BVEStation

Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy - Brighton Beach and Sheepshead Bay - The Aftermath  (Read 5601 times)

Offline Mr Railfan

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Train Developer and Route Developer
    • View Profile
No words can epitomize the destruction Hurricane Sandy brought.

Here are about 50 pictures starting from the incredible storm surge to the aftermath in the Brighton Beach, Sheepshead bay areas. This is stuff you won't see in the news.

So the night of the storm i decided to go out and see the storm surge for myself. Here's the entrance to the Boardwalk. At this position i'm at the top of the stairs which lead down 6 to 7 feet down to the boardwalk entrance.

As i waited, a huge wave crashed down and cowered me to the hip in water. Literally, i was scared shitless because the water was up to my hip and there was no lights as Con Edison cut the electricity to the area about an hour before hand. I took this as a cue to get the hell out of there.

As i started going back to my home, the surge water started coming in from the other way from sheepshead bay, which is over a 10 minute walk from this area! This is literally the highest the water has ever been in this area.

A few minutes later the surge from Sheepshead bay met with the Atlantic ocean, right infront of my house, thus flooding and short circuiting our family car. Luckily the waters did not go any higher.

In the morning i ventured out to see the damage. This is the same set of stairs as seen in the first picture. As you can see it's filled with sand.

The boardwalk is suppoed to go down about 6-7 feet but is completely covered in sand.

Destruction on the beach.

Jacuzzi washed up

Brighton beach.

Looking from the boardwalk to a local residency.

Bathrooms flooded and covered in sand

Oceana residency flooded.

One last look at the boardwalk

Cars ruined. there is a car park behind those doors, just filled with cars and completely underwater.

walking towards Brighton beach avenue with the el overhead. This area was completely underwater overnight.

Another shot looking towards the Brighton el. This area was underwater .

An antenna was ripped off from the roof and landed on the street.

Cars moved around by flood waters over night. Near west end avenue.

A car moved out towards the bay by flood waters.

A car seat ripped out from a car and laying next to the bay .

Stranded yachts. Overnight they jumped over the canal bridge which was submerged under water.

Owner of a yacht surveying the damage near the ruined canal bridge.

A ruined canal bridge

A car plowed into this deli with surge waters

A street lays in ruins.

Looking towards Sheepshead bay station

Sheepshead Bay station lobby. It was flooded to the top of the turnstyles.

A local bussiness flooded

The seaport Buffet destroyed.

Local street flooded

Memorial park uprooted

Catastrophe

Exclusive photo's of the belt parkway.

Offline Psycho William

• Regular Developer
  • Supervisor
  • C#/Train Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Sandy - Brighton Beach and Sheepshead Bay - The Aftermath
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 12:14:33 pm »
Bro im allright and i live in rockaways

R40 cars still on track except r46 cars

Yesterday, q22 tried to pass between 96th st and 90th st because there was flooded on the street

Offline Lexington456

• Regular Developer
  • New Recruit
  • Long Live the Lex
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 05:00:55 pm »
My friend, I'm happy you're still alive. Surprised, but happy nonetheless

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 02:00:41 am »
Good to know your alright, or you wouldn't be here posting those photos.  Was one of those stores looted?
BVEStation.

Offline coneyislandDFNQ

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Route & Object Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 05:10:34 am »
Good to know your alright, or you wouldn't be here posting those photos.  Was one of those stores looted?

Coney Island is looted and is considered potentially dangerous. I would call Mr. Railfan a brave fool lol, but nonetheless its shows in depth of what Hurricane Sandy did. My neighborhood of Coney Island looks as twice as bad as this.

Offline HijauKuda

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 08:56:10 am »
Having been born and lived for 20years on the Gulf Of Mexico and endured several hurricanes,
some with 150mph+ winds and much heavier rain than Sandy, I do sympathize with New Jersey & New York residents.

For those who choose to live within a few miles of the ocean and a few feet of sea level,  it can be a very beautiful but also very deadly place.  Don't let yourself become a victim of greedy developers and over priced real estate with bad construction standards. Be prepared with non-perishable food stocks, a generator with 2 weeks of fuel, tools, a shotgun to protect your family+property, and most importantly a home that is built for such storms.  If you can not afford such preparation, then an inland city/state may be a wiser choice to work, live, and raise your family.
Of course, natural disasters can strike anywhere: earthquakes, fires, tornadoes, floods, drought, blizzards,...  Be prepared (no I wasn't a boy scout).

« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 09:43:15 am by HijauKuda »

Offline Brighton Express

• Operator
  • Progress Updater for the NYC Transit Forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 12:57:06 pm »
That is awful. My aunt lives on the Brighton Line as well, but at Cortelyou. I hope you guys get better soon.

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
  • 7 Years of Developing for openBVE!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 01:41:29 pm »
wow... the damage to the boardwalk and the Oceana condos is insane. Seems like a big cleanup job to deal with all that sand.