BVEStation

Author Topic: Content Contributor  (Read 21130 times)

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
  • 7 Years of Developing for openBVE!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Content Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 09:39:04 pm »
All developers (and moderators and admins for that matter) should put a link to the contributor page in our signatures to increase awareness of the contributor feature.

Offline SubwayTrainOperator5

• Dispatcher
  • R44, R46, and R68 fan / OpenBVE Videomaker
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 09:48:55 pm »
Here's a suggestion: It would be great if the description of the developer's request was directly on the main page of the contributor, so that we would see exactly what it is immediately instead of having to click the Contribute to Project button to see it
Signature Removed (dead link)

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 10:48:02 pm »
While that is a good idea, it doesn't work.  The issue is that you guys are being way too broad, based on what I'm seeing.

Your titles should reflect a very brief description of what you guys are looking for

The description should be a more detailed description of what you are looking for.

For that matter I have changed Name of Project to Title, that way it becomes more like craigslist, where you enter a short description in the title, along with a full description inside.  I would suggest you guys make use of the edit feature that I have just added :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 10:51:20 pm by ipac »
BVEStation.

Offline TJay1724

• Developer
  • Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 11:04:03 pm »
So let me get this straight... As per the terms, your basically saying you want all content to be based on creative commons? Essentially saying that all future uploads to the site cannot be copyright protected? See here's the thing. I have no problem seeking permission from other developers to use some of their work. We work hard and often by ourselves to create content. And while I do think that creative commons is fine for some, it's not for me. I do not like anyone taking my hard work, tweaking it a bit and calling it their own. Thus the reason why ALL my work is and will be copyrighted. If what I asked earlier in this post is correct, I can't see how I can ever post content here again in the future. Save for what's already available.

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 11:07:25 pm »
So let me get this straight... As per the terms, your basically saying you want all content to be based on creative commons? Essentially saying that all future uploads to the site cannot be copyright protected? See here's the thing. I have no problem seeking permission from other developers to use some of their work. We work hard and often by ourselves to create content. And while I do think that creative commons is fine for some, it's not for me. I do not like anyone taking my hard work, tweaking it a bit and calling it their own. Thus the reason why ALL my work is and will be copyrighted. If what I asked earlier in this post is correct, I can't see how I can ever post content here again in the future. Save for what's already available.
The terms of service only apply to the content uploaded to the contributor page. Anything you yourself made (which inherently doesn't come from the contributor page) will still be copyright-protected.

You will still be able to keep current and future uploads to the site fully copyright-protected.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:12:23 pm by Dj Hammers »

Offline TJay1724

• Developer
  • Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 11:28:39 pm »
That I understood. I just can't agree with it. We ask for some assistance from the community, but in exchange, give away the rights to do what we please with our content?? Not sure that sits well with me.

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 11:42:47 pm »
I don't know where you got that idea of everything having to be creative commons.  So I'll clear this up.

BVEStation wishes to encourage creative commons work, and we will do our best to push for these types of work, HOWEVER, no where does it state that we will discontinue support for copyrighted works.  If you still want your work to be copyrighted then we have no problem with that, and we will  still gladly accept your work here.

I would go on to explain to you some things about creative commons, since you appear to have some misconceptions about it, but thats not the point of this post.

As far as the Terms of Service for using the Content Contributor, I'll clear some things up for you, and Hammers, since you too have some minor misconceptions about the ToS itself.

Projects placed for file requests on BVEStation MUST BE put up on the BVEStation Downloads upon completion of the project. This means when your project is complete, you agree to have BVEStation exclusively host your train/route, in its entirety.
This statement is clear, and simple.  If you gathered files using our service (content contributor), we want to host the file exclusively for you as well.

If you simply want to use Content Contributor but do not want your file hosted on BVEStation, there will be a licensing fee which will allow this in the future (You may not use it now if you want to simply use the system but plan to host your file elsewhere).
If you use our service, but do not want BVEStation to exclusively host the file for you, you will have to pay a licensing fee in order to use this service.  No word on the pricing model yet.

When your project is complete, you may submit a submission for the downloads section, and use a temporary host.
This is already something that members do.

Any file uploaded to BVEStation.com automatically grants BVEStation the right to use the file in anyway shape or form, for any purpose, which includes commercial.
This means that any user who wishes to assist you in submitting files, those files themselves that are submitted by the user, will grant BVEStation these rights to use those files as well.  Not the work as a whole.

Any file that is copyright, and is placed onto this system, the offending member will have disciplinary actions taken agaist them.  DO NOT UPLOAD COPYRIGHTED FILES.
A member who has found copyrighted work somewhere and uploads this as their file submission for you, will have disciplinary action taken against them.

These terms are meant to protect BVEStation, and its members.  We don't want other developers to be ripping off the members of BVEStation.  No where does it state anything about the final work being copyright or creative commons or the like.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:56:40 pm by ipac »
BVEStation.

Offline TJay1724

• Developer
  • Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 12:16:09 am »
That was where the confusion came in. Thanks for clarifying that. But you really should specify exactly what you just told me about the files. As it stands, when you read that specific part, it seems like your talking about the work as a whole, and not the contributions made through the content contributor. You scared me for a moment there. Lol. I have some awsome content coming up. A massive amount of content I must say. And my work has always been exclusive to bvestation. ;)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 12:17:53 am by TJay1724 »

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 01:09:55 am »
Sorry if it wasn't clear then, by "this system" we're talking about the content contributor and the files placed on it only.  We just don't want members to be illegally posting files that aren't theirs onto the system.  Obviously this has happened before, and depending on how you look at it, we're actually protecting the copyrights of the original author.  :)

I'm sure the community here loves the work you do, and we'd like you to continue to do that.
BVEStation.

Offline TJay1724

• Developer
  • Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 01:38:56 am »
Agreed. 100%

Offline [CT1660]

• Dispatcher
  • openBVE Developer, OMSI Repainter & Engine Modder
    • View Profile
    • Enter The Lair
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 07:11:51 am »
This will come in handy.

Offline Haven

• Dispatcher
  • Stand Clear Of The Closing Doors Please *DingDong*
    • View Profile
    • SEPTATransitFan's Youtube Channel Please Subscribe!!
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2012, 08:07:02 am »
Okay hey guys!!! Im going to start the SEPTA B-IV, M4 and possibly the N5 but that may not happen because i cant go up to Norristown -_-. too far from where i live. I can possibly get the Silverliner 2, 3 4 and 5 cars too. These can also run on HayleyWilliamsFan Amtrak route, and the LIRR route.

BRACE YOURSELVES :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/havenas1020yt
Please Subscribe To My Youtube Channel

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 08:24:38 pm »
I would suggest that members could obtain some sort of reward for contributing content.

Of course the developer who created the project ticket would determine if the member who contributed deserves the reward based on whether or not they obtain what is needed to prevent junk from being uploaded for rewards.

This would motivate more members to contribute, instead of sitting around waiting for somebody else to contribute.

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2012, 11:18:33 pm »
Would you like to suggest some incentives?
BVEStation.

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2012, 12:42:04 pm »
Brainstormed:

Contributors get a special designation on their profile
Contributors recieve BETA's of the content they contribute to
Contributors get money for a shop system
Any warning points a contributor may have maybe be reduced or eliminated

Of course whether or not a contributor should be rewarded should be based the quality of the content they contribute and if they got what was needed as outlined by the description.