BVEStation

Author Topic: Transit Wireless Brings Wi-FI to Subway Platforms  (Read 2762 times)

Offline joyjeong15 on youtube

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member and youtube
    • View Profile
    • nyc radio-info and my llife
Transit Wireless Brings Wi-FI to Subway Platforms
« on: September 24, 2011, 06:06:45 pm »

Talking, texting or tweeting on the streets of the city is no problem, but hit the stairs down to the subway station and service shuts down.  But, starting next Tuesday, four subway stations in Manhattan will be
equipped with Wi-Fi and cell phone service.

Between next week and the end of the year, subway riders will be able to use their phones on platforms at Eighth Avenue and 23rd Street and at 14th Street and Sixth, Seventh and Eighth Avenues, though the MTA says that  it can take up to 4 years to wire the rest of the stations. 

But donít worry about loud talkers on the train. Service is only good on the platform, not in the tunnels, although there may be some exceptions if stations are close to each other.

Offline Fox-179

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
Re: Transit Wireless Brings Wi-FI to Subway Platforms
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 07:02:16 pm »
I don't get how messages are played throughout the system on and off trains saying do not display cellphones or other electronic devices but yet Wi-Fi will be available at a few stations.

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 11:30:51 pm »
I'll have a good time laughing when people trip while walking up and down the staircase

Offline error46146

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
    • Photography by me.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 11:49:03 am »
is the wi-fi free?

Offline Rikabs

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 12:44:47 pm »
I'm guessing the wi-fi would accommodate for the longer waiting times in stations. ;-)

Offline Phantom909

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 01:26:17 pm »
This is a waste of time and money. And potentially deadly. If you remember the Madrid train bombings a couple of years ago? They used cell phones to detonate the backpack bombs killing 192 and injuring over 2000 on March 11, 2004

Joe

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 04:37:47 pm »
The wifi better be free, lol.  Knowing the MTA, they'll charge for it since they're cash strapped like that.

That is a good point though Joe.  Every other city has gotten hit with a terrorist bombing in their transit system, except New York.  Still there are critical points in the system where there is cellular signal that can be potentially dangerous, aka Elevated.

I think its probably better if they just have wifi, instead of cellular service, or at least some type of limited wifi.  I always thought the MTA could have their own wifi network down there, and use it to display service changes, and the like.  This would be very useful and not that expensive to do.  All a rider has to do is connect and view.  Almost everybody has a smartphone these days, it is definitely possible.
BVEStation.

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 06:50:53 pm »
Well, with WiFi, you still have those Voice of IP apps to make calls via the internet.

Personally, I think that all of this is unnecessary. You should be paying attention and not texting. Someone could easily shove you into the tracks without you paying attention