

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Train Developer and Route Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 11:46:04 pm »
Yes I figured that out. But it clears at a certain distance from the signal? And would it be possible for the signal to time down when it
is about to clear like the Toronto subway grade time signals by flashing.

Yes it is possible as i had done it with the Wheel detector. you would just need to replace the the flashing white light with whatever color Toronto subway uses.

Offline Fox-179

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 12:41:31 pm »
It also depends on what signal you're implementing whether its a 2-shot which has an S or is luminated under the bottom signal.
2 Shots will clear basically at any speed so if the limit is like 40 and you're going by at 45+ thats normal(both in the simulator and subway) but the next signal may or may not clear from RED to Yellow or Green depending how your speed is approaching that signal.In the system there are signals like that such as the "dip" section between 103rd and 110th St N/B there is timers and I believe its a GT35 maybe 40 but it clears in the 40's and at the bottom that signal clears at maybe 5 feet from RED to Yellow which is why some train operators fly coming up hitting the mid 40's flying pass 110th and even 116th(in some cases) because theres 2 shot after 2 shot which clear on the post but the less experienced operators brake and brake not knowing.

The 1 Shot Signal which should have a number indicating the allowable speed will only clear at most 5MPH above the posted speed but even that is risking a "trip" but a safe speed would be at or no more than 1MPH above the speed because they change kinda at the last minute(second).

All said in done a 2 shot prepares the operator that he/she may have to slow down depending what section of track they are on and their knowledge of how the next signal clears.Which is why somedays where you know theres timers it may seem slower or faster pending what type of operator is operating that train you may notice a lot of (A) train operators run that timer flying pass Franklin Av which is why they fly in Nostrand its a GT35 but clears on the post of 45.No matter if its run or not most likely the train will fly in Nostrand at least at speeds of 40 because of the downhill and not needing to break at the start of the station because the slight uphill is in favor.

Offline R36 #9346

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 08:53:08 am »
The 1 Shot Signal which should have a number indicating the allowable speed will only clear at most 5MPH above the posted speed but even that is risking a "trip" but a safe speed would be at or no more than 1MPH above the speed because they change kinda at the last minute(second).

Actual 1-shot GTs have a lunar white light lit, as the signal in this photo shows.

The timer signals with the number are station time signals, which are placed near stations to indicate a signal will clear for an approaching train if the following conditions are met:
  • Only the tail end (most distant portion) of the signal's control length is occupied
  • The approaching train is traveling at or less than the indicated speed
[/list]

There has, however, been an intermingling of the timer signal indications, and even varying usages of the number aspect.
For example, at West 4th Street, the home signal on B1 track shows G-G-15 as a speed limit reminder. The same can be said of the home signals at D1 track at 36th Street, and K1 track at Rockaway Boulevard.

This is what happens when you install Portal 2 on an R160 computer.

Offline rstar

• Operator
  • MailMan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 09:30:05 am »
It also depends on what signal you're implementing whether its a 2-shot which has an S or is luminated under the bottom signal.
2 Shots will clear basically at any speed so if the limit is like 40 and you're going by at 45+ thats normal(both in the simulator and subway) but the next signal may or may not clear from RED to Yellow or Green depending how your speed is approaching that signal.In the system there are signals like that such as the "dip" section between 103rd and 110th St N/B there is timers and I believe its a GT35 maybe 40 but it clears in the 40's and at the bottom that signal clears at maybe 5 feet from RED to Yellow which is why some train operators fly coming up hitting the mid 40's flying pass 110th and even 116th(in some cases) because theres 2 shot after 2 shot which clear on the post but the less experienced operators brake and brake not knowing.

All said in done a 2 shot prepares the operator that he/she may have to slow down depending what section of track they are on and their knowledge of how the next signal clears.Which is why somedays where you know theres timers it may seem slower or faster pending what type of operator is operating that train you may notice a lot of (A) train operators run that timer flying pass Franklin Av which is why they fly in Nostrand its a GT35 but clears on the post of 45.No matter if its run or not most likely the train will fly in Nostrand at least at speeds of 40 because of the downhill and not needing to break at the start of the station because the slight uphill is in favor.

Don't forget there some T/O from the (A) line,(D) line like to fly between 59 St to 125 St especially that downhill from 103 street to 110 street which is the best if u have a T/O that like to drive fast.  PS Best train to take it down that hill is the R32 or R46 and it mostly on the T/O on the (A) that like that hill and play with the timers.

Offline Fox-179

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 06:24:00 pm »
Don't forget there some T/O from the (A) line,(D) line like to fly between 59 St to 125 St especially that downhill from 103 street to 110 street which is the best if u have a T/O that like to drive fast.  PS Best train to take it down that hill is the R32 or R46 and it mostly on the T/O on the (A) that like that hill and play with the timers.
Haha true but if you're lucky and have an R-68A (D) or (B) express with the right operator you're in for a treat.Just tell the 46 operators to keep it wrapped or on the post.But the best experience had to be with the 38's and Slants whew old school.

Offline Rayvon

• Operator
  • BVEStation Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 01:12:51 pm »
I'm still figuring out how to make the beacons fully work with trains, I believe the safety system has something to do with it though.

Offline Bombardier01800

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
    • View Profile
    • MBTA and NJT Transit Forums
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 04:27:23 pm »
I'm still figuring out how to make the beacons fully work with trains, I believe the safety system has something to do with it though.
I think it does. I remember reading about it when I downloaded the London Underground. If the security system isn't enabled, the beacons and stuff will not work.
Jose
BVEStation Administrator