BVEStation

Author Topic: openBVE: Windows 8 Compatibility  (Read 9784 times)

Offline [CT1660]

• Dispatcher
  • openBVE Developer, OMSI Repainter & Engine Modder
    • View Profile
    • Enter The Lair
openBVE: Windows 8 Compatibility
« on: November 11, 2012, 09:30:55 pm »
After getting my hands on Windows 8 Pro, i have gotten openBVE to run. There are a few extra tasks needed to be done in order for openBVE to run.

On Windows 8, there is no need to install .NET as .NET 4.5 comes pre-installed on Windows 8. The only dependency needed is your computer's video card drivers (duh!) and openAL installed. After installing the dependencies, then install openBVE. You will see 5 shortcuts on your desktop (if you are using the installer). Right click on each shortcut and click on properties. For those doing a manual install from the zip file non-installer, right click on each exe and click on properties.

Click on the compatibility tab, and make sure "Run this program as an administrator" is checked, then click ok. After this, openBVE, Objectviewer and Route viewer should work "out of the box". For train editor and object bender, you will get a popup asking to install an additional dependency. Install that dependency and those two programs should run after that.

If everything is done right, openBVE should work properly.

Offline BStyles

• Head Admin
  • Operator
  • The CEO
    • View Profile
Re: openBVE: Windows 8 Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 06:27:42 am »
Uh...yeah...you should probably wait a few more...idk, months, before everyone else here actually upgrades, and brings up the issue of OpenBVE not working on Windows 8 before you make the tutorial...it only came out 20 minutes ago, and it already seems to have been getting a lot of negative reviews on my end.

Anywho, everyone should already know about the compatibility mode (lol they can google it, duh), since it was a feature introduced way back in Windows Vista. The bigger problem was getting the original BVE's to work on the x64 based systems which eventually led to more people using OpenBVE, and since Windows 8 has a lot of features which are derived from Windows 7, only an update to the original OpenBVE source code should suffice to bump it up another compatibility level.

BStyles
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 06:31:50 am by BStyles »

Offline [CT1660]

• Dispatcher
  • openBVE Developer, OMSI Repainter & Engine Modder
    • View Profile
    • Enter The Lair
Re: openBVE: Windows 8 Compatibility
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 11:34:22 am »
I know what you mean, but figured i might as well post a how-to before people start getting Windows 8 or new computers that ships with Windows 8. I know most should know about that compatibility mode but sadly there are a few "slow" people around.