BVEStation

Author Topic: OpenBVE Developer michelle leaves  (Read 11122 times)

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
OpenBVE Developer michelle leaves
« on: May 09, 2012, 01:16:22 pm »

Odakyufan, one of the OFFICIAL developers of OpenBVE also creator of the well known fictional Chashinai Railway route, has re-uploaded the latest build of OpenBVE on his website.  You can download it by visiting the link below.

http://odakyufan.zxq.net/

As of yesterday night, OpenBVE Developer michelle has announced that she will no longer be developing OpenBVE.  Trainsimframework.org has also been shut down, due to expenses by the people who owned the domain.  Thankfully the program was open source, and public domain allowing anyone to modify, and use the source code in anyway they please.

I had quite anticipated this, as there was little reason to release all the work in public domain when there could've been a slightly more restrictive license used, but for now, we can be thankful that we have something to build on.

OpenBVE will be re-uploaded on BVEStation's servers as soon as somebody provides the main executables and source codes of the latest version of the program.

Continued development on the program is still pending, as some members of the BVE community, including BVEStation members want to create a fork.  Information on OpenBVE's forks or other developments can be seen on BVEStation's Forums, and community involvement at other BVE communities can be seen at http://bveworldwide.unlimitedboard.com/t396-open-bve-discussion-board-closed-what-next

Frankly, I'm surprised that this is such big news and not a single moderator, or administrator has put this on the homepage.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 07:48:06 pm by ipac »
BVEStation.

Offline coneyislandDFNQ

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Route & Object Developer
    • View Profile
Re: OpenBVE Developer michelle leaves
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 12:32:16 am »
We have a surprise to help you out ipac. DJ Hammers, myself, stump, & CT1660 will relay the news as soon as we are set up. Stay tuned.

Offline U_Mad?

• New Recruit
  • Conductor-OpenBve
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 03:44:56 pm »
Sad, but I guess we all have to move on at one point in our life.

:(

Offline kyz101

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 01:28:34 pm »
how can i get bve working on windows 7
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 03:25:32 pm by kyz101 »

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
  • 7 Years of Developing for openBVE!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 02:32:52 pm »
Full support, documentation, and downloads are now available at www.openBVE.org.

Offline [CT1660]

• Dispatcher
  • openBVE Developer, OMSI Repainter & Engine Modder
    • View Profile
    • Enter The Lair
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 10:16:43 am »
Speaking of that, looks like the site for Mackoy's BVE 2/4/5 is gone as well...From the looks of it, it seems that BVE 2/4/5 could be considered abandonware soon unless that site comes back up..

Offline Lance

• Operator
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 11:24:01 am »
Well, that's not all that surprising to me. BVE2/4 could only be used for computers with Windows XP or lower (unless you modify your computer). Most people nowadays have at least Vista PCs or are using Macs. Then BVE5 was a non-starter for the community because it uses a completely different coding style than previous versions/openBVE. It is unfortunate in a way that he disappeared before the new version was completed but I really don't see BVE5 taking off like openBVE did in his previous absence.

'70s style service sign at Times Sq-42 St.

Offline SubwayTrainOperator5

• Dispatcher
  • R44, R46, and R68 fan / OpenBVE Videomaker
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 02:15:05 pm »
Well, considering we are slowly phasing out of making content compatible with BVE2/4 and there is no point making content exclusively for BVE5 since OpenBVE is as good as it gets, BVE2/4/5 is now at risk of being forgotten forever.
Signature Removed (dead link)

Offline Gong Gahou

• Operator
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 03:27:32 pm »
Guys, BVE isn't down, and mackoy didn't stop making BVE. The old link doesn't work because mackoy moved his webpage. Update your bookmarks, because here's the new link: http://www.bvets.net/
The change was made on May 21st. Wikipedia already listed the new website on its own page on BVE Transim.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 03:52:43 pm by Gong Gahou »
Previously known as pjiang6211

Offline [CT1660]

• Dispatcher
  • openBVE Developer, OMSI Repainter & Engine Modder
    • View Profile
    • Enter The Lair
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 05:05:01 pm »
Ah ok. Some of the tutorials referencing the old BVE trainsim page for those who are unable to run OpenBVE should be updated with the link.