BVEStation

Author Topic: BETA testing  (Read 14953 times)

Offline r160bve

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
Re: BETA testing
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 04:11:30 pm »
This is not the only thing that's getting ridiculous. It seems that the same users keep posting the same thing over and over again - they have absolutely nothing to contribute to the community other than inquiring about the progress, showing how needy and impatient they are, and, of course, asking for BETAs.

I'm okay with BETA testing, but after a few BETA tests and not having so much time to write constructive responses, I eventually stopped applying for BETA testing. Now I prefer the released version better than any BETA - it's the one that passed through many reviews and testing and is acceptable enough to be placed in the Downloads section. It's too bad that there are some users who exploit BETA testing to their own selfish needs.

As an alternative to BETA testing, a YouTube video or even snapshots would definitely work. That is enough to give feedback. That's what I think.

This is all 100% true.
Check out my YouTube channel:
www.youtube.com/csx8851

Offline IIRules2

• New Recruit
  • Hope controls everything.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 05:19:02 pm »
Then what are suggestion to stop this phenomenon? There will always be a select few that will not listen to this nor pay attention/care about what we're saying (not including newcomers)

Offline Lance

• Operator
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 05:33:03 pm »
If I may make a suggestion, perhaps developers could PM people here who they know are good BETA testers to see if they could give said developers feedback on their routes, trains, etc. instead of publicly announcing that they're offering BETA tests on the open forums. That way, developers actually get feedback on what's wrong and it's not just a ploy to get content early. It also has the added benefit of not clogging up the forums with the same "can I beta test?" questions ad nauseum.

'70s style service sign at Times Sq-42 St.

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
  • 7 Years of Developing for openBVE!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 06:15:49 pm »
There will always be a select few that will not listen to this nor pay attention/care about what we're saying (not including newcomers)

That is precisely what I think the problem is. People who don't read, don't learn, and are ignorant.
So many people only care about getting their damn trains and routes, and once they are out, they leave.

Offline theflyingoreo

• Global Moderator
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 07:56:21 pm »
I find having that with having a strict criteria. I can get good feedback on what I make.

For all my projects, my BETA testers are people who work the route/train in real life and people who have made an extreme contribution to my route.

Example for my E, I have arranged for BETA testing to be carried out by crew members at Jamaica Yard.

Offline IIRules2

• New Recruit
  • Hope controls everything.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 08:06:53 pm »
With more people doing this, we should keep the talk of ANY beta testing away from the topic so people wont automatically ask. Beta work should be concealed.

Offline Failsafe

• Operator
  • Community Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 09:11:03 am »
There will always be a select few that will not listen to this nor pay attention/care about what we're saying (not including newcomers)

That is precisely what I think the problem is. People who don't read, don't learn, and are ignorant.
So many people only care about getting their damn trains and routes, and once they are out, they leave.

Word
Bvestation Police Department-To protect and serve

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 11:34:38 am »
There is no point to beta testing, especially if some of our releases are actually called beta.

The only time I "beta" test is to get people's opinion and check for major issues.

Still I think its the newer developers who are doing beta testing.  I think this is pointless for newer developers.  Learn to test things on your own, and see your product in the eyes of a person who would actually use it yourself.  If it doesn't meet your quality improvements don't bother to beta test it with other people, cause to be nice, most of them will say its nice.
BVEStation.

Offline Smooth23

• Conductor
  • Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 11:58:33 am »
I think only people who've been here a year or more can beta test and if beta testing you must input something if not then you won't be allowed to beta test again.

Offline Failsafe

• Operator
  • Community Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 11:59:36 am »
Does that include being part of the old bve station? (i was with them for like 2 years

Offline Failsafe

• Operator
  • Community Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 12:00:33 pm »
On The Old forum my name was 45Lexington if u wanna check :-\