BVEStation

Author Topic: WEATHER ADVISORY - Hurricane Irene  (Read 30565 times)

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
Re: WEATHER ADVISORY - Hurricane Irene
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2011, 04:42:04 pm »
Nothing happened for me.

@Mr. Railfan, remember what happened in December? I think its a lot better to be prepared and have no emergency then to have an emergency and not be prepared.

Offline Fox-179

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2011, 07:18:25 pm »
I don't think this was over hyped or reacted by people and the city.We live far north enough that a Hurricane won't be as strong as it was in the warmers waters over the south.Sure a Cat 1 or Tropical Storm is strong and will bring heavy rains and winds but its not like NYC is completely FLAT and on at or slightly above sea level all over.If it was like that it obviously would had been far worse.From what I saw on the news pictures and stuff Westchester County could had been the Bronx in that situation if the BX had no elevation(completely flat).
Battery Park City I couldn't believe my eyes seeing water that high and in parts of Queens.At least the city was well prepared given at least 5 days that it could had been as strong as a Cat 2 storm.
No one was safe from the storm whether where you lived if you think about it.
If you're on low ground your place could had been flooded.
If you're in a high rise apartment your chance of windows breaking increase.I'm glad no one was hurt or killed by anything the area.It's better to be safe than sorry like many say.For all we know this storm could had strengthened over night and been far worse and we are "overhyping" b\c we didn't expect to see floods everywhere like a Hurricane aftermath in the South.

Offline Simon

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member / Community Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2011, 08:59:59 pm »
Think about it like this. Would you rather:

A) Take early precautions and stay over at a relatives house, and get pissed off that nothing happened.

OR

B) Stay at home with the mentality that nothing is going to happen and end up drowning to death in your house.
______

You know what they say, it's better to be safe than sorry. Plus, I don't think any politician would want to be responsible for deaths.
Kawasaki_Plant

Offline Phantom909

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2011, 09:46:54 pm »
the reason for the precaution is a response to Hurricane katrina. No city wants to take the backlash tat happened back then.

I personally dont agree with mandatory evacuations, because its an abuse of power. What should b done is stongly suggest that people leave and explain that we will not be sending emergency personnel in to save you in case you stay.

Joe

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2011, 11:49:50 pm »
the reason for the precaution is a response to Hurricane katrina. No city wants to take the backlash tat happened back then.

I personally dont agree with mandatory evacuations, because its an abuse of power. What should b done is stongly suggest that people leave and explain that we will not be sending emergency personnel in to save you in case you stay.

Joe
Well, it wasn't exactly mandatory. People who stayed behind didn't get punished in any way because cops weren't going from door to door dragging people out

Offline peacemak3r

• Dispatcher
  • NYCTF
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2011, 01:38:55 am »
Well, it wasn't exactly mandatory. People who stayed behind didn't get punished in any way because cops weren't going from door to door dragging people out

I would have to disagree, from some people I've heard they were fined $500 for not evacuating if you were in Zone A.  Now I know that was probably not enforced as a whole but there were some instances.  Maybe to scare or force them to evacuate as well.  I'm unsure if people actually paid the fine as well.

Offline coneyislandDFNQ

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Route & Object Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2011, 09:45:55 am »
Damn! I just can't sleep in this type of weather! To be honest part of a tree just now fell in my back yard.Most of it landed in my neighbors backyard like 3 mins ago. The tree is only 15 - 25 feet away from my house. Very scary and horrifying

I didn't go to sleep until 6 am and my windows going crazy. Thank Good ness we taped them

Offline coneyislandDFNQ

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2011, 09:48:37 am »
Actually the fine is correct. The kayakers who were arrested were also fined.

The thing is if you choose not to evacuate it's at your own risk. But if you need emergency services they will charge you because you chose to be negligent and put these emergency crews at extra risk for being ignorant. They need to listen for once that way we don't have any casualties at all. The deaths in NY and NJ could have been avoided if people would just listen and prepare ahead of time.

Offline Haven

• Dispatcher
  • Stand Clear Of The Closing Doors Please *DingDong*
    • View Profile
    • SEPTATransitFan's Youtube Channel Please Subscribe!!
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2011, 06:01:38 am »
http://a.yfrog.com/img610/5914/krer.gif

You guys hear about Hurricane Katia? ^^^^^

It will be a Cat. 3 Tuesday and is hypothesized that it will hit The Caribbean and US
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 06:11:53 am by Haven »
http://www.youtube.com/user/havenas1020yt
Please Subscribe To My Youtube Channel

Offline coneyislandDFNQ

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2011, 09:13:24 am »
http://a.yfrog.com/img610/5914/krer.gif

You guys hear about Hurricane Katia? ^^^^^

It will be a Cat. 3 Tuesday and is hypothesized that it will hit The Caribbean and US

That doesnt even make sense when the name of the storm we had last was Hurricane IRENE!!!!

Jumping from I to K isnt exactly alphabetical. lol  ;D

Offline peacemak3r

• Dispatcher
  • NYCTF
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2011, 10:04:51 am »
They didn't jump from I to K.  We already had a J (Jose), but it was tracked as a Tropical Storm.

This is according to the 2011 Data sheet from National Hurricane Center's website.

Offline coneyislandDFNQ

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2011, 01:04:37 pm »
They didn't jump from I to K.  We already had a J (Jose), but it was tracked as a Tropical Storm.

This is according to the 2011 Data sheet from National Hurricane Center's website.

O okay thanks. lol. Apologies Haven.

Offline Lexington456

• Regular Developer
  • New Recruit
  • Long Live the Lex
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2011, 01:54:35 pm »

It died out quickly, right?

Offline coneyislandDFNQ

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2011, 03:46:02 pm »

looks like it

Offline R40R32

• Operator
  • RFC_NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2011, 05:10:24 pm »

Yes it did die Quickly , It lasted almost 2 days i believe
https://www.youtube.com/user/RailLine8?feature=mhee (My YouTube Channel)
http://www.youtube.com/user/RailLine7?feature=mhee (Second YouTube channel)
M.T.A. -Money Taking Agency