BVEStation

Author Topic: (RELEASED) Official Thread for SIR North Shore's New Tech Trains  (Read 303021 times)

Offline Fox-179

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
Re: [OpenBVE] Official Thread for SIR North Shore's New Tech Trains
« Reply #195 on: June 14, 2011, 10:59:36 pm »
If it takes you 20 minutes with high speed broadband, there is something wrong with your connection then.

I'm sure he was being sarcastic about that time but I get internet off the air downloading about 150kpb/s and a 50MB file takes about 5min.But I know where he's coming from.

But updating the entire folder is un necessary.I have about 3 versions of the R-179 so thats 9 files I have v1 v2.0 and v3.

Offline (SIR) North Shore Line

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 14, 2011, 11:04:30 pm »
You don't have to download it if you don't want to. When I was releasing just the updated files people were complaining even more about why I wasn't including the entire train with it.  ???

Also, the days of holding back on content because someone has a slow internet connection or ancient graphics card are over! It's about time that we push OpenBVE to it's limits even if it means a 152 MB download. Any other sim such as Trainz or Railworks has individual locomotives that are 300+ MB by themselves. And also read the readme, as it states to delete older versions of the R179 (V1-V4).

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 11:09:28 pm by (SIR) North Shore Line »

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
  • 7 Years of Developing for openBVE!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #197 on: June 14, 2011, 11:08:31 pm »
I would suggest converting all textures to PNG in order to save space anyway. Smaller file sizes also mean faster loading times in OpenBVE.

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 14, 2011, 11:14:03 pm »
I would suggest converting all textures to PNG in order to save space anyway. Smaller file sizes also mean faster loading times in OpenBVE.

Good idea, I'll have that done for version 6.

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Major R179 Update! [OpenBVE] Official Thread for SIR North Shore's New.....
« Reply #199 on: June 15, 2011, 01:45:07 pm »
Introducing the R179 Version 6!

Updates Include:

-New File structure so that a full re-download is not required after V6. Instead, when an update is released an incremental update file will be available as well as the full train.

-New textures.

-New R179s signed up for Jamaica Center (E) or (Z) and WTC-bound (E).

-If you have any new signs for the R179 send me a PM and I'll add it to the download pack.

Download on first page

REMEMBER: Please remove older versions of R179 first before installing version 6! This will be the last time this is required.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 01:51:13 pm by (SIR) North Shore Line »

Offline peacemak3r

• Dispatcher
  • NYCTF
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 15, 2011, 02:34:45 pm »
Great stuff!

Just wondering, when would you start incorporating the tail-lights for the trains.  Not to be nit-picking but seeing headlights as the tails never seems right.

Offline Lance

• Operator
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 15, 2011, 06:55:07 pm »
You don't have to download it if you don't want to. When I was releasing just the updated files people were complaining even more about why I wasn't including the entire train with it.  ???

Also, the days of holding back on content because someone has a slow internet connection or ancient graphics card are over! It's about time that we push OpenBVE to it's limits even if it means a 152 MB download. Any other sim such as Trainz or Railworks has individual locomotives that are 300+ MB by themselves. And also read the readme, as it states to delete older versions of the R179 (V1-V4).

I really didn't mean to come off as ungrateful or anything with my last post, nor do I want you or anyone else to downgrade your work to meet the demands of outdated computers. I just meant the primary trains (the regular R179, the 8-car version and the one with Alstom propulsion) could've been packaged as one download and the extras as another. That's all. I appreciate all the work you and the other developers here are doing for the BVE community and am especially grateful that you make these trains as we wouldn't have a good R142 for this site for starters.

'70s style service sign at Times Sq-42 St.

Offline BStyles

• Head Admin
  • Operator
  • The CEO
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 15, 2011, 07:03:55 pm »
Any other sim such as Trainz or Railworks has individual locomotives that are 300+ MB by themselves.

This is an exaggeration, as most trains don't exceed 20-30MB. But I see the Idea you're getting at.

Great stuff!

Just wondering, when would you start incorporating the tail-lights for the trains.  Not to be nit-picking but seeing headlights as the tails never seems right.

The 142 Exterior, as well as all the animations, sounds, etc. will be worked on by me, in due time. I'm currently working on the interior and i'm studying the code from most LUL trains.

SIR is right, though. We can't continue to make content easy to run for those who have low-end computers. This is 2011, and as much as i'm aware that cash is tight right now, you really have to take into consideration that time is moving on.

BStyles

Offline peacemak3r

• Dispatcher
  • NYCTF
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 15, 2011, 08:37:47 pm »
@Bstyles ;; I wasn't asking about the 142 exterior.  But in theory, yes.  The R142 using the R152 (I believe) exterior has tail-lights instead of showing headlights.  Concerning the R143/R160 train-set exteriors we got, it looks as if we are using the front car's face as the rear car's face as well.  Hence showing headlights both front and back.

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 15, 2011, 09:10:13 pm »
Great stuff!

Thanks! The rear headlights are just a placeholder, as soon as I get the texture files for the rear and in between the cars, hopefully it'll look much better.

I really didn't mean to come off as ungrateful or anything with my last post, nor do I want you or anyone else to downgrade your work to meet the demands of outdated computers. I just meant the primary trains (the regular R179, the 8-car version and the one with Alstom propulsion) could've been packaged as one download and the extras as another. That's all. I appreciate all the work you and the other developers here are doing for the BVE community and am especially grateful that you make these trains as we wouldn't have a good R142 for this site for starters.

It's cool, don't worry about it. Hopefully the R179 will get a script of some kind to change the exterior/interior LED and FIND screens in the near future. Thanks for the support btw!

This is an exaggeration, as most trains don't exceed 20-30MB. But I see the Idea you're getting at.

Cool!  8)

@Bstyles ;; I wasn't asking about the 142 exterior.  But in theory, yes.  The R142 using the R152 (I believe) exterior has tail-lights instead of showing headlights.  Concerning the R143/R160 train-set exteriors we got, it looks as if we are using the front car's face as the rear car's face as well.  Hence showing headlights both front and back.

Exactly, there is no matching rear car face for the openbve R143/R160/R179 at the moment. Trying to place the tailights onto the R142 took me a few days to figure out but it wasn't an easy task at all lol. I'll take a shot at that soon for the R143 & R179.

Offline peacemak3r

• Dispatcher
  • NYCTF
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 15, 2011, 10:41:34 pm »
That's great, I mean after so many versions I thought you guys would have picked up on this!  None the less you guys did a great job!

If anyone was wondering what I was requesting them to fix was basically the tail-end from instead of having headlights, taillights; As shown here, I know it's not perfect but I never meant it to be perfect, more of an example.  So apologies if I violated anything.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 02:47:58 am by r3kamecaep »

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 16, 2011, 04:55:54 am »
That looks very nice! check your PM

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 16, 2011, 11:07:48 pm »