BVEStation

Author Topic: (RELEASED) Official Update Thread For The NYCTA R38 By Dj Hammers  (Read 141554 times)

Offline error46146

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
    • Photography by me.
Re: Official Update Thread For The NYCTA R38 By Dj Hammers
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 09:19:48 pm »
I just received the train package from DJ Hammers, I'll have it up on the site by tomorrow so sit tight..

Offline Bombardier01800

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
    • View Profile
    • MBTA and NJT Transit Forums
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 10:34:29 pm »
Also I forgot to mention that the train's textures were synced to a Huey PRO color calibration device and that the train's dimensions in the train.dat have been re-calculated to the accuracy of around the nearest 100,000th!  ;)
Wow! I'd say that's REALLY accurate!
Jose
BVEStation Administrator

Offline error46146

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
    • Photography by me.
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 03:52:14 pm »
The R38 has been uploaded onto the site..go to the Downloads page ( http://www.bvestation.com/downloads.php ); it should be the first one..Enjoy!

Just a little warning: the download may be only 10MB, but you'll need well over 100MB of disk space for the entire package as he included the R38 in various configurations (2,4,6,8 and 10-car train).  You do not need to install the entire set.

Offline Rikabs

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 12:00:17 am »
Just tried it and I LOVE IT!! Appreciate your hard work and dedication in creating this train.

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
  • 7 Years of Developing for openBVE!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 07:46:14 pm »
Just tried it and I LOVE IT!! Appreciate your hard work and dedication in creating this train.
Thanks!  ;D I'm glad that you enjoy it. Things like this take months of hard work to create.

I have received word that the description for the R38 on its download page is out of date. This should be corrected soon.

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 08:00:24 pm »
The next update for the R38 is in progress. Various inaccurate things are being corrected and a lot of sound improvements are being meticulously worked on by yours truly.

Offline Bombardier01800

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 08:52:03 pm »
Yo, lemme know if you need some help
Jose
BVEStation Administrator

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 09:03:37 pm »
That's alright Jose, but I have everything under control right now. But how are things on the L going? Just curious.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 09:07:46 pm by BStyles »

Offline Bombardier01800

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2011, 03:14:38 pm »
That's alright Jose, but I have everything under control right now. But how are things on the L going? Just curious.
Cool. Well, the L is stopped for now, mainly because I don't have time, but whenever I get a couple of minutes I'll do a thing here and there
Jose
BVEStation Administrator

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Ok so today I managed to finally run the R38 on a PC, which means that I could test out plugin functionality. There were a few things I noticed.

1: The horn button animation doesn't work for me.
2: The wiper switch graphic looks weird when the wiper switch is in the "on" position.
3: Pressing pageup 2, 4, 6, 8, (and onwards counting by 2) times results in the wiper staying on but the switch saying that the wiper is off.

Does anyone else have these problems or is it just me?

Offline Fox-179

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2011, 07:11:47 pm »
Ok so today I managed to finally run the R38 on a PC, which means that I could test out plugin functionality. There were a few things I noticed.

1: The horn button animation doesn't work for me.
2: The wiper switch graphic looks weird when the wiper switch is in the "on" position.
3: Pressing pageup 2, 4, 6, 8, (and onwards counting by 2) times results in the wiper staying on but the switch saying that the wiper is off.

Does anyone else have these problems or is it just me?
I don't use the train much b\c of that lag but when I used it for my music vid the horn animation I didn't see anything.Not sure about the wipers though.But will or do you consider on making a version without the alpha channels?

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2011, 09:17:57 pm »
The current version of the R38 doesn't utilize any alpha channels except for places where they are specifically needed for graphical functionality such as ambient light. Depending on your graphics card you may experience lag; older and lower end graphics cards provide very poor depth sorting performance. Try updating your graphics drivers if you haven't already.

I don't really plan on releasing a version without alpha channels right now because it is very likely that due Moore's law, in the very near future, all computers (And most of today's) will easily be able to process alpha channels without any lag (I got no lag with the train using an ATI Radeon HD 4350).

But yes the horn animation issue seems to be confirmed. I looked over the code and could not find anything wrong, is there anyone out there who can help me out with this? Knowing how most of the bugs in my work have been found and corrected, it is probably something really simple like a spelling error... lol

Also does anyone know how to convert the .dll plugin in the R38 to a .NET plugin so it is compatible will other OS'es such as OS X and Linux? If the plugin can be converted to run on normally on a mac, I could devote more time to the quality control of the plugin features.

Offline Rayvon

• Operator
  • BVEStation Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 12:36:58 am »
The current version of the R38 doesn't utilize any alpha channels except for places where they are specifically needed for graphical functionality such as ambient light. Depending on your graphics card you may experience lag; older and lower end graphics cards provide very poor depth sorting performance. Try updating your graphics drivers if you haven't already.

I don't really plan on releasing a version without alpha channels right now because it is very likely that due Moore's law, in the very near future, all computers (And most of today's) will easily be able to process alpha channels without any lag (I got no lag with the train using an ATI Radeon HD 4350).

But yes the horn animation issue seems to be confirmed. I looked over the code and could not find anything wrong, is there anyone out there who can help me out with this? Knowing how most of the bugs in my work have been found and corrected, it is probably something really simple like a spelling error... lol

Also does anyone know how to convert the .dll plugin in the R38 to a .NET plugin so it is compatible will other OS'es such as OS X and Linux? If the plugin can be converted to run on normally on a mac, I could devote more time to the quality control of the plugin features.
If you can get your hands on the source code then you should be able to just compile it into a .NET Plugin

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Official Update Thread For The NYCTA R38 By Dj Hammers - Work Restarted
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2011, 07:01:26 pm »
Ok work on the R38 has started up again. There is no limit to the attention to detail I want to implement on this train.  ;D

A couple of goals for the next release:
1: Convert the .dll plugin the train uses in to a .net plugin. I really have NO idea how to do this and I have no experience at all with coding .net, C#, C++ etc..... (Damn school has no engineering program...  :'().

2: Fix the horn animation so it actually works. I really have no idea what is wrong with this thing, I looked at the code hundreds of times and it looks like it should work....

3: Find a way to improve the dynamics of how the windshield wiper switch works.

4: Implement the open and closing side window feature (The code is actually present in the current version, it is just a matter of doing A LOT of tweaking and texture work to get it working right.)

5: Find out what is causing lag on some computers (May be caused by problems with integrated graphics chipsets)

6: Improve the exterior, notably the front.

7: Reduce the file size of the train.

8: Implement some sound improvements.

9: Tweak the braking behavior. While the train brakes realistically in terms of movement, the brake system itself (Such as air pressure values) is not true to the real train.

10: Fix some weird graphical glitches with the power and brake controllers in low brightness. (How on earth do I fix this?)

11: If possible, greatly improve the cab light feature.

12: Possibly implement animated wheels and pivoting trucks. (Not sure if this is a go)

Offline F train fan

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2011, 07:13:55 pm »
just a question are you planning on making an 8 car R38 for the C train service in openbve