BVEStation

Author Topic: NovaBus LFS 8017 DONE+6 Cars also DONE.  (Read 16850 times)

Offline Dr. Subway18

• Operator
  • proud 1999 Kenworth W900B owner(NTC cummins, 10sp)
    • View Profile
Re: NovaBus LFS 8017 DONE+6 Cars also DONE.
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 01:49:48 am »
Ahh now I get it. The gas tank is PLASTIC, yes a PLASTIC gas tank.
http://nyctransitforums.com/forums/index.php/topic/34285-mattress-sparks-bizarre-bus-blaze-as-six-cars-get-torched-in-brooklyn/page__st__25#entry523564
Quote from: Cait Sith
From what was said when I made my visit to the depot yesterday, the mattress got mangled up underneath the bus and was dragged. It got dragged to the point where it started to get really hot and something punctured the plastic fuel tank (yes, I said plastic).
that makes sense. but how do you run a mattress over? its not like a manhole cover or everyday street trash lol

You have to remember it was in the night. You cannot see that well in the dark.

Buses have big headlights, and there are streetlights too, there is no reason why the bus driver should not have seen the mattress clearly enough to react in at least some way. Unless of course the driver could not notice it in time because the bus was going fast, or something.
yes

Offline [CT1660]

• Dispatcher
  • openBVE Developer, OMSI Repainter & Engine Modder
    • View Profile
    • Enter The Lair
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 03:41:48 am »
http://nyctransitforums.com/forums/index.php/topic/34285-mattress-sparks-bizarre-bus-blaze-as-six-cars-get-torched-in-brooklyn/page__st__25#entry523564
From what was said when I made my visit to the depot yesterday, the mattress got mangled up underneath the bus and was dragged. It got dragged to the point where it started to get really hot and something punctured the plastic fuel tank (yes, I said plastic).
that makes sense. but how do you run a mattress over? its not like a manhole cover or everyday street trash lol

Buses have big headlights, and there are streetlights too, there is no reason why the bus driver should not have seen the mattress clearly enough to react in at least some way. Unless of course the driver could not notice it in time because the bus was going fast, or something.
yes

He may not have had time to swerve around the mattress, especially that the average speed is around 60-70mph. At that speed, it was either going to be the bus, or the passengers (it could have rolled over if the passenger load was uneven)

At least the passengers were okay.

Offline Fox-179

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 08:23:06 am »
Honestly use your brains a bit more think its night time some streets can be darker than other.And lets be real here its f'kin NYC theres always weird/odd stuff around somewhere before the bus got on the bridge it was dragging the mattress(supposedly).The mattress could had been right in the vicinity of a garbage space and the mattress would had been side swiped and dragged/caught under the bus whether it was in the front or the back.

Offline Dr. Subway18

• Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 08:35:57 am »

yes

He may not have had time to swerve around the mattress, especially that the average speed is around 60-70mph. At that speed, it was either going to be the bus, or the passengers (it could have rolled over if the passenger load was uneven)

so if he didnt have time to swerve why drag it that far. any problems with a bus with passengers you ARE suppose to stop immediately regardless of where you are. why drag it across the bridge if he saw it? my guess is he wasnt paying attention and it was run over, human error thats all modt likely, thank god nobody was hurt.   :D

Offline Mr Railfan

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Train Developer and Route Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 09:29:21 am »

yes

so if he didnt have time to swerve why drag it that far. any problems with a bus with passengers you ARE suppose to stop immediately regardless of where you are. why drag it across the bridge if he saw it? my guess is he wasnt paying attention and it was run over, human error thats all modt likely, thank god nobody was hurt.   :D

this was my theory as well maybe he didn't have time to swerve around or couldn't because there were cars in the way . He didn't stop because he probably thought he just ran it over and it passed by below . the mattress then got stuck and the Spring from the mattress started rubbing o the asphalt/concrete which created sparks and caught the mattress itself on fire . Since the gas tank is plastic[as someone here stated earlier] the ignited mattress simply melted the plastic gas tank. The tank didnt explode because Diesel fuel doesnt explode unless theres a very high pressure in the tank. Either that or the fuel line ruptured from the springs of the mattress rubbing on it and it got ignited by a spark.

Offline R62A 2067

• Conductor
  • Hauling ass, one train at a time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 10:20:39 am »

yes

this was my theory as well maybe he didn't have time to swerve around or couldn't because there were cars in the way . He didn't stop because he probably thought he just ran it over and it passed by below . the mattress then got stuck and the Spring from the mattress started rubbing o the asphalt/concrete which created sparks and caught the mattress itself on fire . Since the gas tank is plastic[as someone here stated earlier] the ignited mattress simply melted the plastic gas tank. The tank didnt explode because Diesel fuel doesnt explode unless theres a very high pressure in the tank. Either that or the fuel line ruptured from the springs of the mattress rubbing on it and it got ignited by a spark.

That makes sense. Or the springs drilled a hole somewhere and gas started spewing out..
Well, guess I'm back.
FYI: Known as Casey Stengel.

Offline SubwayTrainOperator5

• Dispatcher
  • R44, R46, and R68 fan / OpenBVE Videomaker
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 11:14:24 am »
Maybe the bus driver wanted to first get off the bridge and onto land before evacuating because nobody would have to go very far. Another possibility is that he maybe did not even notice it until in Bay Ridge after the fire became more noticable/was finally reported by a passenger.
Signature Removed (dead link)

Offline bve

• Dispatcher
  • OMSI anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 01:11:29 pm »

yes

You can't just stop dead in the middle of the lane on the Verrazano. You have cars passing with speeds in excess of 45+ mph.
Favorite LFS Powertrain: Cummins ISL 9 EPA10
                                        Allison WB-400R Gen IV
Favorite CNG/Diesel Engine: Detroit Diesel Series 50

Favorite Transmission Make: Allison Transmission

Offline SubwayTrainOperator5

• Dispatcher
  • R44, R46, and R68 fan / OpenBVE Videomaker
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 01:16:33 pm »
Exactly my point, which is why the bus driver probably wanted to first get to the other side of the bridge and onto land, where there would be a safe place to stop and evacuate. Sometimes you just have no choice but to wait until it is safe to evacuate.
Signature Removed (dead link)

Offline Dr. Subway18

• Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2012, 02:20:45 pm »
Exactly my point, which is why the bus driver probably wanted to first get to the other side of the bridge and onto land, where there would be a safe place to stop and evacuate. Sometimes you just have no choice but to wait until it is safe to evacuate.
yeah your right, on the narrows its hard to stop completely with all the jackass drivers up there. no offence to anybody.