BVEStation

Author Topic: Coming to New York Soon  (Read 4110 times)

Offline Haven

• Dispatcher
  • Stand Clear Of The Closing Doors Please *DingDong*
    • View Profile
    • SEPTATransitFan's Youtube Channel Please Subscribe!!
Coming to New York Soon
« on: June 30, 2011, 10:37:27 pm »
Okay, Wassup guys?!

I'm scheduling a day or two for me to come to NY and railfan my ass off!
I think ill hit the IRT first and go from there. If you guys want to come meet me, the place is TBA

I STILL DONT KNOW WHEN I"M COMING I'll keep you up to date.

By the way, i need help with MetroCards and all. How do they work and how much are they?

It would be really cool to meet you guys and ill see you in the future. (possibly)
http://www.youtube.com/user/havenas1020yt
Please Subscribe To My Youtube Channel

Offline bve

• Dispatcher
  • OMSI anyone?
    • View Profile
Re: Coming to New York Soon
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 10:43:40 pm »
Bascially to use it all you do is swipe it at the turnstile. You'll see a something like GO $2.25 paid or some like that. You can buy one at various stores across the city(usually like check's cashed, or other retail stores). Also you can go into the subway, use a machine, and purchase one there. You need at least $2.25. You can also check here for more info on the machines:
http://www.mta.info/metrocard/mvms/index.htm
Favorite LFS Powertrain: Cummins ISL 9 EPA10
                                        Allison WB-400R Gen IV
Favorite CNG/Diesel Engine: Detroit Diesel Series 50

Favorite Transmission Make: Allison Transmission

Offline Orion V CNG #748

• Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 10:58:54 pm »
if your interested in our busses its something different using your metrocard. what you do is walk in and you will see this box thats up to your waist. (depends on your height lol) what you do is that you will see is a little horizontal space, turn your metrocard pointing down facing you, put it through that space and thats it. you paid! also your metrocard will pop back up. so dont leave it there hangin. if you want you can pay in coins also. exact fare.

- in my opinion if you want to capture some bus sounds i would ride the Orion V CNG. It would definitely give you excitement with its great sounds lol

this is what im talkin about
Sound Clip: 1999 Orion V CNG #7248

psssst! psssssst!!! down here! yes here! click me!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 11:47:29 pm by Orion V CNG #748 »

Offline bve

• Dispatcher
  • OMSI anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 11:10:56 pm »
Also just to remind you The B, M, Bx, S, or Q in front of a number means the borough. The B stands for Brooklyn, S for Staten Island, etc. X is Express bus. QM, BxM, or BM are also express designations because they are express buse lines running in mutliple borough's. QBx is Local though. N is for LIB routes. Lastly, our buses don't except Bills. ;)
Favorite LFS Powertrain: Cummins ISL 9 EPA10
                                        Allison WB-400R Gen IV
Favorite CNG/Diesel Engine: Detroit Diesel Series 50

Favorite Transmission Make: Allison Transmission

Offline error46146

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
    • Photography by me.
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 11:11:11 pm »
Shoulda came a year ago when they still had the 1-day fun pass lol...that was the stupidest decision ever imo to cut the fun pass

But yea, go to a machine at the subway, get a metrocard. I recommend you pay the machine $37.85 and you will get 18 rides even with no leftover (they have some retarded 7% bonus now which basically will add a 7% onto your metrocard total and leaving you with odd amounts leftover like $1.81 which then you will have to bring pennies to refill at a token booth which most of the time they won't even do it for you - it's a long story lol). Or, if you plan on being here for a week, get a 7 day unlimited metrocard which will give you unlimited rides on subways and NYC Local bus, LI Bus and Westchester Bee Line buses for 7 days. (there is also a 30-day one if you plan on being here for a month) The weekly Metrocard is 29, and the monthly is 104. The minimum purchase for regular metrocards is 4.50; they will not sell you a metrocard with less than 4.50 with it.

The fare for the subway or bus is 2.25. With your 2.25, you can take one bus and one subway or two buses in any order. If you enter the subway or same bus route twice, you will be charged again. You can ride the subway as much or as long as you want for 2.25 as long as you stay within fare control (the turnstiles); once you exit you will be charged to get in again. All subway and bus or bus and bus transfers are valid within 2 hours and 18 minutes; you will be charged again once that time window passes.

To use a metrocard, as said before swipe it through the metrocard reader on the right hand side of the turnstile. If you did it correctly, it will tell you to proceed (GO), and if you have a regular metrocard it will show how much $$$ you have left on it. (if you have an unlimited it will just say GO).

If you ever visit Staten Island, swipe at St. George with a regular metrocard and you will be given an extra transfer to use on certain bus routes if going away from Manhattan or to the subway if going to manhattan.

PATH accepts Metrocards too, but since they are not run by the MTA they have a different policy. They do not accept any type of unlimited metrocard, they do not take or give transfers, and the fare for PATH is $1.75 which will be an additional charge to your metrocard regardless.  When fanning PATH do not go past Journal Square unless you plan on paying again. I don't know whether Westchester Bee line takes unlimited cards or not as I have never done it myself.

That's pretty much all you need to know about the Metrocard in a nutshell (besides it's history and everything), if you're still confused there is always the MTA website to help you:
http://www.mta.info/fares/

Good luck!

Offline Haven

• Dispatcher
  • Stand Clear Of The Closing Doors Please *DingDong*
    • View Profile
    • SEPTATransitFan's Youtube Channel Please Subscribe!!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 06:33:42 am »
Thanks error. that really clears it up.  and thank you all for helping.
http://www.youtube.com/user/havenas1020yt
Please Subscribe To My Youtube Channel