BVEStation

Author Topic: BETA testing  (Read 15025 times)

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
BETA testing
« on: October 31, 2011, 05:55:57 pm »
I just have a thought I'd like to share.

With a bunch of new users asking in every route/train thread about BETA testing, this thought just popped in my head. In my opinion, some of these users don't care about testing, they just want to get the route/train earlier and not have to wait for the final thing. I think that testers should just be limited to trustworthy people, instead of a first come first serve basis. BETA testers should be people who can notice mistakes, notice errors, write out constructive criticism, etc. They should be people who know what needs to be fixed, who notice the little things, stuff like that. I think that some developers should be a little bit more selective on who they choose to BETA test their routes.

For example, someone who can notice ever little mistake, such as Simon, would be a better BETA tester then those who just signed up to ask for a BETA copy

Just a thought of mine. Constructive criticism for this idea is welcomed. And FYI to some of you, constructive criticism doesn't mean saying "it sucks" and then leaving.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 06:09:31 pm by YankeesPwnMets »

Offline peacemak3r

• Dispatcher
  • NYCTF
    • View Profile
Re: BETA testing
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 05:59:33 pm »
Best bet is not having a BETA test actually, it's practically pointless.  Instead of BETA testing, I'd say the developers themselves should just review them with other developers. You could call that BETA testing itself without the nitpicking selections.

I mean I don't mind BETA testing but with my extensive work schedule and classes, I don't have time to point out mistakes and such and thus never really ask for BETA testing.

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 06:00:40 pm »
Best bet is not having a BETA test actually, it's practically pointless.  Instead of BETA testing, I'd say the developers themselves should just review them with other developers. You could call that BETA testing itself without the nitpicking selections.

I mean I don't mind BETA testing but with my extensive work schedule and classes, I don't have time to point out mistakes and such and thus never really ask for BETA testing.
Same as well. I didn't even know that BETA testing for some content was even held until  I saw videos of some content not for download put on YouTube.

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
  • 7 Years of Developing for openBVE!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 06:03:17 pm »
I completely agree. That is why i have a selection process for BETA testing for my projects.

I actually find BETA testing useful, it helped me find and fix a lot of issues with both the R38 and the R33WF.

The problem is that a lot of people BETA test because they want the content early, not because they want to help further the progress of the project.

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 06:08:58 pm »
Developers, as we've seen, already have busy schedules. They have to concentrate on their own stuff, and to give them other developers stuff would take even more of their time. There are some users here who have much more free time then others, and some of these users can be very helpful in testings. Others, ehh, not so much

I don't mind BETA testing anything, but with my schedule, I may as well just forget that I was supposed to test something, which is the reason why I rarely sign up for testing nowadays. I don't want to keep the developers waiting.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 06:11:31 pm by YankeesPwnMets »

Offline theflyingoreo

• Global Moderator
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 06:09:17 pm »
The problem is that a lot of people BETA test because they want the content early, not because they want to help further the progress of the project.

That is the case 95% of the time.

Offline Gong Gahou

• Operator
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 07:03:49 pm »
This is not the only thing that's getting ridiculous. It seems that the same users keep posting the same thing over and over again - they have absolutely nothing to contribute to the community other than inquiring about the progress, showing how needy and impatient they are, and, of course, asking for BETAs.

I'm okay with BETA testing, but after a few BETA tests and not having so much time to write constructive responses, I eventually stopped applying for BETA testing. Now I prefer the released version better than any BETA - it's the one that passed through many reviews and testing and is acceptable enough to be placed in the Downloads section. It's too bad that there are some users who exploit BETA testing to their own selfish needs.

As an alternative to BETA testing, a YouTube video or even snapshots would definitely work. That is enough to give feedback. That's what I think.

Previously known as pjiang6211

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 07:25:28 pm »
I would only BETA test for a special case, for example, the content needs a above average PC to run on.

Other then that, I normally don't ask. However, I do think it would be wise for developers to be stricter on their selection of BETA testers

Offline Rayvon

• Operator
  • BVEStation Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 08:12:53 pm »
All my testing is done in-house. Sometimes I'll ask a staff member to try it out and see if its good but other than that, i release stuff whenever I feel that it's presentable. If I release a BETA then it's only because I dont have time to perfect it

Offline error46146

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
    • Photography by me.
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 08:54:55 pm »
Some people want to beta-test, as said, so they can get things early. In the past, when I send out a train for people to beta-test I usually get about a 50% turnover rate (in other words about half the people I sent it out to actually replied back telling me how it was).

Personally I don't care if you want to freeload then w/e (but at least say nice job or something); for this reason that is why I offer beta-testing early, and make sure the final version released will be different from the beta. This helps keeps the integrity of the project.

Offline Simon

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member / Community Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 09:07:16 pm »
For example, someone who can notice ever little mistake, such as Simon, would be a better BETA tester then those who just signed up to ask for a BETA copy

Why thank you lol. Don't know if I should consider that a compliment or a criticism, but it's all good either way  ;).

« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:11:07 pm by Simon »
Kawasaki_Plant

Offline nelson3001

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 11:14:57 pm »
I completely agree. That is why i have a selection process for BETA testing for my projects.

I actually find BETA testing useful, it helped me find and fix a lot of issues with both the R38 and the R33WF.

You're R33 is pretty much perfect. Maybe If you find some front shots of the train and replace it it'll probably be better. I also applied my little side exterior i did on one side to do a nice comparison between both if I do a video or take screenshots.

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
  • 7 Years of Developing for openBVE!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 11:36:54 pm »
You're R33 is pretty much perfect. Maybe If you find some front shots of the train and replace it it'll probably be better. I also applied my little side exterior i did on one side to do a nice comparison between both if I do a video or take screenshots.
Thanks for the compliment!

But in regards to the BETA testing, it seems that some of these people who ask to BETA test don't even understand what BETA testing is.
They just think that the word BETA is a fancy name we give to a system in which they think only exists to give out content early.

I'm not naming names, but the selfishness and ignorance of some of the recently registered people on this forum is simply astounding. I'm quite frankly very embarrassed to be part of the same community as them.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 11:40:05 pm by Dj Hammers »

Offline nelson3001

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 11:50:48 pm »

But in regards to the BETA testing, it seems that some of these people who ask to BETA test don't even understand what BETA testing is.
They just think that the word BETA is a fancy name we give to a system in which they think only exists to give out content early.

I'm not naming names, but the selfishness and ignorance of some of the recently registered people on this forum is simply astounding. I'm quite frankly very embarrassed to be part of the same community as them.
I notice that people just don't know how to be patient. They think that with BETA testing they can just collect the flie and leave. That's not how it works.

Offline Failsafe

• Operator
  • Community Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 12:47:13 pm »

Word I Agree stop asking for BETA test u probably don't know what it even means. Being Patient will grant rewards so just wait. I for one also get annoyed when people are constantly bugging developers for BETA test and routes. I my self make routes and i hate it when people do that its just annoying.
Bvestation Police Department-To protect and serve