BVEStation

Author Topic: (Q) Local to Coney Island  (Read 8183 times)

Offline Lashrathorus

• New Recruit
  • Chief Executive Officer, NGEX Design Inc.
    • View Profile
(Q) Local to Coney Island
« on: January 15, 2013, 07:29:31 pm »
Hey there BVEStation fans,

I'm pleased to announce I have started development of the (Q) Local and Express lines to Coney Island. As some of you might know, my background is a C++ and an iOS Developer (just like Robery Nay, naygames.com), so learning the language of RW is just like learning PHP to me. (completely different)

That being said, this route will not be released on BVEStation, as I have understood there are developers already working on this route. However, after registering Copyright on this using my Company's name, I will host this download seperately on my company's website. Any contribution will be welcomed and the outstanding contributers will receive alpha / beta releases.

This is why I am posting this:
I don't live in New York. I am NOT American. I am Canadian. And I cannot film/take pictures of the subway from here.

The following are what I am looking for:

1. the switch over to 49th street station on weekdays
2. the switch back over to the express route after making the local stops on weekdays
3. coney island station textures
4. 49th street brick wall textures.

Let the contributions begin! All content is welcomed, but only the best will qualify for the initial testing...............

Regards,
Lashrathorus
~ Lashrathius
Official developer of the (R) to Forest Hills.
Teamspeak - ts10.bargainvoice.com:7118

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
  • 7 Years of Developing for openBVE!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: (Q) Local to Coney Island
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 09:07:26 pm »
Just wondering, why the parallel development? Rather than having two versions of the same route, could a route that is not currently in development (Such as the Queens-Bound 7) be made? Overall, this provides more benefit for the worldwide BVE community as a whole.

Offline Lashrathorus

• New Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 10:29:08 pm »
This is just a small project for myself as a beginner. I just thought it would be easier to base this off (but definitely NOT copy) the current Express, as I don't live in NYC and it's really hard to imagine what a route would look like without actually being there to observe through the front windows of the actual subway.

The reason for the Local version is so I can model the (Q) bit by bit since the skeleton is there and I know the tunnel structure from the previous released versions. This provides an experience without the greater challenge of a complete empty line without a skeleton. The (Q) Local version that I have, however, already has the tunnel skeletons / structures all laid out in front of me. All I have to do (which I consider as practice) is code the tracks and stations. Just practice for a new beginner to RW files. CSV, to me, is too much to handle ATM, so RW is the format I'm currently using for my code.
~ Lashrathius

Offline Nicholas Blonski

• Operator
  • OMSI, openBVE, and Transit videomaker.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 10:42:56 pm »
Just wondering, why the parallel development? Rather than having two versions of the same route, could a route that is not currently in development (Such as the Queens-Bound 7) be made? Overall, this provides more benefit for the worldwide BVE community as a whole.

If he wants to create his own version, let him do it. I'm interested to see what will become of this.

Good luck with this!
A.K.A Skinnylee2 (http://www.youtube.com/skinnylee2). I am also the fill-in guy for SubwayTrainOperator5, so I sometimes upload openBVE videos onto his channel.
Favourite engine sound: Detroit Diesel Series 50
Favourite transmission sound: Allison B400R4/5
Talk smack to me on this forum and you will be reported to a moderator. No exceptions.

Offline Lashrathorus

• New Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 11:43:28 pm »
Hopefully not sarcastically Nicholas but thanks!

and again, it's just experimental. A new developer always has to start with something simple. And since I have already mastered the basic tutorial routes, and since the (Q) is one of my favourite routes, I just thought it might be a good starting project.

Third rail sparks are currently in the process of the making - to give you guys an update. When your train switches from the left third rail to the right, it will cause a blue spark bright enough to be seen in the cab. Currently very unstable since I am mirroring (but not copying) the Northern Line Tube's sparks so it may be included or taken out. We shall see...  ;)
As for the overall route, I'll try to move a few guys from my company's "Art & Design" department to temporary assist me with this to get this done in a month or two.

~ Lashrathius

Offline error46146

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
    • Photography by me.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 11:50:02 pm »
Q trains switch between the Express and Local track on weekdays using the X switch just north of the 34th Street station.

Offline Lashrathorus

• New Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 02:09:10 am »
[Update]: As of Jan. 17, 2013, third rail sparks will be revoked until my company's Graphics Department gives me better spark images instead of just a blue circle.

As for the route - any X switch code is appreciated. I am currently coding in RW, as I am unfamiliar with .CSV. If I can do "more" with CSV, I will switch, though it will delay the development as I have to re-teach my developers how to code in a new format.

Please give me a few suggestions, possibly a comparison of what I can achieve in CSV, as I have heard countless requests.

Regards,
Lashrathorus
~ Lashrathius

Offline Mr Railfan

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Train Developer and Route Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 04:07:49 am »
[Update]: As of Jan. 17, 2013, third rail sparks will be revoked until my company's Graphics Department gives me better spark images instead of just a blue circle.

As for the route - any X switch code is appreciated. I am currently coding in RW, as I am unfamiliar with .CSV. If I can do "more" with CSV, I will switch, though it will delay the development as I have to re-teach my developers how to code in a new format.

Please give me a few suggestions, possibly a comparison of what I can achieve in CSV, as I have heard countless requests.

Regards,
Lashrathorus

Well .RW is outdated and it doesn't support many new features. For example, .rw can process limited animations (to my understanding) and many animated objects will not work properly if at all. I mainly utilize .CSV coding because it can support animated effects such as sparks on the rails, animated moving objects(such as moving trains on other tracks) and animated signals such as timed signals. It also supports animated tripcocks. You are also limited in the number of commands you can do in .RW compared to .CSV.

On a side note, good luck worth your project. I will be releasing the modified (Q) line [originally released by jayjay85] from astoria going to Brighton beach with animated signals and such most likely this weekend(Delayed from earlier this week due to some personal things i need to attend to first).

If you need any help feel free to post. Also, my suggestion is that you should build the route going the opposite way coming out of Coney Island and going to 57 Street or Astoria, this way we don't have a split/duplicate project.

Offline Lashrathorus

• New Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 12:32:14 pm »

Well .RW is outdated and it doesn't support many new features. For example, .rw can process limited animations (to my understanding) and many animated objects will not work properly if at all. I mainly utilize .CSV coding because it can support animated effects such as sparks on the rails, animated moving objects(such as moving trains on other tracks) and animated signals such as timed signals. It also supports animated tripcocks. You are also limited in the number of commands you can do in .RW compared to .CSV.

On a side note, good luck worth your project. I will be releasing the modified (Q) line [originally released by jayjay85] from astoria going to Brighton beach with animated signals and such most likely this weekend(Delayed from earlier this week due to some personal things i need to attend to first).

If you need any help feel free to post. Also, my suggestion is that you should build the route going the opposite way coming out of Coney Island and going to 57 Street or Astoria, this way we don't have a split/duplicate project.

I did notice the limitations of .RW. The sparks were implemented when I started to experiment with some CSV code with the London Underground Northern Line .CSV. I basically copied and pasted some LUL Northern Line CSV code to an existing .CSV file from the current (Q).
[for the record, its just experiment and I never planned on copy and pasting. its just something I experimented with] - thats where the sparks are from.

Since I'll have some time this weekend, I will try and migrate over to .CSV and transition my developers over. Will post an update tonight.

Regards,
Lashrathorus
~ Lashrathius

Offline Haven

• Dispatcher
  • Stand Clear Of The Closing Doors Please *DingDong*
    • View Profile
    • SEPTATransitFan's Youtube Channel Please Subscribe!!
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 02:38:36 pm »

Chill. Inciting is not the way to go.
http://www.youtube.com/user/havenas1020yt
Please Subscribe To My Youtube Channel

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
  • 7 Years of Developing for openBVE!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 03:53:15 pm »
Chill. Inciting is not the way to go.
From the Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

Inciting (Verb):

Encourage or stir up (violent or unlawful behavior).

What I posted was a question that did not stir up behavior (In the case of these forums, an argument/flamewar) that does not follow the rules.
As you can see, what I have posted is not inciting. Have fun taking the SAT English section!

Lets get back on topic
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 03:55:29 pm by Dj Hammers »