BVEStation

Author Topic: Hosting More Content  (Read 5546 times)

Offline BStyles

• Head Admin
  • Operator
  • The CEO
    • View Profile
Hosting More Content
« on: July 03, 2011, 01:36:14 am »
For the past decade or so, we have all enjoyed using British content for BVE. I know I have. Some of the most profound developers across the globe have created content for this great simulator, free of charge, for all of us to enjoy. Most of these developers have helped me achieve some things that I never thought I could do, four years ago, when I began using BVE.

But now, some disturbing events have been brought to light. I didn't pay attention to it at first, but then I started to notice that entire BVE websites started closing down, one by one, housing said great content. What I'm beginning to hear, and don't take this the wrong way, because I have not been paying attention to it lately, but a group of members have been constantly bashing some of those developers, some being administrators to their own websites, and finally being unable to take the bashing any longer, they closed their sites down, indefinitely. It's heartbreaking, but it was their decision.

Before I get to the point that I'm trying to express in this topic, I would just like to say that these members have to realize that the content is not theirs, and there are rules put in place that they need to follow. If they do not like what they getting, then they don't have to play the simulator; there are thousands of other games out there that they can so gladly pay for. There's even a whole world out there that they can travel and go see with their families, instead of sitting behind a computer screen and bashing world renowned content creators. I find it ironic that this stupidity has gone on for over 10 years from a bunch of petty, ungrateful, set of people, probably grown adults, acting like a bunch of seven-year-old children, but I digress.

Anyway, with all of the sites now taken down, and some of the developers from across the pond looking for a safe place to host the content, why not host the content here? It's impossible to guarantee a safe environment for these developers, no, but we can ensure that the content is respected, and their work will always be valued here. I call out to guillyman, whom I’ve known for a while now, he has been updating our site regularly with their developments, to call on other developers they know, who have been treated harshly by those ungrateful members, to host their content here, BVEStation. We may host New York City Transit routes as a majority, yes, but we are also open to content from other parts of the world, because I believe that this is a unified community. Their opinions would be appreciated, whether they like it or not, we will understand.

BStyles
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 11:45:30 pm by ipac »

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hosting More Content
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 01:48:11 pm »
There are hundreds of instances where I've seen developers on BVEStation wanting to develop for other transit systems other than NYCT.  Some of the members here, including styles himself have once told them that we are a strictly NYCT site only.  I want to let everyone know this is not true, and that we are most certainly open to everyone.  Any developer who is willing to put some reasonable effort into their work, will do fine here.  Sure we may have shot down some developers who produced some mediocre work in the past, and they had every reason to quit, (here at BVEStation, we dont deny the wrong-doings that we've done in the past) but their persistence in finding answers have led them to create something much better than what they have in the past.

It is ultimately the author's decision whether they chose to have it hosted (anywhere for that matter) or not, there isn't anything we can do but to respect their decisions, whether we, the community, or themselves like it or not.
BVEStation.

Offline TJay1724

• Developer
  • Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 02:52:47 pm »
I am all for this. I have personally spoken with highly regarded developers in the BVE community such as Steve Green and Anthony Bowden, and I would love for developers of any decent content from any country to host here. I agree 100%.

Offline Rayvon

• Operator
  • BVEStation Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 11:24:03 am »
I was actually discussing this with Kevin the other day when I posted the news topic. It would be cool but there would be some things we'd have to decide on and agree with before we reach out to any developers, mainly our downloads section. I do have some ideas for that though
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 11:29:06 am by Rayvon »