BVEStation

Author Topic: Black screen for scenery  (Read 8131 times)

Offline windshield

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
Black screen for scenery
« on: November 23, 2012, 02:06:05 pm »
I downloaded and installed Open BVE using its installer which created the folder "OpenBVE_stable" in Programs(x86) on C drive. In that directory it created a folder "UserData" in which is a folder "LegacyContent" in which are the two folders Railway (with a downloaded route) and Train with a downloaded train. Still can't get any scenery out the front window. Only black. Sometimes it will barely show a semifore light in the distance. Am not in a tunnel. The PC does have OpenAL and .Net 4 on the machine. It has ATI Radeon HD 5700 card capable of Open GL graphics. I downloaded the BVE-5 trainsim by Mackoy and it shows up with scenery and works fine. But I can't get any scenery with Open BVE which I prefer. Any help?

Offline Bombardier01800

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
    • View Profile
    • MBTA and NJT Transit Forums
Re: Black screen for scenery
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 02:18:19 pm »
Can you please be more detailed on your folder structure? That's most likely the cause of your problems.
Jose
BVEStation Administrator

Offline windshield

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 03:12:14 pm »
I keep reading about "folder structure" being a likely cause of the sim not working right. However, it is unclear to me what folder structure means. I downloaded the OpenBVE v. 1.4.2 installer and launched from the desktop of a PC with all the bells and whistles to run such a sim. And BVE-5 by Mackoy runs and looks good. The OpenBVE installer creates in C:\Program(x86) a folder named "OpenBVE_stable." That seems to be the main install. It puts 4 icons on the desktop:OpenBVE, RouteViewer, TrainEditor, and ObjectViewer. The folder on the C drive has many files which include SDL and Tao. Inside that main folder are two more folders: Data and UserData. The UserDate folder has 3 more folders: LegacyContent, ManagedContent, and Settings. Inside the LegacyContent folder is two more folders: Railway and Train. All of this is automatically installed and placed by the Installer. How, therefore, can I have a folder structure problem? Please tell me what simple route to get, where I can get it, and where to put it in OpenBVE_stable, and a simple train and where to put it, to see if I can get it to working in OpenBVE. In my efforts so far, I have gotten a nice cab view, with animations, and sounds like a horn, etc. However no scenery at all. Only black.

Offline Bombardier01800

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 03:21:11 pm »
Alright I'm gonna give you a brief tutorial here. The OpenBVE_stable, leave that alone.
If you haven't done so already, create a "BVE" folder in C:\Program Files(x86).
Inside that BVE folder, create two more folders, one "Railway" and the other one "Train". Place all of your trains in the "Train" folder.
In the "Railway" folder create three more folders: "Route" "Sound" and "Object". Every time you download a route, make sure every file goes to its proper folder.
Give that a try and see if it works.
Jose
BVEStation Administrator

Offline windshield

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 03:46:05 pm »
From a tutorial by Mr. Even I did what he said and walla, I now have scenery. Thank you. I was within a hair of deleting this sim off my machine and never looking back, due to frustration and it being unclear TO ME, how to get this thing going. Mr. Even is the only one who said leave the main install along and create another folder on the C drive and use those. Such instruction is unclear, as far as I can, from tutorial attempts on other sites.
You have to create a BVE folder apart and separate from the main install and in those put downloads. Duh. I never would have figured that out on my own. But the screenshots on related sites spurred me on for wanting to get this great sim working. Thanks to all those who do the programming, etc. Many thanks. May I please say that the verification letters for this forum are practically impossible to read and usually takes me several attempts to luck out and get the right combo. I guess they've had spam problems to make it so darn difficult. Thx Mr Even, I look forward to this sim, seeing that after almost 48 hours of struggling to get it to show scenery, there is has shown up. Now to back to trying to read the verification letters to send this reply. Give me reading glasses, five minutes for five or more tries to do that. In all seriousness, thanks.

Offline HijauKuda

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 05:19:43 pm »
I agree, the verification image letters are terribly hard to read.
After trying 2 or 3 times, I generally give up.
Forum admins, I understand the need to prevent spam,
but can the verification letters be made to be more legible
for those poor souls amongst us not trained in blurred heiroglyphics?

Windshield, there are many routes and trains available:
http://www.bvestation.com/downloads.php
http://openbverollingstock.wikia.com/wiki/Rolling_stock_per_country
http://www.bve.cz/en/route_table.html
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 05:28:01 pm by HijauKuda »

Offline Bombardier01800

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 01:44:27 am »
Windshield, you're welcome. I really think the reason why most of us don't have this problem is because when BVE2 was the program everyone used, the installer automatically created the folder structure. With OpenBVE, however, you have to do that yourself, and it can get confusing, especially for new users. I will point out the situation with the verification letters. If anyone has anymore questions, please don't hesitate to post.

-Jose.
Jose
BVEStation Administrator