BVEStation

Author Topic: Other developer's objects and obtaining permission  (Read 4566 times)

Offline TJay1724

• Developer
  • Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
Other developer's objects and obtaining permission
« on: February 27, 2011, 06:31:10 pm »
I've been noticing a lot lately that in of lot of screenshots of routes in progress, there are quite a few of my objects and textures being used and some of my objects have been modified and claimed as someone else's work. Now I don't have a problem with the textures being used, but I do have a problem with my objects being used and/or modified without my consent. And to make it worse, claimed as if that person developed them themselves!!!! If you have seeked permission from me and received it, DISREGARD this post. If you have not, please discontinue all use of my objects. If you seek permission from myself as well as other developer's, I'm sure you will obtain it. As long as you provide the credit to the developer whom designed the object. I've noticed that people are not being credited either. A lot of the devloper's work extremely hard and very long on these routes and provide them for free for people to be blatantly using their work and calling it your own. Any objects I have used or modified, I have obtained permission and given credit for. This will be the last time I will speak about this. If this continues, I will cease all current development and have all of my released work removed from the internet.

Offline Rayvon

• Operator
  • BVEStation Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Other developer's objects and obtaining permission
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 07:43:47 pm »
I also take this very seriously as well. If any developers spot this in the future, please notify the staff as well

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 08:16:32 pm »
Even with most of the new routes popping up, and the fact that we've open sourced some of the material, doesn't quite mean that it can be taken without crediting.  The newer routes with the Creative Commons License requires some type of attribution.  So you must give us credit (even if you dont ask for permission)

If it does continue however and the request to have the files taken down goes through, it will only encourage smuggling of files illegally.  Which is why most of the developers here have opted to move toward Creative Commons, Open Source Licensing instead.  We don't want to stifle innovation by restrictions and copyrights, but you are required to credit us if you built upon our work.

What you have suggested TJay was done before, and it really wasn't a good thing for the community, I wont mention any names, but do think about who you are trying to help here.

Otherwise, we are in favor of people asking for permission, and/or crediting us when somebody uses our work, but we dont support the idea of removing things off the internet, but if it does come to that, then thats your personal decision that we will have to comply with.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 08:20:58 pm by ipac »
BVEStation.

Offline TJay1724

• Developer
  • Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 08:29:45 pm »
I get what your saying ipac. I'm more pissed about people taking credit for objects they didn't create or not giving credit to those who actually create them more than people using them without permission. That was my main point really.

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 08:34:28 pm »
That definitely is an issue, we've seen some people use our work without crediting which is a problem.  Given that extra right to not have to ask,and we still dont get credited.  Thats a shame to those who violate it for us Creative Common License supporters.
BVEStation.