BVEStation

Author Topic: Expresses running slower lately  (Read 4510 times)

Offline Pacific385

• Dispatcher
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
Expresses running slower lately
« on: July 02, 2011, 09:12:37 pm »
I've been riding on some express trains lately, to be exact:
- R160A-2 (once), R160B Alstom (once), R160B Siemens (twice) (N) via 4th Avenue Express
- R142A (4) Between Atlantic and Franklin

Compared to other times, these trains've been running slower lately compared to about a month or 2 ago. My question is:
Are they putting timers on all the express routes?

Offline BStyles

• Head Admin
  • Operator
  • The CEO
    • View Profile
Re: Expresses running slower lately
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 09:27:20 pm »
- R160A-2 (once), R160B Alstom (once), R160B Siemens (twice) (N) via 4th Avenue Express

Compared to other times, these trains've been running slower lately compared to about a month or 2 ago. My question is:

R160A-2 and R160B, specify the line.

For the N via 4th Avenue, I'm not sure if they're putting new timers along the route, but I do know that there are existing timers(and the fact that the fleet is ever changing can throw a T/O off). There is a sharp curve right after Atlantic/Pacific(where 4th Avenue meets Atlantic) and you don't want trains to overshoot the station and hit the curve.

Between Atlantic going towards Franklin Avenue, no, there shouldn't be any timers. The train is going uphill, so the gradient takes care of the speed. However, if you're going towards Atlantic, there are GT timers all along the passageway(since the 4 and 5 express tracks are directly beneath the 2 and 3 tracks, they make the same sharp curve into Grand Army Plaza. Without the timers, going downhill a train can easily hit 60).

There's also ongoing construction on the 2 and 3 platform for the connection to the future Barclays Center, as well as construction on the Fulton Street Transit Center. Any line that passes through that complex can see reduced speeds as far as five stations away.

BStyles

Offline Twigga

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 09:35:58 pm »
The 4th Express is like the highway, so that might've been traffic, although 4th does get pretty crowded sometimes, especially around Pacific and Dekalb.

The stretch between Franklin takes the same path as the local tracks above the express ones the 4 travels on. So there are some one and two shots on the curves and grades there. That stretch always seems slow. Plus, Eastern Parkway is always crowded during the day. Rogers Junction runs at capacity and handles 4 lines on weekdays, so it gets pretty slow. 

They have been adding timers though a lot of places, or reprogramming some to make them slower so yeah, could've been anything knowing the TA. Their motto operations wise seems to be Safer Equals Slower. lol

Offline Twigga

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 09:39:52 pm »

For the N via 4th Avenue, I'm not sure if they're putting new timers along the route, but I do know that there are existing timers(and the fact that the fleet is ever changing can throw a T/O off). There is a sharp curve right after Atlantic/Pacific(where 4th Avenue meets Atlantic) and you don't want trains to overshoot the station and hit the curve.

Between Atlantic going towards Franklin Avenue, no, there shouldn't be any timers. The train is going uphill, so the gradient takes care of the speed. However, if you're going towards Atlantic, there are GT timers all along the passageway(since the 4 and 5 express tracks are directly beneath the 2 and 3 tracks, they make the same sharp curve into Grand Army Plaza. Without the timers, going downhill a train can easily hit 60).

There's also ongoing construction on the 2 and 3 platform for the connection to the future Barclays Center, as well as construction on the Fulton Street Transit Center. Any line that passes through that complex can see reduced speeds as far as five stations away.

BStyles

It isn't uphill all the way. I don't know all the signals, but there is a nasty ass one shot on a downhill/sharp curve not too far off from Franklin going Utica/Flatbush bound.

They hold a lot of trains at Atlantic due to traffic on and near the bridge, so the trains behind the one getting the hold are gonna see the consequences too lol.

I just feel transit smart for today, don't mind me though. lol

Offline Orion V CNG #748

• Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 09:53:56 pm »

i ran into a video of the (A) @ B'way Junction with timers. So my guess i think they are putting timers on express routes

New Broadway Junction (A)(C) Timer N/B

Offline Pacific385

• Dispatcher
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 09:58:09 pm »

BStyles
The (N) on the same stretch