BVEStation

Author Topic: Computer Question  (Read 15394 times)

Offline Mkoyf

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
Computer Question
« on: June 17, 2013, 05:12:34 pm »
The Inspiron 660s-772 is on sale for $199. Is this computer good for OpenBVE? Will it deliver the best of the best or like
Very bad? Let me know, Thanks guys

Offline Mkoyf

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Question
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 05:17:11 pm »
Specifications
General Information
Series   Inspiron
Model Number   I660S-772BK
Lifestyle   Home & Student
Color   Black
Operating System
Operating System   Microsoft Windows 8 Home
Case & Motherboard
Case Orientation   Vertical
Processor
CPU Brand   Intel
CPU Core   Single-Core
CPU Type   Celeron
CPU Speed   G465 (1.9GHz)
Smart Cache   1.5MB
FSB   5 GT/s
CPU Socket   LGA 1155
CPUs Installed   1
CPUs Supported   1
CPU Main Features   Virtualization Technology
Hyper-Threading Technology
Idle States
Execute Disable Bit
Thermal Monitoring Technologies
Intel 64
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology
Intel Fast Memory Access
Intel Flex Memory Access
Intel VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT)
Memory
Total Memory   2GB
Memory Speed   DDR3-1600
Form Factor   240-pin DIMM
Memory Configuration   1 x 2GB
Hard Drive
HD Capacity   500GB
HD Interface   SATA
HD RPM   7,200 RPM
HD Configuration   1 x 500GB

Offline Threxx1

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 05:32:03 pm »
Not enough memory, and if it's integrated graphics then it's definitely a no go..

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 06:32:12 pm »
That computer would lag in cab view.... openBVE would literally run like a slideshow in exterior view.....

You would give this type of computer to your grandma so that she could email you... not for gaming

Offline Mkoyf

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 08:18:31 pm »
thanks guys for your advice,
which computer is both on the cheap side and works superb with openbve, gta 4, bus sims

Offline AyooDess

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 08:54:14 pm »
Well the price you pay is the price you get, and most computers you buys from Best Buy, Staples, etc. have integrated graphics, which can barely play anything. What I would suggest you to do is spend the least amount of money on a computer that has a PCI-E x16 slot and buy a decent graphics card and make sure it has 2GB+ of Ram and sufficient amount of HDD for your preference.I would buy a decent GPU and upgrade the CPU depending on the motherboard slot if needed. I bought my HP for $400 and I spent around $110(buying the PSU and GPU) while the desktop preloads 4gb of Ram and 1TB of HDD. But I can't say anything unless I know your price range. So, what is your price range, or the maximum amount of money you want to spend?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 08:56:05 pm by AyooDess »

Offline HijauKuda

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 09:08:14 pm »
If these words are in the PC specs, it's junk:
Home
Student
Single Core
Inspiron
Celeron
Windows Home

If these words are NOT in the PC specs, it's junk:
Graphics|Video Card

If CPU speed is <2.5G, it's junk.

Retail stores are notorious for pushing junk.
You're better off studying whats available on eBay, spending a few days educating yourself on PC specs,
before you or your parents fork over several hundred bucks to a retail store on a piece of cr*p,
that can barely browse the internet, much less run games.

Offline Mkoyf

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 09:42:50 pm »
my budget is : 500, but for the price i pay i sorta expect stunning graphics with absolutely nooooo lag

Offline AyooDess

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 10:01:15 pm »
Are you allowed to buy online? Newegg has some great deals for desktops, from what I've experienced.

Offline Fan Railer

• Global Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • Train Developer
    • View Profile
    • Fan Railer's YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 10:06:06 pm »
my budget is : 500, but for the price i pay i sorta expect stunning graphics with absolutely nooooo lag
Well, take it from my personal experience. My old laptop had 6 gb ram, a 3.0 ghz gen 2 i5 processor, Intel Integrated HD 3000 chip set graphics, and cost ~ $600.
OpenBVE lagged like hell on it. (average of 4-6 fps with the new R46)

My NEW laptop has slightly less hard drive space (500 gb vs 640 gb), only 4 gb ram, a 3.2 ghz gen 3 i5 processor, and NVIDIA's GeForce GT 730M discreet graphics card. It costed only ~$70 more (tax included). 
OpenBVE runs beautifully. (average of 17-20 fps with the new R46).

I'm going to tell you the hard truth. You can't get a computer with the discreet graphics spec you want for your budget, unless you're sacrificing much needed Hard Drive capacity, or RAM, or you're getting a shitty processor. You want something that performs? You'll have to sacrifice a little more $.

Offline AyooDess

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 10:11:45 pm »
Well, take it from my personal experience. My old laptop had 6 gb ram, a 3.0 ghz gen 2 i5 processor, Intel Integrated HD 3000 chip set graphics, and cost ~ $600.
OpenBVE lagged like hell on it. (average of 4-6 fps with the new R46)

My NEW laptop has slightly less hard drive space (500 gb vs 640 gb), only 4 gb ram, a 3.2 ghz gen 3 i5 processor, and NVIDIA's GeForce GT 730M discreet graphics card. It costed only ~$70 more (tax included). 
OpenBVE runs beautifully. (average of 17-20 fps with the new R46).

I'm going to tell you the hard truth. You can't get a computer with the discreet graphics spec you want for your budget, unless you're sacrificing much needed Hard Drive capacity, or RAM, or you're getting a shitty processor. You want something that performs? You'll have to sacrifice a little more $.
How about a computer with a Quad Core AMD CPU or i3 CPU or maybe even an 8 core AMD CPU and a Nvidia 610,Radeon HD 6450, or HD 6670 with 4gb/8gb ram? I think that would run decent for recent games now.

Offline Fan Railer

• Global Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • Train Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 10:27:17 pm »
How about a computer with a Quad Core AMD CPU or i3 CPU or maybe even an 8 core AMD CPU and a Nvidia 610,Radeon HD 6450, or HD 6670 with 4gb/8gb ram? I think that would run decent for recent games now.
You might loose a few FPS if the processor is a little dated or has a lower GHz rating, BUT the main factor in performance here regarding lag is whether you have discrete graphics or integrated graphics, the former being preferred. That being said, I can't say whether the i3 really has a negative impact on performance when mated to discrete graphics, since I haven't had first hand experience with that processor, or the AMD line of processors either. Strictly speaking, I'm an Intel guy.

Offline AyooDess

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 10:34:03 pm »
You might loose a few FPS if the processor is a little dated or has a lower GHz rating, BUT the main factor in performance here regarding lag is whether you have discrete graphics or integrated graphics, the former being preferred. That being said, I can't say whether the i3 really has a negative impact on performance when mated to discrete graphics, since I haven't had first hand experience with that processor, or the AMD line of processors either. Strictly speaking, I'm an Intel guy.
Well we can all agree integrated graphics is worthless and yeah, I think AMD specializes in gaming while from the eyes I see, Intel specializes in media(in my opinion), but they're both wonderful. And spending 500 bucks or a little bit more can get you a decent computer, more decent than mine actually. I'll show you what I mean when I post the links for Mkoyf.

Offline Fan Railer

• Global Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • Train Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2013, 10:43:07 pm »
Ahh I c. PCs are a different story lol. You can find them for cheaper than your average high performance laptop. Personally, this one stood out to me as a pretty decent deal:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227467
For an extra $40 or so, ya get the extra 4 gbs of ram, not to mention the 7200 rpm drive vs your more typical 5400 rpm drive, which go a long way if you're trying to multitask.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 10:44:38 pm by Fan Railer »