BVEStation

Author Topic: TRACK TRASH  (Read 9188 times)

Offline Dr. Subway18

• Operator
  • proud 1999 Kenworth W900B owner(NTC cummins, 10sp)
    • View Profile
TRACK TRASH
« on: January 28, 2012, 11:48:15 pm »
LOL ik this is a weird topic but cant we add trash to the station track? like old metrocards,cds, flat cups, ect.? it would make it look more life like. just a thought

Offline SubwayTrainOperator5

• Dispatcher
  • R44, R46, and R68 fan / OpenBVE Videomaker
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: TRACK TRASH
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 11:36:29 pm »
It is actually very possible and easy, all you have to do is take a picture of a garbage-covered track and use it as a texture.
Signature Removed (dead link)

Offline peacemak3r

• Dispatcher
  • NYCTF
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 07:47:51 am »
I would assume the developers don't incorporate trash on the platforms or tracks to promote "No littering" and such.

Offline Dr. Subway18

• Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 07:29:00 pm »
I would assume the developers don't incorporate trash on the platforms or tracks to promote "No littering" and such.
Yes I'm sure people know don't litter but when making a photorealistic route at least show it for what it really looks like you know it was just an idea. JW how would you get a good shot of the tracks from above? Id like to take one next time i visit NY and put it in the content spot for developers

Offline BStyles

• Head Admin
  • Operator
  • The CEO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 12:39:29 pm »
Adding trash to routes does not contribute to photorealism. Never has. It contributes to the failure of the average person to throw something away, and whether the route is fictional or not, it degrades the city itself. No other route/route developer in the world does this and it's possibly because of this reason. It would be a PITA to put trash all over the route (which it does occupy, in real life).

BStyles

Offline error46146

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
    • Photography by me.
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 02:23:38 pm »
Adding trash on the tracks is a bit too much imo, that would kill the frame rate on the route..it's nice to have detail but too much detail is bad as that will limit the amount of people who can actually run the route smoothly on their computers.

If you just so happen to have trash on the tracks in your track texture than thats fine; however deliberately adding it on the computer is extra work that doesn't need to be done lol

Offline Dr. Subway18

• Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 02:53:32 pm »
but would it decrease FPS even if it wasnt 3d? just edited the track texture with a reskin
?
and if i did make one with good framerate, could i upload it in the objects section?

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 10:08:24 pm »
There's a difference between realism and just too much.  Adding trash is just a bit too much.  We want to present our Subway System in a state that is at its best, what an embarrassment to tell the world how dirty our subway system is that we glorify it by making sure our routes have trash in them as well.  We are creating stuff for a train simulator, not a "what happens when something doesn't get cleaned" simulator.
BVEStation.

Offline Dr. Subway18

• Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 10:16:09 pm »
There's a difference between realism and just too much.  Adding trash is just a bit too much.  We want to present our Subway System in a state that is at its best, what an embarrassment to tell the world how dirty our subway system is that we glorify it by making sure our routes have trash in them as well.  We are creating stuff for a train simulator, not a "what happens when something doesn't get cleaned" simulator.
yeah true. but it would make it look good., but not even all trash just the dust that covers it. but ok    :(

Offline error46146

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
    • Photography by me.
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 11:42:19 pm »
but would it decrease FPS even if it wasnt 3d? just edited the track texture with a reskin
?
and if i did make one with good framerate, could i upload it in the objects section?

Sometimes if the texture is too large it can cause problems in loading and gameplay on some lower-end computers.

Offline nelson3001

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 11:57:35 am »
?

Sometimes if the texture is too large it can cause problems in loading and gameplay on some lower-end computers.
I think he meant keeping the same size of the textures (pixels) but just modifying them. Sorta like i'm doing with the R32 panel. I think it's a nice idea to have trash in the route but not too much because in reality I really don't see much trash when I ride the trains and that's about 10 times a week (only including the daily commute to school)

Offline Dr. Subway18

• Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 12:03:56 pm »
?

I think he meant keeping the same size of the textures (pixels) but just modifying them. Sorta like i'm doing with the R32 panel. I think it's a nice idea to have trash in the route but not too much because in reality I really don't see much trash when I ride the trains and that's about 10 times a week (only including the daily commute to school)
yeah just mod the texture. and when i mean track trash i didnt mean a trash bag of garbage just little things, bubble gum paper, shoe string, water texture ect. nothing to say "hey im nyc subway and im dirty". i was born and raised in NYC but even though i moved i still wanna see the subway clean and not full of trash like every one of you.

Offline Phantom909

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 01:43:34 pm »
?

the problem is that the same trash would repeat every 25 meters. it would not look realistic seeing the same m&m wrapper, coke can, daily news etc etc etc every 25 meters.

joe

Offline Dr. Subway18

• Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 02:39:03 pm »
?

the problem is that the same trash would repeat every 25 meters. it would not look realistic seeing the same m&m wrapper, coke can, daily news etc etc etc every 25 meters.

joe
yeah now that would just be flat out annoying