BVEStation

Author Topic: Railfan Harassment at Northport LIRR  (Read 6279 times)

Offline Fan Railer

• Global Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • Train Developer
    • View Profile
    • Fan Railer's YouTube Channel
Railfan Harassment at Northport LIRR
« on: August 14, 2014, 11:13:25 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HDIeH6b4lg#
If you can, watch this on YouTube and read the description; it provides more context to the actual situation.

Offline Simon

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member / Community Critic
    • View Profile
Re: Railfan Harassment at Northport LIRR
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 11:20:08 pm »
You may want to change the title of your video. The "white trash" label is unnecessary. Just leaving it as ignorant man would be a more professional way to handle things.
Kawasaki_Plant

Offline Fan Railer

• Global Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • Train Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 11:38:04 pm »
You may want to change the title of your video. The "white trash" label is unnecessary. Just leaving it as ignorant man would be a more professional way to handle things.
I agree... The label is my way to vent a little bit for the time being. I'll probably edit that back out by tomorrow.

Offline WestEndMan

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 04:10:53 pm »
I'm not going to get into an argument about it, but as far as your comment about "People think they're entitled around here" is sort of ignorant. As a person who lives on Eastern L.I., its not about entitlement. People around there see the same ppl everyday, in and around town, on the platforms, parking areas & so on. Maybe the guy was an a-hole, maybe not. When theres something not of the normal (someone filming trains), then yeah, people are gonna call it out.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 04:12:27 pm by WestEndMan »

Offline Fan Railer

• Global Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • Train Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 08:09:12 pm »
I'm not going to get into an argument about it, but as far as your comment about "People think they're entitled around here" is sort of ignorant. As a person who lives on Eastern L.I., its not about entitlement. People around there see the same ppl everyday, in and around town, on the platforms, parking areas & so on. Maybe the guy was an a-hole, maybe not. When theres something not of the normal (someone filming trains), then yeah, people are gonna call it out.
Fair point. As you can tell, in the heat of the situation, I was generalizing, which I will admit that in hindsight of 99% of situations, is never a proper thing to do. Of course there are plenty of decent people out in eastern LI, but in that moment, the actions of this guy don't exactly portray a good image of the makeup of the community.

Then again, I would point out that there is a fair amount of difference between simply calling someone out on something and calling someone "a fucking terrorist," walking away, AND THEN coming back to be a huge ass about it. In that perspective, I do not believe I was completely out of line in regards to my eventual verbal reaction.