BVEStation

Author Topic: Windows 8 Consumer Preview  (Read 3129 times)

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Rating: +13/-9
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
Windows 8 Consumer Preview
« on: February 27, 2012, 09:07:41 pm »
For anyone interested,  you can download it on the 29th, two days from now.

It was announced on the MSDN Blog but I never really got around to telling you guys until now lol

Offline nelson3001

• Conductor
  • Rating: +3/-1
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 09:19:04 pm »
It seems like an interesting design according to some videos I have seen. I personally like the Windows 7 design and I feel that Windows 8 might be a great OS but I'd like the Windows 7 appearance to linger instead of overhauling the whole OS experience.

Offline Dr. Subway18

• Operator
  • Rating: +0/-0
  • proud 1999 Kenworth W900B owner(NTC cummins, 10sp)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 09:22:03 pm »
LADIES AND GENTALMAN GET YOUR TECH SUPPORT NUMBERS READY.... BECAUSE HERE COMES THE BUGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS lol   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline rstar

• Operator
  • Rating: +0/-2
  • MailMan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 09:25:53 pm »
You guys know that Windows 8 is going to have a lot of trouble because everything is going to be compatible.

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 09:33:57 pm »
LADIES AND GENTALMAN GET YOUR TECH SUPPORT NUMBERS READY.... BECAUSE HERE COMES THE BUGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS lol   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
Well, its a Consumer Preview, so you're on your own if you try this :P

I'll be honest, I don't like the design. It looks too much like a mobile OS like iOS instead of a desktop OS. If I had a bigger say to what goes on, I would design a mobile version and a desktop version. iPad's dominance is like a diamond wall - nobody has been able to break through it. I don't really like the fact that Microsoft acts as if the PC is dead and tablets rule the world :/

Offline peacemak3r

• Dispatcher
  • Rating: +11/-2
  • NYCTF
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 09:43:25 pm »
I didn't personally take a look at the earlier previews, but wasn't Windows 8 suppose to look somewhat like the XBOX's interface?

Offline rstar

• Operator
  • Rating: +0/-2
  • MailMan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 09:56:31 pm »
It was

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 10:04:54 pm »
I didn't personally take a look at the earlier previews, but wasn't Windows 8 suppose to look somewhat like the XBOX's interface?
Looks more like a tablet if you ask me

Desktop:

Offline Dr. Subway18

• Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 10:46:04 pm »

I'll be honest, I don't like the design. It looks too much like a mobile OS like iOS instead of a desktop OS. If I had a bigger say to what goes on, I would design a mobile version and a desktop version. iPad's dominance is like a diamond wall - nobody has been able to break through it. I don't really like the fact that Microsoft acts as if the PC is dead and tablets rule the world :/
yeah, i mean it just doesn't seem right to use a tablet for things like BVE and other programs, even with my business i couldn't see the need for them, you cant build them yourself, you need a freaking update every 5 Min's (exaggeration lol). the number one thing that gets me is when a major work needs to be done to the unit, call the company that makes it (you know who they are) and they say "Purchasing a new one may be your only option" SMH they are making them smaller and thinner every year, so WTF is this product going to be marketed to Rats in a few years? because my hands sure as hell aren't getting smaller............................... lol sorry guys i got carried away  ::)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:47:58 pm by Dr. Subway18 »

Offline peacemak3r

• Dispatcher
  • Rating: +11/-2
  • NYCTF
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 10:53:48 pm »
The Start menu was implemented into the XBOX's home screen at the mention of Windows 8.  Then they implemented to the phone so I guess it would make sense to do it to the softwares.

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 11:09:12 pm »

yeah, i mean it just doesn't seem right to use a tablet for things like BVE and other programs, even with my business i couldn't see the need for them, you cant build them yourself, you need a freaking update every 5 Min's (exaggeration lol). the number one thing that gets me is when a major work needs to be done to the unit, call the company that makes it (you know who they are) and they say "Purchasing a new one may be your only option" SMH they are making them smaller and thinner every year, so WTF is this product going to be marketed to Rats in a few years? because my hands sure as hell aren't getting smaller............................... lol sorry guys i got carried away  ::)
People love portability, and thats where the Mac Air, Ultrabooks, and other ultra thin PCs come in. Most people will be in the market looking for portable, thin PCs that don't compensate too much performance (Intel Ultrabooks are a good example) and most people won't be looking at those uber large 18 inch gaming laptops. The market is very big for thin laptops and the thinner you make then, more people will buy them. Look at how successful Ultrabooks and Macbook Airs are. 

Offline Dr. Subway18

• Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 11:14:56 pm »

People love portability, and thats where the Mac Air, Ultrabooks, and other ultra thin PCs come in. Most people will be in the market looking for portable, thin PCs that don't compensate too much performance (Intel Ultrabooks are a good example) and most people won't be looking at those uber large 18 inch gaming laptops. The market is very big for thin laptops and the thinner you make then, more people will buy them. Look at how successful Ultrabooks and Macbook Airs are. 
[/quote] yeah i know but thiner= break easier, thin=dosent last as long with the average user. smaller isnt better and size does matter. The next laptop or mobile computer I buy will be a Toughbook. i guess it just matters what field of work your in and what lifestyle you have.

Offline error46146

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Rating: +116/-0
    • View Profile
    • Photography by me.
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 01:48:08 pm »
I better be able to change it back to the Windows 2000 style..

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 05:56:00 pm »
Well, the Developer Preview removed the Windows Classic theme... so I think that answers your question.

@DrSubway: I really don't see how you can break a thin laptop unless you physically torture your laptop. Also, the "average user" today is one who only needs an i3, Intel Graphics, 4GB of RAM and an ultrathin PC to bring to work or Starbucks or something.  Trust me, for your work laptop, you would want it to be around the size of 13 inches and be around the thiness of a Macbook Pro or XPS 14Z. If portability doesn't matter for you, then really, just get a desktop instead of a laptop. Dragging a big laptop around to work and back can be a real pain.

Vista showed that Windows users generally don't like dramatic change. Windows 8 and the Metro UI will certainly bring a lot of change and who knows how users will respond. This is Microsoft's biggest gamble so far. Its one of those high risks, high reward gambles.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 05:58:55 pm by YankeesPwnMets »

Offline Dr. Subway18

• Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 07:27:05 pm »
well i work in ice and snow conditions sometimes, extreme heat in in cross country runs, heavy rain in the South East. you name it i want a logging device that can take it. I really torture my computers. I live in a truck 5 days a week so yeah desktop would be nice but not an option, but, i only need a computer to log information. paly BVE,FS, MSTS ect. im really not into computer based games like WOW or Final fantasy ( ik lol im out of date with those titles). As for thin laptops i could care less, in my line of work a thin laptop wouldnt take what i d give it. Drops, dirt, alil water now and then. I currently have two mobile computers, Acer aspire one, and a Comp. Presario CQ62. The emachine is a tough little thing i must admit.