BVEStation

Author Topic: (RELEASED) Official Development thread for the R46 for OpenBVE  (Read 247109 times)

Offline MegaChulo95

• New Recruit
    • View Profile
Re: (RELEASED) Official Development thread for the R46 for OpenBVE
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2011, 07:12:56 pm »
you sould put it on Official NYCTA Development Center
MegaChulo95

Offline SubwayTrainOperator5

• Dispatcher
  • R44, R46, and R68 fan / OpenBVE Videomaker
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2011, 07:20:44 pm »
OMG It look sexy hey put a picture up for the cab ;D

He did not make a cab. He is just making the exterior; it will go on Error46146's R46 V2. If you do not know how the cab of that R46 looks like, it is identical to the cab of the R46 on the downloads.
Signature Removed (dead link)

Offline BStyles

• Head Admin
  • Operator
  • The CEO
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2011, 07:50:29 pm »
Topic moved to the Official NYCTA Development Center.

Stellar work on the exterior. I'm thinking that it could use some minor improvements (not better textures per se, but better lighting) but nothing too excessive that will detract from the work you did. Keep it up!

BStyles

Offline Rikabs

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2011, 10:18:45 pm »
Okay guys I'm going to start addressing the suggestions people have made with potential solutions. Feel free to respond back.

As for the trucks, yes they look very empty in the middle (as Simon said) but it is because:

1. Detailing the actual motor components would be large in number of polys decreasing the performance drastically. Here is a picture of the middle of the truck.
Another reason is because I am not expert in modelling that type of complexity. ;-)

2. In real life you can't see those components anyways. Why? Because it's hidden in the shadows. Look at any real pictures of the R46 facing directly towards the front end and you can see the middle the truck is pitchblack.
Most modern train simulators with high-end graphics have real-time dynamic lighting which creates a realistic shadow effect.

Here's an example:

As you can see the middle of the trucks are darkened and you can barely make out what's there. Even the tracks are blended with the shadow from the train. Unfortunately I don't think Openbve does this which makes the trucks look unrealistic.

This is a sacrifice I made for making 3D trucks in Openbve.

I attached a screenshot to clear up any misinterpretations from the video.

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
  • 7 Years of Developing for openBVE!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2011, 10:24:27 pm »
In that case i'd say just some sort of textured box placed inside the trucks would do just fine, just to get rid of that huge space in the truck area

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2011, 10:31:58 pm »
Okay guys I'm going to start addressing the suggestions people have made with potential solutions. Feel free to respond back.

As for the trucks, yes they look very empty in the middle (as Simon said) but it is because:

1. Detailing the actual motor components would be large in number of polys decreasing the performance drastically. Here is a picture of the middle of the truck.
Another reason is because I am not expert in modelling that type of complexity. ;-)

2. In real life you can't see those components anyways. Why? Because it's hidden in the shadows. Look at any real pictures of the R46 facing directly towards the front end and you can see the middle the truck is pitchblack.
Most modern train simulators with high-end graphics have real-time dynamic lighting which creates a realistic shadow effect.

Here's an example:

As you can see the middle of the trucks are darkened and you can barely make out what's there. Even the tracks are blended with the shadow from the train. Unfortunately I don't think Openbve does this which makes the trucks look unrealistic.

This is a sacrifice I made for making 3D trucks in Openbve.

I attached a screenshot to clear up any misinterpretations from the video.

You could at least put a picture of the front of the truck to cover up the gap, to at least hide the axle from being seen when looking straight at the front of the train...OR, like DJ Hammers said, just a box with 2D textures of motor components placed inside the truck to not have to build 3D polygons of the components, but still make it look fairly realistic.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 10:35:32 pm by SubwayTrainOperator5 »

Offline Andrew

• New Recruit
  • Mets fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2011, 10:54:18 pm »
This looks fantastic! I'm speechless!  :)

Offline Rikabs

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2011, 11:23:45 pm »
The textures I used in the video were slightly lower in  resolution to help reduce the lag I get when recording the video with Fraps. Here is what it looks like originally.

[/URL]

As for the trucks I might try lowering the body so that it's closer with the trucks first. If it still doesn't look right then we'll try the methods people suggest.

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
  • 7 Years of Developing for openBVE!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2011, 11:32:23 pm »
WOW that interior is so much better looking with the full res textures on it. AMAZING!

I would lower the R46 until the floor is exactly level with the platforms (in reality the floor of the subway car is never below the level of the platform). After getting it level with the platform i doubt there is much more that can be done in the height department....

You should make a vid showing the train and its trucks going around some sharp curves like around 9th avenue on the D Line, so we could really see those pivoting trucks that you obviously worked so very hard on work.

BTW are you going the make the center strip of lights and PA speakers jut out slightly from the ceiling like in real life?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 10:18:04 pm by Dj Hammers »

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2011, 12:14:13 am »
Also, as I said in the comment I posted on your video, try making the ambient light more yellow. In my opinion, the ambient light is a bit too white, instead of yellow like in real life. But overall, this exterior is a masterpiece. :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 12:17:53 am by SubwayTrainOperator5 »

Offline Gong Gahou

• Operator
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2011, 01:17:53 am »
I'm amazed! Beautiful piece of work! Although you make yourself sound like a beginner, what you whipped up is already no beginner's feat! :))

Only suggestion I can make out of the little time I have is to create a rough, black outline of the guts in the bogie so it won't be empty (my best suggestion and take in this situation). Also, make sure you create its pivoting axle too! Some black cylinder would do. After all, we wouldn't want to see floating trucks!  ;D
Previously known as pjiang6211

Offline Simon

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member / Community Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2011, 04:25:53 pm »
The train looks absolutely amazing. The textures are great and they should be kept that way! The only thing that I would change is the texture in the picture where the emergency exit doors are located. It looks significantly blurry. If you're having trouble with textures, I'm sure JayJay could lend you his.

Kawasaki_Plant

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2011, 05:05:06 pm »
I think this is the most realistic NYCTA train exterior that was ever created, very nice job. I'm officially blown away   ;D

Offline Shawn1995

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2011, 05:36:39 pm »
When I saw those weels I almost cried :')

Offline LowerEastSide1117

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2011, 07:49:59 pm »
its a beautiful model. Cant wait to fun it. you did an excellent job.