BVEStation

Author Topic: BVE Suggestions  (Read 6665 times)

Offline Rells89

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
BVE Suggestions
« on: June 18, 2013, 06:56:58 pm »
hey i was wondering, instead of downloading the bve program and then the trains and then the routs separately why not have it where everyone can download it all together so it can be so much easier and not an waste of time, is it possible for that to happend??

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
  • 7 Years of Developing for openBVE!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: BVE Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 08:18:50 pm »
It's something we have been thinking about for a while. The issue is that the download would be tens of gigabytes in size and would take a really long time.

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 11:06:24 pm »
Well the current count in the downloads section is about 2GB, so its certainly possible.  The time it takes to compile it all into one file though will take a very long time.  I dont think any of us have that level of resources to do that yet.  We did think about putting it on disks though, but those disks cannot be free, since we'd have to pay for shipping and CD/DVD costs.
BVEStation.

Offline Rells89

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 05:43:51 pm »
That would be awsome to have it on a disk, good idea

Offline CrazyMarty

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 11:04:52 am »
I just tried an experiment with only the non-fiction Railway files.  It comes to ~647.5 MB using 7z and its ultra
compression.  That's not so bad.  I think I left some rar/exe files in that, so I may be able to shave off a couple more
Meg, as well.  I'll fiddle with it & report back, probably later today.

Offline CrazyMarty

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 01:25:29 pm »
Ok, I think this is as small as I can make it.  I've deleted all the Thumbs.db, rars, zips, and exes.  Everything else is intact (though various readme.txts have been moved to more appropriate subdirectories).

619340 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 634198613 2013-07-21 13:21 /tmp/nonfic.7z

So, 619.3 Meg in a 7z file for all the non-fiction Railways here.

Up to now, I have not paid that much attention to the Trains, but I may be able to do the same for them today and/or tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 01:28:09 pm by CrazyMarty »

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 03:18:57 pm »
Compressing everything into one download would be nice, but some people choose not to download certain routes and if its compressed into one huge file, then the routes they don't want will be downloaded as well and waste time for them. An interesting idea is to make it into a torrent, where everything can be put into one torrent file (which itself is a small file) and then when you download that torrent, certain routes can be deselected in a torrent client so that they won't be downloaded. This way, it would only require one manual download and the routes that users don't want won't have to be downloaded. However, this will require constant seeders and also I know that not everybody likes using torrents....

Oh well... just an idea thrown out there
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 04:18:40 pm by YankeesPwnMets »

Offline CrazyMarty

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 03:51:44 pm »
No, the request here (as I read it) was to package up all the separate NYCT routes for BVE/OpenBVE into a single download, so I simply made a new Railway directory (folder) and unpacked only the non-fictional routes from the download page here.

Oh, and OpenBVE is not set up to model the whole system, just 1 line in 1 direction at a time.

And www.simulatorcentral.com/index.php/trainz-simulator-12.html is $39.90, whereas OpenBVE is free.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 03:56:47 pm by CrazyMarty »

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 04:18:24 pm »
Yeah, my bad. I misread. I edited the original post.

Offline Fumxe

• New Recruit
  • 42nd St Shuttle in the works!
    • View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 06:23:37 pm »
There are more than just the NYCT routes. There are not just thousands but millions of individual route sets out there.