BVEStation

Author Topic: OpenBVE v1.3.2.0 Featuring Managed Content  (Read 6759 times)

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
OpenBVE v1.3.2.0 Featuring Managed Content
« on: December 01, 2011, 12:03:08 am »
Talk about slow news days.  Today OpenBVE just released v1.3.2.0 which features managed content, this allows users to easily download add-ons for OpenBVE, greatly lowering the difficulty of actually downloading and installing the files.  For developers, this isn't as easy as it must be packaged in a certain way in order for it to be formatted correctly for use on OpenBVE's managed content system.

As far as any developers actually using the new system is not yet known since it is still relatively new as it was released today.  Since the BVE community has slowed to molasses I wouldn't expect any repositories up anytime soon, we'll obviously update you on that as soon as we get it or find some users/communities using it.

As for BVEStation, at the moment BVEStation's server settings are set for this system not to work, and may require some downtime in order to change these settings.  In addition to repackaging of almost every file available on BVEStation, we don't expect our own repository anytime soon, but we will no doubt make an effort to implement this new system sometime in the future, unfortunately we really can't say when we can get a repository up for OpenBVE's managed content system.  Remember that this is still very new, and nobody has actually had time to read it yet.

I think the new system will be great for the newer users, but it may take a very long time before developers can start using it, because this isn't just a job for the developers, its a job for the users hosting it as well.  Still a repository of routes/trains with OpenBVE's managed content does look to protect the works of authors and creates a easier method for users to download files.  Piracy will no doubt be slightly harder, thanks to the way users can now receive their content.

You can download the latest version of OpenBVE at http://trainsimframework.org/index.html
BVEStation.

Offline [CT1660]

• Dispatcher
  • openBVE Developer, OMSI Repainter & Engine Modder
    • View Profile
    • Enter The Lair
Re: OpenBVE v1.3.2.0 Featuring Managed Content
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 08:15:26 am »
There's just one little problem for the currently copyrighted routes and trains and regarding exclusivity to BVEStation..

Rights.
In order to ensure that add-ons continue to be available forever, you must (unless you release your add-on into the public domain anyway) grant everyone irrevocable permission to make verbatim copies of your add-ons under no terms or conditions. You are free to grant other rights under the terms of your choice.

Anyway, i'm going to have a look at this managed content thing myself.

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 12:15:21 pm »
Well, that "requirement" will certainly make it longer for the system to be implemented on BVEStation.  I have yet to actually look at it though, but based on screenshots you can't add your repository to it, which should be how it is done.  I'll have to see it whenever I get a chance.  The idea of piracy and putting the file into public domain is somewhat contradictory as all BVEStation Files restrict the re-hosting of files elsewhere, unless a new route was derived from it.
BVEStation.

Offline Port Washington Local

• Conductor
  • Network Systems Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 08:13:56 pm »
Let me know if there is anything that I can do to help in terms of maintaining that repository.

Offline [CT1660]

• Dispatcher
  • openBVE Developer, OMSI Repainter & Engine Modder
    • View Profile
    • Enter The Lair
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 08:49:40 pm »
In a nutshell, they're just trying to encourage open source trains and routes.

As far as it looks, they won't allow copyrighted content in the repository (or at least, discouraging it). So far, these are the only two licenses they will allow:

This add-on is placed under the following license:

YOU ARE ALLOWED TO MAKE VERBATIM COPIES OF THIS ADD-ON.

There are no terms and no conditions. This applies worldwide and is unlimited in duration. If additional permissions are granted, they are covered in a separate license.

THIS ADD-ON IS PLACED IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN.

If this is not legally possible, you are given permission to use the add-on in any way you want (including redistribution and modification). There are no terms and no conditions. This applies worldwide and is unlimited in duration.

Looks like they pretty much want to encourage open-source add-ons, just like OpenBVE is well... open-source.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 08:55:41 pm by NYZ3R0DAY »

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 11:06:34 pm »
Since OpenBVE is "public domain" we have the right to do whatever we want to do, and that includes making it use repositories that include other licenses.  She cannot not allow certain repositories to be used because of this.
BVEStation.