BVEStation

Author Topic: Subway cars in the media? - Post sightings here!  (Read 12940 times)

Offline [CT1660]

• Dispatcher
  • openBVE Developer, OMSI Repainter & Engine Modder
    • View Profile
    • Enter The Lair
Subway cars in the media? - Post sightings here!
« on: November 09, 2011, 07:54:38 pm »
Whether actual subway cars, mock-up props, or modified subway cars, post em here!

Here's an R27/R30/R30A subway car that was modified so it would look like an R32. The drop-sash window is a dead giveaway, as well as the lack of metal rims on the door windows (showing the black rubber-like rims)

Men In Black 2 - Subway Scene

Offline error46146

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
    • Photography by me.
Re: Subway cars in the media? - Post sightings here!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 10:33:04 pm »
MIB2's classic subway scene..that was all done on a set, they probably modeled it on an R32 lol..

Offline [CT1660]

• Dispatcher
  • openBVE Developer, OMSI Repainter & Engine Modder
    • View Profile
    • Enter The Lair
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 08:21:30 am »
MIB2's classic subway scene..that was all done on a set, they probably modeled it on an R32 lol..

Then how come it has the drop-sash windows found on the R27/R30 instead of the picture windows. Also, in the interior, you can see the axiflow fans instead of the post-GOH air conditioning vents.

Offline error46146

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
    • Photography by me.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 01:36:22 pm »
The exterior looks more like an R32 than an R27/R30..as you can see they didn't model it perfectly but im pretty sure the design leans towards the 32 instead of the 27/30.

Offline Gong Gahou

• Operator
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 04:05:18 pm »
I agree with NYZ3RODAY. That can only be an R27/R30/R30A car. It can't be an R32 because some things won't make sense.
Previously known as pjiang6211

Offline Ben

• New Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 08:25:17 pm »
it is a R32 because of the number

according to TTMG, numbers for the 32s are 3348, 3350-3658, and 3660-3949.

The number in the movie is a 3674.

One second thought, 81st Street Museum of Natural History is not a express station, its tiles are not yellow, and there are supposed to be animals on the wall, particularly dinosaurs and other stuff. The station looks more like 14th Street (A,C,E) in Manhattan or Kew Gardens Union Turnpike (E.F) in Queens.

The subway door sound is messed up.
The little brother of error46146

Offline bve

• Dispatcher
  • OMSI anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 08:55:40 pm »

One second thought, 81st Street Museum of Natural History is not a express station, its tiles are not yellow, and there are supposed to be animals on the wall, particularly dinosaurs and other stuff. The station looks more like 14th Street (A,C,E) in Manhattan or Kew Gardens Union Turnpike (E.F) in Queens.

More like 145st on the B and D since there is platforms on both sides of the track.
Favorite LFS Powertrain: Cummins ISL 9 EPA10
                                        Allison WB-400R Gen IV
Favorite CNG/Diesel Engine: Detroit Diesel Series 50

Favorite Transmission Make: Allison Transmission

Offline Gong Gahou

• Operator
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 10:31:05 pm »

Well, of course there would be an R32 number plate on there - they made a mockup of an R32, so it would make sense to add an actual number from the R32 rolling stock. But that is not enough to say that it's an R32. A number plate can be easily made and changed, and it costs little to do so. Yet, as what NYZ3RODAY already mentioned, there are some parts on the train that the R32s don't have. I agree with him because the clues that was mentioned gave the actual identity of the car away. Plus, if it was an R32 that was actually used then none of the clues should be present, plus the MTA is not going to waste money to add the black rubber rims on the doors or, if that argument doesn't hold water, modify the ceiling and side windows to give it qualities that an R32 doesn't have.

But ehh that's just my two cents. I see that they are dead giveaways just like NYZ3RODAY did and I also offered the most reasonable answer to support it, but I don't expect everyone to believe it. Feel free to think it's an R32.  :)
Previously known as pjiang6211

Offline R40R32

• Operator
  • RFC_NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 11:03:51 pm »
I know its from men in black ,
But why does that station remind me so much of 7th Avenue on the (F) in Brooklyn or 15th Street-Prospect Park?
https://www.youtube.com/user/RailLine8?feature=mhee (My YouTube Channel)
http://www.youtube.com/user/RailLine7?feature=mhee (Second YouTube channel)
M.T.A. -Money Taking Agency

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 11:17:48 pm »
Lol,the stop 81st St-Museum of Natural History we all know is only a local stop,and has 2 express tracks next to the local track.

Offline Fox-179

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 07:17:13 am »

Good point.But this is 81st street in the movie but does look like it could had been filmed at 14th-8th Av or Kew Gardens.
And yea about the door sounds its a movie.

More like 145st on the B and D since there is platforms on both sides of the track.
Not even 145th (B)(D) level is a consist of 2 island platforms with 3 lowel level tracks the uptown platform is much wider than the downtown side.
I know its from men in black ,
But why does that station remind me so much of 7th Avenue on the (F) in Brooklyn or 15th Street-Prospect Park?
Great possibilities but not 15th St more likely 7th Av because the obvious reason of 4 tracks 2 island stations.
Lol,the stop 81st St-Museum of Natural History we all know is only a local stop,and has 2 express tracks next to the local track.
Already stated its a damn movie!

Offline error46146

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
    • Photography by me.
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 11:58:14 am »
Just to clear things up, there is absolutely no way they could have used an actual subway car to film this scene - that 'subway car' was an artificially made prop just for this purpose. In addition I highly doubt they filmed this scene in an actual subway station as well.

Offline R40R32

• Operator
  • RFC_NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 04:25:11 pm »
I think they Filmed it on 7th avenue on the (F) line or it just looks that way to me but whatever , Filmed in a subway or not Its a lousy cover up job to even dare make it look like a R32 or even a R38 LMFAO
https://www.youtube.com/user/RailLine8?feature=mhee (My YouTube Channel)
http://www.youtube.com/user/RailLine7?feature=mhee (Second YouTube channel)
M.T.A. -Money Taking Agency

Offline Pacific385

• Dispatcher
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 05:09:49 pm »
I think they Filmed it on 7th avenue on the (F) line or it just looks that way to me but whatever , Filmed in a subway or not Its a lousy cover up job to even dare make it look like a R32 or even a R38 LMFAO
But, they are advertising the product for everybody. Not everybody can tell one train type from another(ex, R32 and R38 or R142 and R142A). They just wanted to get the word out about the mod or the new addition

Offline Lance

• Operator
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 08:11:49 pm »
Also, it's a fucking movie! Be glad they used something not only resembling a New York City subway train, but also using one similar to a train one would normally see on Central Park West in 2002. I've seen some horrible examples of movies depicting the subway system. That scene in Knowing is the first that comes to mind (look it up on YouTube).

Don't get your underwear all up in knots over things most viewers wouldn't give two shits about.

'70s style service sign at Times Sq-42 St.