BVEStation

Author Topic: OpenBVE & Fraps  (Read 5429 times)

Offline Orion V CNG #748

• Operator
    • View Profile
OpenBVE & Fraps
« on: July 25, 2012, 04:41:15 am »
ok heres the story. I open up Openbve and record it with fraps. After I finish the video I realized the video size was over 2GB. No im not talking about MegaBytes. Im talking about those heavy duty GIGABYTES. even though I only played for 8 minutes. EIGHT SHORT MINUTES!!  ??? I uploaded the video on youtube and took 2+ hours to upload. And my question was that is this normal especially to other people who uses fraps. What am I doing wrong?

Any advice is appreciated.

And BTW This is my first time using Fraps, so if this is normal please dont start an argument over this one thing. Usually with another screen recorder im familiar with, 8 minutes of the OpenBVE wouldnt be that big of the size
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 04:48:12 am by Orion V CNG #748 »

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
Re: OpenBVE & Fraps
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 07:33:40 am »
Fraps doesn't compress video files. You already know that Fraps eats FPS on most computers, and imagine the processor having to use resources to compress the recorded video at the same time. Video compression/encoding actually takes up a lot of resources, so it would be impossible for fraps to shrink the video size as you record it. Therefore, you have to compress the video yourself.

Now, you'll need a program like VirtualDub to compress the file. Depending on the speed of your system, this could take a lot of time as well as resources, so don't bother playing openBVE or any other game to pass time

VirtualDub can be downloaded here: http://www.virtualdub.org/
Tutorials are on Youtube but where I am now, Youtube is censored so you'll have to find them yourself

Offline Orion V CNG #748

• Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 07:45:15 am »
ok, thanks for informing me with this information. This shortens my frustration, but for now i'll use a different screen recorder. Usually other screen recorders like Bandicam doesnt do this but its fine.

Offline Fan Railer

• Global Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • Train Developer
    • View Profile
    • Fan Railer's YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 12:39:58 am »
If you have the new windows 7 movie maker, its a lot easier to just run the file through that, since it gives you options to compress the file at the expense of quality / resolution. A raw 2 gig file shouldn't take more than 10 min to compress with movie maker, and I find the compression ratio to be quite acceptable depending on the resolution I choose to render the video in.

Offline ???????????????

• Regular Developer
  • Supervisor
  • ??????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 06:52:04 pm »
ok heres the story. I open up Openbve and record it with fraps. After I finish the video I realized the video size was over 2GB. No im not talking about MegaBytes. Im talking about those heavy duty GIGABYTES. even though I only played for 8 minutes. EIGHT SHORT MINUTES!!  ??? I uploaded the video on youtube and took 2+ hours to upload. And my question was that is this normal especially to other people who uses fraps. What am I doing wrong?

Any advice is appreciated.

And BTW This is my first time using Fraps, so if this is normal please dont start an argument over this one thing. Usually with another screen recorder im familiar with, 8 minutes of the OpenBVE wouldnt be that big of the size

i believe MP3/MP4 are better for upload...

but depend on your internet connection such as slow or middle or fast...

Offline Orion V CNG #748

• Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 07:49:04 pm »
My internet speed isn't that bad. Not too fast or too slow :P But I've decided to stick with Bandicam. It isn't that bad though, doesn't take up too much memory on my computer, and its almost like fraps, but better....for me it is. lol