BVEStation

Author Topic: WEATHER ADVISORY - Hurricane Irene  (Read 30555 times)

Ztraintobroad

Re: WEATHER ADVISORY - Hurricane Irene
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2011, 02:33:10 am »
Hurricane Warning
August 27, 2011

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo this morning directed MTA officials to begin immediately implementing a hurricane plan designed to protect the safety of New Yorkers before, during and after the expected impacts of Hurricane Irene, with latest forecasts showing dangerous conditions reaching the area as early as Saturday evening. Customers are advised to leave plenty of time for travel. Don't take unnecessary chances and don't wait until the last minute to make sure that your family is safe and secure.

The MTA will begin an incremental suspension of its subway, bus, and Long Island Rail Road, Metro-North Railroad, and Staten Island Railway service beginning approximately eight hours prior to sustained 39 mph winds reaching the area. Subway and bus lines will begin shutting down after 12 noon tomorrow.
MTA bridges will close if winds reach sustained speeds of 60 mph, but this does not preclude them from closing sooner if high winds are coupled with other weather-related conditions including flooding. Each of MTA's seven bridges and two tunnels will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
In order to facilitate the mandatory evacuations, the MTA will suspend collection of certain fares and tolls. Tolls are already suspended at the Cross Bay Veterans Memorial Bridge and the Marine Parkway-Gil Hodges Memorial Bridge. Starting at 8:00 PM today, the following changes will go into effect:
Tolls will be suspended on the Verrazano-Narrows, Throgs Neck, and Bronx-Whitestone Bridges.
Fares will be suspended on buses throughout the city.
Fares will be suspended for subway and rail passengers at stations in the mandatory evacuation area.
There will be no scheduled pickups after 12 noon on Saturday but Access-A-Ride and Able-Ride will be working with OEM providing vehicles for the evacuation for disabled residents. There will be no Access-A-Ride and Able-Ride service on Sunday, August 28 or Monday morning, August 29.
If you don't have to travel tomorrow we strongly suggest staying home.
Monitor MTA.info for updates.

MAMMIA!Looks Like Hurracine Is coming to Nyc Pretty Fast. Guys heres some advise-

Get Some Food Today Or Tommorow
If you have a laptop Charge It all The way
Get A Power Genrator (If You have One)

Good Luck!

Ztraintobroad

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2011, 12:10:11 pm »
The shutdown has begun! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! ITS HURRICANE IRNE!

Offline Pacific385

• Dispatcher
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2011, 12:41:45 pm »
The shutdown has begun! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! ITS HURRICANE IRNE!
That's not recommended.

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
  • 7 Years of Developing for openBVE!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2011, 12:53:38 pm »
Just spent 4 hours knocking down branches that may be thrown around by my house.

It's actually really eerie right now; the birds have all flown away from the trees around my house and it's really quiet...

Offline Haven

• Dispatcher
  • Stand Clear Of The Closing Doors Please *DingDong*
    • View Profile
    • SEPTATransitFan's Youtube Channel Please Subscribe!!
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2011, 01:44:54 pm »
its a Ghost Town?
http://www.youtube.com/user/havenas1020yt
Please Subscribe To My Youtube Channel

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2011, 02:11:01 pm »
No it's not a ghost town, everyone is inside their houses. Whenever are large storm comes all the birds fly away, so you stop hearing the constant chirping.

It's actually a huge difference in the noise level.

Ztraintobroad

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2011, 05:08:02 pm »
True!

Offline Orion V CNG #748

• Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2011, 01:10:37 am »
Damn! I just can't sleep in this type of weather! To be honest part of a tree just now fell in my back yard.Most of it landed in my neighbors backyard like 3 mins ago. The tree is only 15 - 25 feet away from my house. Very scary and horrifying
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 01:12:31 am by Orion V CNG #748 »

Offline bve

• Dispatcher
  • OMSI anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2011, 01:29:53 am »
Weather is causing me to have rolling blackouts. My toilet also overflowed about a half hr ago :P :P.
Favorite LFS Powertrain: Cummins ISL 9 EPA10
                                        Allison WB-400R Gen IV
Favorite CNG/Diesel Engine: Detroit Diesel Series 50

Favorite Transmission Make: Allison Transmission

Offline peacemak3r

• Dispatcher
  • NYCTF
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2011, 06:07:15 am »
Hurricane Irene was pretty much a bust for me.  Nothing really major at the moment.  No blackouts, flooding or anything like that.  I think it has been downgraded to a Tropical Storm at this point.

Sigh I hope classes are cancelled Monday as well, but I doubt it, and I totally doubt work is going to be cancelled for me.

Offline Orion V CNG #748

• Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2011, 07:32:55 am »

the fallen tree I was talking about
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 07:43:23 am by Orion V CNG #748 »

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2011, 01:34:35 pm »
5 people came over to my house because they were not safe in their houses (Authorities guaranteed them that their houses would be completely flooded).

Amazingly, my house did not flood, and I lost no utilities at all....

Had a tree fall over my driveway however; you can see a little bit of flooding in the top right corner of the 3rd pic.
Pics:

Offline Haven

• Dispatcher
  • Stand Clear Of The Closing Doors Please *DingDong*
    • View Profile
    • SEPTATransitFan's Youtube Channel Please Subscribe!!
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2011, 02:05:52 pm »
so it sounds like some of u guys are okay. thats great to hear!
http://www.youtube.com/user/havenas1020yt
Please Subscribe To My Youtube Channel

Offline Mr Railfan

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Train Developer and Route Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2011, 02:14:41 pm »
IM pissed off because i evacuated for nothing . Nothing happened to much of coney island and Brighton beach and the storm surge didnt even reach the boardwalk. the way the news hyped it i though all of coney island was going to be like under 10 feet of water .
Im glad nothing major happened but next time they order evacuation for some hurricane , im not budging from my home. the only damage i noticed where some fallen trees and branches . I hear that SI and NJ got it much worse though.

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2011, 03:06:16 pm »
IM pissed off because i evacuated for nothing . Nothing happened to much of coney island and Brighton beach and the storm surge didnt even reach the boardwalk. the way the news hyped it i though all of coney island was going to be like under 10 feet of water .
Im glad nothing major happened but next time they order evacuation for some hurricane , im not budging from my home. the only damage i noticed where some fallen trees and branches . I hear that SI and NJ got it much worse though.

Thats certainly the type of mentality that some people had.  In my opinion the city did overreact to the storm, they always do, but they would rather take precautionary measures, than put people's lives at risk, which I think was the right thing to do.  If you don't want to move out of your house though, then thats not my problem  :P  They should be given a paper to sign saying that they'll be denying emergency services for an x amount of time and if you do get screwed, well you didn't listen.  Stay safe though, its still fairly windy out there.

As for me, nothing happened here, as I live in a hill with no trees.  No power outages or anything like that, its funny since during blizzards I always lose power.
BVEStation.