BVEStation

Author Topic: (WIP) Official Update Thread for the R44  (Read 178449 times)

Offline bve

• Dispatcher
  • OMSI anyone?
    • View Profile
Re: (WIP) Official Update Thread for the R44
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2011, 06:27:31 pm »
This train looks awsome, it just needs to hurry up!
Its called Patience...
That I don't have... :o

You'll have to wait regardless devolopers can't rush just because you want them to :P
Favorite LFS Powertrain: Cummins ISL 9 EPA10
                                        Allison WB-400R Gen IV
Favorite CNG/Diesel Engine: Detroit Diesel Series 50

Favorite Transmission Make: Allison Transmission

Offline Fox-179

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2011, 06:52:02 pm »
Its called Patience...

You'll have to wait regardless devolopers can't rush just because you want them to :P
They can but they'll ask for you to work their job,pay their rent and bills,buy food and stuff laundry and then they get to sit back relax and code all day.I would say that if I was developing and someone rushed me.(Pay my bills,do my work etc.) But I want my tax money.

Offline Simon

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member / Community Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2011, 07:07:52 pm »
There is a new Exterior in the works, so that exterior is not final

That's good news. Will there be the correct gap dimensions on the train for the car structure.
Kawasaki_Plant

Offline Bombardier01800

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
    • View Profile
    • MBTA and NJT Transit Forums
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2011, 08:28:28 pm »
Its called Patience...

They can but they'll ask for you to work their job,pay their rent and bills,buy food and stuff laundry and then they get to sit back relax and code all day.I would say that if I was developing and someone rushed me.(Pay my bills,do my work etc.) But I want my tax money.
Words from Joe lol... However, I do agree
Jose
BVEStation Administrator

Offline Fox-179

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2011, 08:42:00 pm »
Its called Patience...

Words from Joe lol... However, I do agree
LOL I don't blame him.

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
  • 7 Years of Developing for openBVE!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2011, 12:23:19 am »
Yeah the fact of the matter is that to get this content for free from people who volunteer their time is a blessing and not something to take for granted. You never know what you have once it is gone....

Offline zerobeats2000

• Developer
  • New Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2011, 03:49:24 am »

I'm curious as well. I hope this will feature whirrling motors!

By the way, I'm concerned with the exterior. The undercar seems way too small in comparison with the rest of the carbody itself. The wheels and the axel seem way too small!
The doors also seem to hug the edges of the train far too much, when there should be a small gap between the edges of the window and the edge of the train. The door image used as the animated object also stands out with the rest of the car. Seems more like an R160 door instead of an R44.

But great work nevertheless! The panel looks great!

MY COMMENTS ARE TO BE VIEWED AS CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM!

The only modification done under the body was cleaning up the black graphics and make the axels and boxes "appear", then adding and aligning the wheels Andrew sent me.  So under the body remained untouched other than graphics cleaning.

This is the same wheels and axles on a side angle.  Is that looking better?

@ Shawn1995, this train is under construction. 

Offline BStyles

• Head Admin
  • Operator
  • The CEO
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2011, 12:47:03 pm »
@Simon: There is a fine line between constructive criticism and nitpicking. I'd tell you what side you're on already, but after four years I think you know that by now.

3D-ing the underbody does not mean making the wheels 3D. It means actually going under there and making every separate box for all of the hanging equipment, and placing both 3D axles and wheels, and trucks. The underbody can be part of the side texture, just as long as all the dark areas around the equipment is transparent.

BStyles

Offline Simon

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member / Community Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2011, 04:32:43 pm »
3D-ing the underbody does not mean making the wheels 3D. It means actually going under there and making every separate box for all of the hanging equipment, and placing both 3D axles and wheels, and trucks. The underbody can be part of the side texture, just as long as all the dark areas around the equipment is transparent.

I believe there's a misunderstanding. I could care less about 3D-ing the underbody or the wheels, but it looks like they're going to add a bit more detail to the axles which is a great thing.

What I'm concerned about is the PROPORTION between the car structure itself and everything else below that point. From the given visuals, it looks like the R46 has the same problem as the R160, the car structure will not align correctly with the platform. The underbody seems too small height wise, and as a result, the doors will sink below the platform. There is a fix to this if you modify the texture and make the underbody a bit larger to avoid this problem, however, with the introduction of a more detailed axle, I don't know how easy it will be to fix it now.
Kawasaki_Plant

Offline Fox-179

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2011, 04:44:58 pm »
Since you guys are talking about the axel/wheel/trucks or whatever why not use the ones made for the R-62/A? To me all SMEE trucks look the same(Redbirds to the 68's) not sure about Pre-Redbird trains but the trucks all look similar they may not be the or look the same but they're very alike.

Offline Gong Gahou

• Operator
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2011, 05:12:23 pm »
Since you guys are talking about the axel/wheel/trucks or whatever why not use the ones made for the R-62/A? To me all SMEE trucks look the same(Redbirds to the 68's) not sure about Pre-Redbird trains but the trucks all look similar they may not be the or look the same but they're very alike.
I assure you, there are differences that are not minute but very obvious. You determine whether one is a truck from the IRT or the IND/BMT that way.
Previously known as pjiang6211

Offline Fox-179

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2011, 05:19:27 pm »
I assure you, there are differences that are not minute but very obvious. You determine whether one is a truck from the IRT or the IND/BMT that way.
Ok b\c many R-32's and 42's have trucks from the R-29's and other Redbirds on them.I really don't see a big difference in the SMEE trucks which is why I bought up the idea of using the ones from the 62/A.
Freshly SMS'ed R-62A: http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?113555
R-44 Truck: http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?80124
theres really not much of a difference.Maybe the length of the truck.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 05:25:21 pm by <4> Express »

Offline Gong Gahou

• Operator
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2011, 05:37:17 pm »
Ok b\c many R-32's and 42's have trucks from the R-29's and other Redbirds on them.I really don't see a big difference in the SMEE trucks which is why I bought up the idea of using the ones from the 62/A.
Hmm, IRT SMEE trucks are compatible with IND/BMT cars? I would think that the IRT SMEE trucks and the IND/BMT SMEE trucks would be interchanged with their respective classes, otherwise that wouldn't explain some changes that I would see if your explanation is true. I would think the R32 and the R42 trucks came from either new ones or from the R27/R30/R30A.

When you compare the trucks from the R32 and the R42 to the rest of the existing SMEE fleet then there should be obvious differences, if you look closely. I highly doubt there is a change in length though.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 07:55:31 pm by Gong Gahou »
Previously known as pjiang6211

Offline BStyles

• Head Admin
  • Operator
  • The CEO
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2011, 07:21:30 pm »

I believe there's a misunderstanding. I could care less about 3D-ing the underbody or the wheels, but it looks like they're going to add a bit more detail to the axles which is a great thing.

What I'm concerned about is the PROPORTION between the car structure itself and everything else below that point. From the given visuals, it looks like the R46 has the same problem as the R160, the car structure will not align correctly with the platform. The underbody seems too small height wise, and as a result, the doors will sink below the platform. There is a fix to this if you modify the texture and make the underbody a bit larger to avoid this problem, however, with the introduction of a more detailed axle, I don't know how easy it will be to fix it now.

See, this is why I encourage you to get into developing, because everything you just said was redundant.

If the underbody had been 3D, like I just said, then its proportions would have been just right. The reason for that is because the wheels are needed to be visible, so the vertices of the faces that are textures are applied to are raised a bit, creating the small underbody problem(which in actuality, raises the entire side texture which is never really separated from the underbody, and makes the doors higher than the platform), which is another reason why they should be 3D objects(I did the same thing with the first version of the R62, so I should know).

Gong Gahou is right though. I just skimmed through my texture library for a moment, and noticed the small differences in the truck textures. but that is very small, and I can swap out the R62 truck textures with that of the other SMEEs at any time, depending on the model(since the entire truck model is made primarily out of textures). I'll see about converting them sometime.

BStyles

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
  • 7 Years of Developing for openBVE!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2011, 09:01:23 pm »
Freshly SMS'ed R-62A: http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?113555
R-44 Truck: http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?80124
theres really not much of a difference.Maybe the length of the truck.
Dude there is no way that is true. On the IRT trucks the emergency brake triggers for the tripcocks are not on the same side as on the BMT/IND trucks, rendering them non-interchangeable.