BVEStation

Author Topic: OpenBVE RANSOM WARE VIRUS WARNING  (Read 5408 times)

Offline tf51d

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
OpenBVE RANSOM WARE VIRUS WARNING
« on: June 14, 2017, 07:28:37 pm »
I started having issues with my current OpenBVE installation so I decided to get a fresh copy from the Download section. There are 2 (Windows) The pinned 1.504 version and the one marked stable. I downloaded both. The 1.504 version actually came up 1.430 while the version marked Stable came up 1.20. (I think I did this with the 1.504 version since it was the later version though it could have been the 1.2 and may actually effect both.) Thinking there may be a later version available I clicked on the "Visit Official Web Page link on OpenBVE's GUI. Big mistake, it took me to a site that claimed both visually and audibly to be downloading a virus that would lock my computer and I needed to call a number to release. Immediately I shut my system down as it was displaying a authorization login I couldn't clear. Luckily the system booted normally again, I ran a virus scan and it showed clear, I cleared all my cache and temp files, so I think I got it in time. as there are no negative effects I can detect andf virus and malware scans show clean. So I just wanted to warn people DO NOT CLICK ON THAT LINK (Emphasis intended). Like I said it could just be that version or both (Maybe all OpenBVE versions, if that link which was later taken over by a malware site.)

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
Re: OpenBVE RANSOM WARE VIRUS WARNING
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 09:43:20 am »
I took a look at the issue, and the website that the program links to the old openBVE website that took over the project when michelle left. Obviously, the site was taken over by malware, which is why all that sh*t popped up.

This is something that I could easily patch in two seconds, but unfortunately I don't have the source code for this specific version. Unfortunately, that means we might just have to remove it from the Downloads section. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Offline Smooth23

• Conductor
  • Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Re: OpenBVE RANSOM WARE VIRUS WARNING
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 01:37:25 am »
my openbve wont even let a route start up anymore and i wanted to try out the new A train to Far Rockaway but i cant because of this im guessing we can get this fixed