BVEStation

Author Topic: OpenBVE  (Read 6018 times)

Offline Haven

• Dispatcher
  • Stand Clear Of The Closing Doors Please *DingDong*
    • View Profile
    • SEPTATransitFan's Youtube Channel Please Subscribe!!
OpenBVE
« on: February 28, 2011, 08:49:32 pm »
My Problem:
Open is just a boat full of lag on my computer. The 7 which is the smoothest line i got was really laggy. There are things about Open that are good and bad.

My Opinion: In some kind of way Open should be compatible for a Windows XP because BVE2 (with the exception of some routes) work fine! BVE4, smooth as a baby's bottom.

State your problems and opinions on OpenBVE here!!!  ;D ;D ;D
http://www.youtube.com/user/havenas1020yt
Please Subscribe To My Youtube Channel

Offline Bombardier01800

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
    • View Profile
    • MBTA and NJT Transit Forums
Re: OpenBVE
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 08:58:08 pm »
OpenBVE is compatible with Windows XP
Jose
BVEStation Administrator

Offline error46146

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
    • Photography by me.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 09:02:57 pm »
My Problem:
Open is just a boat full of lag on my computer. The 7 which is the smoothest line i got was really laggy. There are things about Open that are good and bad.

My Opinion: In some kind of way Open should be compatible for a Windows XP because BVE2 (with the exception of some routes) work fine! BVE4, smooth as a baby's bottom.

OpenBVE works on Windows XP..just make sure you install the dependencies.

Some computers just do not play nice with OpenBVE, if you have one of those computers then not much can be done about that unfortunately.

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 09:53:31 pm »
You may need to update your video drivers, OpenBVE uses OpenGL which is a open library for graphics.  Some drivers dont take advantage of all the new features of it, degrading your performance.
BVEStation.

Offline bve

• Dispatcher
  • OMSI anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 11:25:13 pm »
My Problem:

If you read the openBVE site properly it clearly states the platforms it supports are (Windows XP/Vista/7). Put it like this some computers are asleep before they start openBVE simulation. Then when they load a route, they get a rude awakening(in that case that's when you know something is up). Just saying. If you really want performance, you need a powerful CPU(not no P4 or P3 garbage), a fair amount of ram(not some 1GB DDR crap or 512MB or 256MB junk), and a HDD with a decent amount of storage to store everything(80GB- something's wrong).
Favorite LFS Powertrain: Cummins ISL 9 EPA10
                                        Allison WB-400R Gen IV
Favorite CNG/Diesel Engine: Detroit Diesel Series 50

Favorite Transmission Make: Allison Transmission

Offline Gong Gahou

• Operator
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 01:04:48 am »
Even with good specs, if you're still getting some really bad performance, then what Kevin said might be the solution. My desktop was originally capable of running openBVE well, but since my video card wasn't upgraded, my computer ran openBVE as if it was an ancient machine. After upgrading the video card, openBVE ran perfectly - as it should be.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 01:07:36 am by Gong Gahou »
Previously known as pjiang6211

Offline peacemak3r

• Dispatcher
  • NYCTF
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 03:26:30 am »
My old desktop has Windows XP and it ran OpenBVE with no problems, like everyone is saying; download all the dependencies.  I mean honestly a single core can still tackle OpenBVE with almost no problems.

I must disagree with what bve has to say, P4 is still enough to run OpenBVE; it just won't be as good as any common dual-core computer or any quad-core and up.  Though as what he is saying; a lot of people, as I assume, would have at least a dual-core by now. (I think they sell dual-core's as basic setups by now.)

In most cases, you just have old drivers as ipac stated.

Offline Rayvon

• Operator
  • BVEStation Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 12:51:07 pm »
p4 with 512mb RAM is actually perfect to run it on XP, I've done it for years