BVEStation

Author Topic: (RELEASED) Official Thread for SIR North Shore's New Tech Trains  (Read 301607 times)

Offline Haven

• Dispatcher
  • Stand Clear Of The Closing Doors Please *DingDong*
    • View Profile
    • SEPTATransitFan's Youtube Channel Please Subscribe!!
Re: [OpenBVE] Official Thread for SIR North Shore's R142
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2011, 10:02:37 pm »
No, no, no. @SIR i meant can you do a BVE version of your R142A? I have your old sounds but they sound challenged.
http://www.youtube.com/user/havenas1020yt
Please Subscribe To My Youtube Channel

Offline (SIR) North Shore Line

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2011, 10:07:55 pm »
No, no, no. @SIR i meant can you do a BVE version of your R142A? I have your old sounds but they sound challenged.

I think I already said this a couple of times but I'm not developing anymore for BVE 2/4, only OpenBVE. What exactly is stopping you from installing OpenBVE?

Offline Bombardier01800

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
    • View Profile
    • MBTA and NJT Transit Forums
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2011, 10:19:29 pm »
so its ready for release??
Click the link in the first post...
Jose
BVEStation Administrator

Offline TJay1724

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2011, 10:31:40 pm »
What I believe Haven172 is getting at is the fact that a lot of these trains in development for OpenBVE were also stated to have a BVE 2/4 version coming soon and yet none have actually materialized. Now SIR has stated that he will only develop for OpenBVE and that is fine, but for those who make these annoucements of BVE 2/4 versions, you shouldn't say there will be a BVE 2/4 version if you have no intention of doing so. (R142A is a prime example. It's listed as having a BVE 2 version coming, but no info about it in the last couple of months) Now let's just take this into account: There are many of you who are unable to run BVE 2/4 and then there are those who can. Is it fair for them to be left out?? No. Many of the developers here create routes for both BVE 2/4 and OpenBVE so that everyone may enjoy the great work found here on BVEStation, yet trainsets are not the same way. It is the developer's choice which platform to develop for and I respect that. For me, I do not develop for OpenBVE because for some reason, I have problems with shading and colors popping up where they shouldn't be and a lot of objects intersecting with each other where as the same objects do not in BVE 2/4. For example, the tunnel rails I use do not have the color yellow or white in them. Yet at random times, certain parts of the object will display that way and I don't know why. My point is is that people are frustrated.

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2011, 11:04:46 pm »
I understand what you're saying but I don't have either BVE 2 or 4 installed my computer anymore. BVE isn't optimized the way I like it to be whereas OpenBVE loads quickly and runs faster as well. Also, do keep in mind that BVE 2 was released in 2001 and BVE 4 was released in 2004, and it's harder to develop for those two than it is for OpenBVE.

As for the BVE 2 version of the R142A, that was being developed by someone else I believe.

Offline TJay1724

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2011, 11:41:01 pm »
Oh believe me, I understand exactly what you are saying. I reach a steady 60 fps on my A route which is heavily textured using OpenBVE whereas I'm getting between 12-30 fps on BVE 4. So I know what you mean. I was just saying that there are still BVE 2/4 users out there and I just feel like we are leaving them out of the loop.

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2011, 12:04:15 am »
BVE 2/4 and OpenBVE can both be installed on a computer at the same time without any problems so it's really up to those "out of the loop" to get in. I'm sure you remember how the R142A sounded when it was BVE, it wasn't nearly anything like the real-life one but with OpenBVE it's easier to obtain that realism with the allowance of extra motor sounds.

Offline JayJay85

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2011, 12:23:04 am »
BVE 2/4 and OpenBVE can both be installed on a computer at the same time without any problems so it's really up to those "out of the loop" to get in. I'm sure you remember how the R142A sounded when it was BVE, it wasn't nearly anything like the real-life one but with OpenBVE it's easier to obtain that realism with the allowance of extra motor sounds.

if it wasn't for windows 7 or vista not using DLLs then all of us would've been still using bve 2 or 4

Offline Simon

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member / Community Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2011, 04:14:39 pm »
if it wasn't for windows 7 or vista not using DLLs then all of us would've been still using bve 2 or 4

That is true, and that is one of the primary reasons why openBVE was initiated so people with Windows Xp computers as well as Linux and Mac users would not feel out of the loop. Keep in mind that before openBVE, Mac and Linux users would have to run windows through a program paralleled with Mac, so they can enjoy the content that BVE users enjoy.

Personally, even if I could use BVE 2/4 I wouldn't because of the frame optimization and the high frame rates, but I definitely understand your point.
Kawasaki_Plant

Offline Haven

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2011, 04:28:53 pm »

I think I already said this a couple of times but I'm not developing anymore for BVE 2/4, only OpenBVE. What exactly is stopping you from installing OpenBVE?

It is really really really laggy. Some of the routes for BVE 2 i use, Q, F (JayJays), and the 7 extensions i cant use. Its my computer that is stopping me. Hell id use Open anytime, but im limited to my powers.

What I believe Haven172 is getting at is the fact that a lot of these trains in development for OpenBVE were also stated to have a BVE 2/4 version coming soon and yet none have actually materialized. Now SIR has stated that he will only develop for OpenBVE and that is fine, but for those who make these annoucements of BVE 2/4 versions, you shouldn't say there will be a BVE 2/4 version if you have no intention of doing so. (R142A is a prime example. It's listed as having a BVE 2 version coming, but no info about it in the last couple of months) Now let's just take this into account: There are many of you who are unable to run BVE 2/4 and then there are those who can. Is it fair for them to be left out?? No. Many of the developers here create routes for both BVE 2/4 and OpenBVE so that everyone may enjoy the great work found here on BVEStation, yet trainsets are not the same way. It is the developer's choice which platform to develop for and I respect that. For me, I do not develop for OpenBVE because for some reason, I have problems with shading and colors popping up where they shouldn't be and a lot of objects intersecting with each other where as the same objects do not in BVE 2/4. For example, the tunnel rails I use do not have the color yellow or white in them. Yet at random times, certain parts of the object will display that way and I don't know why. My point is is that people are frustrated.

Yes exactly

it sounded fine. the only thing is, it sounded challenged when it started up.

Offline Rayvon

• Operator
  • BVEStation Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2011, 05:06:50 pm »
I was the one that announced I'd be converting it. I have a lot of projects on the back burner right now so it's not coming along as fast as the other trains I've converted before. OpenBVE's sound standards are atrocious compared to BVE 2 and 4 so it's a lot easier to plop recordings in and release trains. When I convert them I have to sift through the .dat file and fix the run sounds. A version was ready for release, but the run sounds were deemed not usable by other testers. I have enough recordings to finish it now but I would like to get out the R110A and then hopefully convert them both to BVE 4 since I boot with Multiple OS's.

And the framerate issue on macs is BS, I ran the A on BVE 2 using Parallells 4 years ago and I got a decent 60 fps. People can also use Boot Camp to dual boot systems. Linux users also have WINE and DarWINE, which is a crapload more easier to install than using Mono to open OpenBVE. If they have a mac and want to use a free trainsim, then why not shell out the 30 bucks for parallells or VM Fusion.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 05:08:26 pm by Rayvon »

Offline Haven

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2011, 05:30:16 pm »
I was the one that announced I'd be converting it. I have a lot of projects on the back burner right now so it's not coming along as fast as the other trains I've converted before. OpenBVE's sound standards are atrocious compared to BVE 2 and 4 so it's a lot easier to plop recordings in and release trains. When I convert them I have to sift through the .dat file and fix the run sounds. A version was ready for release, but the run sounds were deemed not usable by other testers. I have enough recordings to finish it now but I would like to get out the R110A and then hopefully convert them both to BVE 4 since I boot with Multiple OS's.

And the framerate issue on macs is BS, I ran the A on BVE 2 using Parallells 4 years ago and I got a decent 60 fps. People can also use Boot Camp to dual boot systems. Linux users also have WINE and DarWINE, which is a crapload more easier to install than using Mono to open OpenBVE. If they have a mac and want to use a free trainsim, then why not shell out the 30 bucks for parallells or VM Fusion.

i get about 50 or more running any route besides the F, Q, and 7 Ext.

Offline Kriston Lewis

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2011, 05:36:44 pm »
...which is a crapload more easier to install than using Mono to open OpenBVE.
How the hell is Mono difficult? Open a Terminal window, type mono, drag the openBVE .exe into the window, and bam, you're off!

Offline Rayvon

• Operator
  • BVEStation Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2011, 05:39:51 pm »
...which is a crapload more easier to install than using Mono to open OpenBVE.
How the hell is Mono difficult? Open a Terminal window, type mono, drag the openBVE .exe into the window, and bam, you're off!
Not only do you have to compile the files to load in it, but you have to do that on a normal basis to open the program. My point is that it's easier to use the other more conventional alternatives if you're knowledgeable enough to do that

Offline TJay1724

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2011, 05:54:16 pm »
I get what your all saying. My problem with openBVE right now is the shading and clipping issues as well as colors popping up where they don't belong. Also, openBVE does not display the colors as vibrant as BVE 2/4 does. I will post screens later so you can all see what I mean. I would develop for openBVE if I or someone can figure out this issues I've been having.  :(