BVEStation

Author Topic: I need some help  (Read 7471 times)

Offline Andrew

• New Recruit
  • Mets fan
    • View Profile
I need some help
« on: September 04, 2011, 11:35:24 pm »
I have openbve on my windows vista computer and it works great. However I have windows 7 64 bit on my inspiron 15 laptop. It usually works great but sometimes I get a message during the middle of a run: "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that the memory is corrupt." It's not a single route or train, one day it can be the (A), the next it can be the (2) or the (D) or whatever. I am running as an admin because my account is admin. Any Ideas, and please don't say go post it on the openbve forums...thanks in advanced!

P.S. You know it's not a huge problem, but it's a pain to have to restart a route sometimes, especially if its one of those routes that takes a while to load. Also it doesn't happen in a specific time (like after 5min), it just happens 3 out of 5 times at random times, ex: once it can be at 5:35 minutes into the game another time it can be at 17:58 minutes into the game. Please help and Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 11:39:54 pm by Andrew »

Offline error46146

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
    • Photography by me.
Re: I need some help
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 11:44:44 pm »
Did you minimize openbve or open up another program?

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 11:47:07 pm »
This is normally a programming issue.  I've seen it on programs written with C++ and C#.  Have you tried to redownload the game and all the dependencies?

Offline Mr Railfan

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Train Developer and Route Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 11:57:05 pm »
I have openbve on my windows vista computer and it works great. However I have windows 7 64 bit on my inspiron 15 laptop. It usually works great but sometimes I get a message during the middle of a run: "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that the memory is corrupt." It's not a single route or train, one day it can be the (A), the next it can be the (2) or the (D) or whatever. I am running as an admin because my account is admin. Any Ideas, and please don't say go post it on the openbve forums...thanks in advanced!

P.S. You know it's not a huge problem, but it's a pain to have to restart a route sometimes, especially if its one of those routes that takes a while to load. Also it doesn't happen in a specific time (like after 5min), it just happens 3 out of 5 times at random times, ex: once it can be at 5:35 minutes into the game another time it can be at 17:58 minutes into the game. Please help and Thanks!

happened to me before , especially when i exit fullscreen 
by clicking another button like volume up or the windows button. i re installed it and now it works fine.

Offline Andrew

• New Recruit
  • Mets fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 12:19:13 am »
alright i'll try it tomorrow, thanks guys

EDIT: Well I tried it, so far I haven't been stopped with the message so that's good, but if I press the windows button openbve frezzes and I can't move the mouse. I have to use the keyboard to log off and then the mouse works...any ideas? Much appreciated!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 11:10:54 am by Andrew »

Offline Rayvon

• Operator
  • BVEStation Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 08:43:40 pm »
alright i'll try it tomorrow, thanks guys

EDIT: Well I tried it, so far I haven't been stopped with the message so that's good, but if I press the windows button openbve frezzes and I can't move the mouse. I have to use the keyboard to log off and then the mouse works...any ideas? Much appreciated!
seeing as you're using a dell, I wouldn't rule out something failing. You should google how to perform a RAM test and see if that finds anything

Offline Andrew

• New Recruit
  • Mets fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 12:45:36 am »
seeing as you're using a dell, I wouldn't rule out something failing.

I LOL'D on that one for a while! You know honestly I am not satisfied with Windows 7 at all, and I notice that some other people aren't either. I got my laptop 2yrs ago and ever since the beginning I've had problems with the internet, openbve, sidebar gadgets, etc and I would do everything known to fix it (such as fixing the registry manually because I'm very good at fixing computers and I know how to fix things) but nothing would work. I know it's not a virus because its been 2 yrs. I have 3 gb of RAM so that's not a problem. I have had a Dell pc since '06, and I never had any problems with it since 2007. A virus attempted to enter it twice since then so I said "FAAACK YOU" *Delete* :) and you know trojan horses and all that shet that you have go into the folders and delete it manually (like freaking C\users\username\appdata\roaming\locallow\WHATEVER THE HELL. So I decided that tomorrow I'm going to format my laptop and put vista on it because I haven't had any problems with it. Thanks again to everyone who tried to help :), but openbve still displays the same god forsaken message... and now the mouse too... ::)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 12:47:23 am by Andrew »

Offline peacemak3r

• Dispatcher
  • NYCTF
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 06:40:48 am »
The problem with your post @Andrew is that I also am good with computers as also that is part of my current major (2nd year.)  I've been using Windows 7 for about 2 years now and the only problem I've had was forgetting my password once on log-in screen.  Well that's not really Windows 7's fault.  I never encountered problems you've noted, ever.  Secondly who even uses those widgets anyway?  It just slows your performance down.

Secondly, if you don't like Windows 7, I won't judge you.  But you're going to downgrade to Vista?  Vista is by far the worst of the worst, I rather take Windows ME then Vista, at least downgrade to Windows XP.

I've been running OpenBVE with no problems at all, if you downloaded everything correctly and installed it correctly, you shouldn't have a problem.  I sure as never had a problem.

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 10:33:15 am »
XP is a lot more vulnerable then Windows 7. Infection rates are much lower on Windows 7 then they are on Windows XP SP3

Also, just deleting malware from it's folder doesn't work. They can easily redownload themselves if you don't fully remove all the traces. Not all malware stays in the AppData folder either. Things like rootkits normally are stuck into the system32\drivers folder.

Anyways, have you tried to reinstall dependencies and the entire game like I asked? Doing that normally would fix an error like this.

Offline Andrew

• New Recruit
  • Mets fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 02:40:07 pm »
Secondly, if you don't like Windows 7, I won't judge you.  But you're going to downgrade to Vista?  Vista is by far the worst of the worst, I rather take Windows ME then Vista, at least downgrade to Windows XP.

Vista is not the worst, I NEVER had any problems with Windows Vista, now Windows 2000 is another story...

@yankeespwnmets: Yeah I did that, and now the mouse isn't working either. All of my drivers were up to date too. I'm a developer for openbve so I know were the folders go, what the dependencies are, etc.

BTW: this thread might as well be locked because I already downgraded to vista just now. I don't want any flaming on me saying that I'm a stupid person for downgrading because I know somehow that is going to start, and I don't want it to...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 02:44:21 pm by Andrew »