BVEStation

Author Topic: Handle Object Creation  (Read 6403 times)

Offline lboorse2

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
Handle Object Creation
« on: January 17, 2011, 04:54:17 pm »
OK - I need some tips on creating a handle object for my Cineston controller.  I've tried a few methods:

- Started with a photo - chopped out the entire handle and tried rotating using paint.net layer rotating tool and perspective plug-in for various angles and all looked horrible
 - Started with a photo - tried chopping the handle into pieces (for a center, a handle, and a knob) to move around in certain combinations.  Still didn't look right. 
 - Tried creating one from scratch in Paint.net - (My own drawing skills are terrible. 

I could go with a simple black handle for version 1 of the Septa M-3, but was hoping to create something a little more proto-typical even if it's not photo-real. 

What do you all typically use?  Do you use an object creator (like the various cylinder generators I see for download) or do you use some other methods.  I need some good tips here.

Thanks,
Lee

Offline Rayvon

• Operator
  • BVEStation Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Handle Object Creation
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 06:06:48 pm »
OK - I need some tips on creating a handle object for my Cineston controller.  I've tried a few methods:

- Started with a photo - chopped out the entire handle and tried rotating using paint.net layer rotating tool and perspective plug-in for various angles and all looked horrible
 - Started with a photo - tried chopping the handle into pieces (for a center, a handle, and a knob) to move around in certain combinations.  Still didn't look right. 
 - Tried creating one from scratch in Paint.net - (My own drawing skills are terrible. 

I could go with a simple black handle for version 1 of the Septa M-3, but was hoping to create something a little more proto-typical even if it's not photo-real. 

What do you all typically use?  Do you use an object creator (like the various cylinder generators I see for download) or do you use some other methods.  I need some good tips here.

Thanks,
Lee
I typically warp handle to fit the right perspective in Photoshop. Maybe GIMP would do something like that too?

Offline lboorse2

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 10:01:51 pm »
Is the function in Photoshop actually called "warp"?  I'll have to see if I can find something similar for Paint.net. 

I think my biggest problem is on the few photos I have of the handle, there's a lot of glare from camera flash or sun.  It's pretty wavy shape too... I'd have an easier time with a handle that had a few corners....

Here's what it looks like:

I may create something generic for now until I can get some better photos.  Ideally I'd get photos in every position if possible, but I just don't have that resource right now.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 10:12:08 pm by lboorse2 »

Offline Bombardier01800

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
    • View Profile
    • MBTA and NJT Transit Forums
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 10:03:46 pm »
Is the function in Photoshop actually called "warp"?  I'll have to see if I can find something similar for Paint.net. 

I think my biggest problem is on the few photos I have of the handle, there's a lot of glare from camera flash or sun.  It's pretty wavy shape too... I'd have an easier time with a handle that had a few corners....

Here's what it looks like:

I may create something generic for now until I can get some better photos.  Ideally I'd get photos in every position if possible, but I just don't have that resource right now.
You should be able to rip the color off...
Jose
BVEStation Administrator

Offline lboorse2

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 10:10:51 pm »
Ooohh... I didn't even think about stripping the color.  That might make things easier for sure.