BVEStation

Author Topic: If The R40 Slants Where To Return New.....  (Read 8619 times)

Offline Andres

• Conductor
  • 3rd Avenue El Is the stuff.
    • View Profile
If The R40 Slants Where To Return New.....
« on: May 20, 2011, 08:30:53 pm »
if the R40 Slants had a chance to return to the city. would you want it them to be NTT's or SMEE trains. if they where brought back under a new build contract called R400 with several option orders.

Offline bve

• Dispatcher
  • OMSI anyone?
    • View Profile
Re: If The R40 Slants Where To Return New.....
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 09:13:54 pm »
If you bring them back in the first place and NTTarize them, might aswell not call them slants :P
Favorite LFS Powertrain: Cummins ISL 9 EPA10
                                        Allison WB-400R Gen IV
Favorite CNG/Diesel Engine: Detroit Diesel Series 50

Favorite Transmission Make: Allison Transmission

Offline dman1455

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 09:20:43 pm »
Well do tell me how they can even be brought back when the fish moved in already?

Offline error46146

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
    • Photography by me.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 09:41:11 pm »
fitting all the computers and electronics inside an R40 would not make it an R40 anymore..it'd just look awkward lol

Offline BStyles

• Head Admin
  • Operator
  • The CEO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 11:48:12 pm »
They did not reef the R40's, they were scrapped. Reefing ended with the Redbirds. And yes, Bill has a point. Retrofitting a SMEE with NTT technology is just plain awkward. You know what they say, you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

I think the R40's have lived their lifetime and I don't think they should be brought back, as any new NTT. And even if they did, it probably wouldn't be in our lifetime.

BStyles

Offline R40R32

• Operator
  • RFC_NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 07:44:34 am »
Lol wut the f*** Ok first off If R40's would return with new technology it will be weird unfitting and uncomfortable .
If they have returend i would say make them with the original feel touch and look.
But this wont probably happen in our life time just like Bstyles said.
https://www.youtube.com/user/RailLine8?feature=mhee (My YouTube Channel)
http://www.youtube.com/user/RailLine7?feature=mhee (Second YouTube channel)
M.T.A. -Money Taking Agency

Offline Andres

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 11:51:06 am »
Well do tell me how they can even be brought back when the fish moved in already?

Not Bring Them Back From The Ocean But Use The Original Design To Bring Them Back From The Factories Make Them New Again. But Like Bstyles Says They Lived Their Life.

Offline Fox-179

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 11:54:35 am »
They did not reef the R40's, they were scrapped. Reefing ended with the Redbirds.
BStyles
Yes they did.They reefed the 32's,38's,REDBIRDS,40M/S and some 42's.After the last barge went out the company packed up their shit and that was it.The 44's will most likely not be reefed due to high amounts of lead in them.And if you don't believe what I said then where did the cars after the REDBIRDS retire go?

Offline error46146

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
    • Photography by me.
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 04:46:13 pm »
They actually did reef some of the slants, along with the redbirds, R32, R38 and R42..

This is a photo of an R40 slant being tossed into the ocean with others on the barge waiting the same horrible fate...

Offline Ben

• New Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 05:51:54 pm »

Not Bring Them Back From The Ocean But Use The Original Design To Bring Them Back From The Factories Make Them New Again. But Like Bstyles Says They Lived Their Life.

I'm sorry, but the St. Louis Car Company closed down in 1973, just after they made the R44s. They're only going to have to fish it from the ocean and make it brand-new.
The little brother of error46146

Offline Andres

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 08:24:12 pm »

I'm sorry, but the St. Louis Car Company closed down in 1973, just after they made the R44s. They're only going to have to fish it from the ocean and make it brand-new.

the design was made by the TA not the St. Louis Car Company. if they where to be brought back they could get built by other manufacturers like Bombardier, Kawasaki, Alstom, Siemens etc.......

so it doesnt matter if the St. Louis Car Company is not around no more.

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
  • 7 Years of Developing for openBVE!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 09:30:28 pm »
It is irrelevant because the parts that were used in the construction on the R40 Slants were already 5 years behind the times when the Slants were originally built. Building new R40 Slant lookalike cars would require extreme amount of custom fabrication.