BVEStation

Author Topic: (RELEASED) Official Development thread for the R46 for OpenBVE  (Read 248802 times)

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
  • 7 Years of Developing for openBVE!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: (RELEASED) Official Development thread for the R46 for OpenBVE
« Reply #135 on: January 03, 2012, 02:38:45 pm »
To create a glow effect, create a PNG texture that uses alpha channels to provide an opacity feature. Look at the door indicator for the R38 cab, it uses this.

Offline Rikabs

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 03, 2012, 03:14:44 pm »
Thanks for your input DJHammers - will do.

Offline nelson3001

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2012, 04:37:20 pm »
I think I know someone with a cab key. Maybe I could get some pics and we'll have a photorealistic cab. If you cannot do that just try to get permission from Zerobeats and modify his R44 cab.

Offline SubwayTrainOperator5

• Dispatcher
  • R44, R46, and R68 fan / OpenBVE Videomaker
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #138 on: January 03, 2012, 04:40:02 pm »
I think I know someone with a cab key. Maybe I could get some pics and we'll have a photorealistic cab. If you cannot do that just try to get permission from Zerobeats and modify his R44 cab.

Modifying an R44 cab into an R46 cab is much easier said than done, because there are lots of big differences. But if anyone will be willing to give it a shot, I have to wish you luck for this one.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 04:46:16 pm by SubwayTrainOperator5 »
Signature Removed (dead link)

Offline bnjypov

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
    • elektronika
« Reply #139 on: January 03, 2012, 10:12:24 pm »
This looks very nice but I have 2 suggestions:

1.  Why not put some ads in the interior?  IIRC R46's have the ads in front of the overhead lights but I don't see them in your interior
2.  As R46's go under SMS, they are getting black floors and NTT-style blue seats.  Will there be an post-SMS version as well?

To get the idea of post-SMS trains (not my video) Inside R46 (A) Train With Blue Seats:From 190 Street to Dyckman Street-200 Street!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 05:16:36 am by bnjypov »

Offline Simon

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member / Community Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 03, 2012, 11:53:16 pm »
Good suggestions. I would love to see a SMS-ed model as well (maybe in a future release).

By the way, is there a way to color in the top inside the cab? You can see a portion of the roof, maybe color the underside the yellowish color that corresponds with the cab? Using alpha channels to simulate the glass effect would be cool too.

As for the interior lighting, check out the LU1995 and the other LU train. The trains featured a setting to turn on and off the lights.

It would be nice to have a photorealistic cab for this train to truly perfect it. What happened to that guy who was also working on the 46 but then disappeared. He had a nice cab. Maybe if you could contact him and see if you guys could work something out.

Once again great job Rikabs. This thing looks sexy as hell and I can't wait to drive it.
Kawasaki_Plant

Offline SubwayTrainOperator5

• Dispatcher
  • R44, R46, and R68 fan / OpenBVE Videomaker
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #141 on: January 03, 2012, 11:57:35 pm »
1.  Why not put some ads in the interior?  IIRC R46's have the ads in front of the overhead lights but I don't see them in your interior

The ads are normally placed right ON the lights, so it would not be that hard. JayJay85's exterior has ads in those places
Signature Removed (dead link)

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #142 on: January 04, 2012, 08:48:38 am »
A very small detail, but I think that the action of the brake shoes on the wheels should be animated as well.

This can be done by creating a small brake shoe object (I can get a texture) and animating it by setting  it to translate along the X and Y axis to make contact with the wheel if brake cylinder pressure is slightly above 0 (to take brake cylinder friction action in to effect).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 09:01:52 am by Dj Hammers »

Offline error46146

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
    • Photography by me.
« Reply #143 on: January 04, 2012, 12:48:01 pm »
The roof ads will be done eventually. I still need to go out and get more ad 'textures' anyway lol..

I know about that part of the cab (i was hoping you guys wouldn't see that lmao), that will be taken care of eventually.

As for photorealistic cab, I have no cab photos..if you guys have any, I would definitely appreciate it. As said before converting an R44 cab into an R46 cab wouldn't be an easy job, especially the controller since the R44 and R46 have totally different controllers.

Making an SMS version wouldn't be too hard, it's just simply changing the colors of the seats. I can do that after the initial release if you guys want.

Right now I get about 5fps with the exterior view on a dual-core AMD laptop with 4GB ram and an ATI 3200 card..if we included animated brake shoes god knows how low the FPS would be lol

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #144 on: January 04, 2012, 02:44:29 pm »
The roof ads will be done eventually. I still need to go out and get more ad 'textures' anyway lol..

I know about that part of the cab (i was hoping you guys wouldn't see that lmao), that will be taken care of eventually.

As for photorealistic cab, I have no cab photos..if you guys have any, I would definitely appreciate it. As said before converting an R44 cab into an R46 cab wouldn't be an easy job, especially the controller since the R44 and R46 have totally different controllers.

Making an SMS version wouldn't be too hard, it's just simply changing the colors of the seats. I can do that after the initial release if you guys want.

Right now I get about 5fps with the exterior view on a dual-core AMD laptop with 4GB ram and an ATI 3200 card..if we included animated brake shoes god knows how low the FPS would be lol
It's very odd that FPS is that low. The .animated file should be looked at more closely,
it seems as if some of the functions used for animation may be more complicated and computationally intensive than need be.

Offline BeeRyDavis

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 04, 2012, 05:39:57 pm »
I think nycsubway.org has cab photos of the R46. I remember seeing a few up there once.

Offline BeeRyDavis

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 04, 2012, 06:15:05 pm »
http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?102198

I hope this helps. Here is a cab view

Offline Simon

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member / Community Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 04, 2012, 06:18:10 pm »
Please leave an option for no ads on the lights. The 46 does look better like that.
Kawasaki_Plant

Offline bnjypov

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
    • elektronika
« Reply #148 on: January 04, 2012, 08:17:46 pm »

Also the black NTT-style floors.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 05:15:26 am by bnjypov »

Offline error46146

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
    • Photography by me.
« Reply #149 on: January 05, 2012, 12:32:59 pm »
R46 on the LIRR

No more previews that's the last one..now to actually focus working on the train lol