BVEStation

Author Topic: Github Familiarity  (Read 2876 times)

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
Github Familiarity
« on: October 18, 2013, 12:29:34 am »
Hey guys, I am wondering what is everyone's familiarity with Github or Git in general, the software versioning system (which is widely used in many software projects).  I would like to run a new fully collaborative way to develop routes.  Any developer who wishes can pull the code, make their modifications, then push it back to the server for everyone to have their copy updated.  Eventually when we deem the route is good enough for a release, we will package it and allow users to download it, all while still leaving development open for anyone who still wants to make add-ons, eventually creating newer versions as we go.

If anyone is looking for motivation, I want to complete the LIRR Atlantic Ave - Jamaica route that I was once working on back in 2011, and would love it if other route devs can collectively work on it.  I think putting it on Github will make it accessible and easy to foster this collaboration, in addition to quieting people who are wondering what progress is on a specific route.

Route progress - Everybody can see the progress themselves (just download the latest copy from github)
Open Source - Anybody and everybody can contribute (There will be one main copy which will combine the works of everyone)
Faster development - More people can work on routes faster, and easier

Let me know what you guys think, and whether or not you would be interested in developing this route and attempting this new paradigm.
BVEStation.