BVEStation

Author Topic: trains to be covered in ads  (Read 8003 times)

Offline Andres

• Conductor
  • 3rd Avenue El Is the stuff.
    • View Profile
trains to be covered in ads
« on: April 04, 2011, 10:43:38 am »
i think its just wrong for the mta to take the nice looking r142 silver paint scheme and turn it into a colorful train with colors that dont even match the system. i mean why cant the mta paint them back into the famous paint schemes of the 60's why paint them in iswatch. an entire train covered in ads for a single product. they dont even give variety like every single train car with diffrent types of ads but nooooo... they want to do the entire train in one ad it makes me sick.

they do not give variety an entire train wasted on one single ad it just makes me sick.  >:( >:(

Offline Fox-179

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
Re: trains to be covered in ads
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 11:20:08 am »
By advertising they're getting more money and our trains aren't painted anymore except for SMS on the face of the non-stainless steel part of the train.
I personally think its cool but there needs to be more ads instead of wrapping them up on the (6).One set had the Target Ad over the Summer and people loved it many said it looks like a "Redbird" which I'm sure bought back memories for buffs.

Offline bve

• Dispatcher
  • OMSI anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 03:20:04 pm »
That's actually not paint. Those are decals you get custom made from a printshop.
Favorite LFS Powertrain: Cummins ISL 9 EPA10
                                        Allison WB-400R Gen IV
Favorite CNG/Diesel Engine: Detroit Diesel Series 50

Favorite Transmission Make: Allison Transmission

Offline Fox-179

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 03:24:07 pm »
In other words think of it as a sticker.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 04:53:50 pm by <4> Express »

Offline peacemak3r

• Dispatcher
  • NYCTF
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 04:54:05 pm »
I don't know about you, but a 10 car train with multiple ads looks retarded compared to a 10 car train with ONE specific ad.  Plus like I'm sure promoting products on subways will take loads off MTA's budget and cause them not to raise the fares.  It's a business move and they will careless to people that think it looks fugly.

And yes, they aren't even painted..they are just high-end stickers so to speak.  They just posted new American Airlines at Grand Central's Shuttle station.

Offline error46146

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
    • Photography by me.
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 05:21:28 pm »
it adds color to the train...you do realize every single train (except for the 32s 46s 62s and 68s whose days are numbered) looks the same more or less nowadays..

also yea the big thing it brings in $$$ for the MTA which is good, now lets hope the MTA spends that extra money wisely and not waste it on garbage like CTBC and ATO...

Offline Bombardier01800

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
    • View Profile
    • MBTA and NJT Transit Forums
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 05:25:58 pm »
I was about to say it about the money. These gigantic ads cost a lot, and I do mean a LOT of money. Some do look weird and even out of taste, but hey, it adds a little variation, which is always nice (at least for me).

-Jose.
Jose
BVEStation Administrator

Offline Fox-179

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 05:32:02 pm »
Last 3 postings I agree with you all.
I believe by these ads on the (6) MTA are getting about $100 Million.
Here it is right here: http://mta.info/news/stories/?story=216

Offline Gong Gahou

• Operator
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 05:53:21 pm »
I saw that train set last week and I almost had a heart attack because at first I thought it was covered in graffiti from the top down. Now that would have pissed me off. I could even imagine how angry the MTA would be since useful money would have to be wasted to remove all that.

It took me by surprise, but overall I think it looks kind of good. Better than ads pasted on windows. Plus, this R142A set reminds me of other transit systems that do not show a metallic exterior. And even if it did look ugly to many people, the only thing that matters to the MTA is that it brings them money. Considering their money problems, this would be a very good opportunity to allocate more funds.

And yes, the stainless steel cars in the New York City Transit have a body made of metal - it is not called a "silver paint scheme".
Previously known as pjiang6211

Offline Fox-179

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 05:57:35 pm »
They should spread these around other subway cars also.Its going to cost but in the end its a big $100 Million plus.I want to see how an R-32 would look b\c of their fan grill stripes it would look like a ripple effect like the potato chips(Ruffle).

Offline Gong Gahou

• Operator
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 06:06:14 pm »
If they do spread it to the entire current stock then in my opinion that will suck since the ads will cover up the metallic sides of the car and thus it'll cover up their luster. Plus, who knows how long the ads will be there - the MTA did not say when the program will end.

However, if it's all beneficial to the MTA and everything, then I guess I'll have to suck it up and accept it - it's not like I'm going to die from it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 06:08:06 pm by Gong Gahou »
Previously known as pjiang6211

Offline bve

• Dispatcher
  • OMSI anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 06:06:48 pm »
A 32 would look good wrapped, but considering how long they have on the rails it's a waste of time.
Favorite LFS Powertrain: Cummins ISL 9 EPA10
                                        Allison WB-400R Gen IV
Favorite CNG/Diesel Engine: Detroit Diesel Series 50

Favorite Transmission Make: Allison Transmission

Offline Fox-179

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 06:13:21 pm »
A 32 would look good wrapped, but considering how long they have on the rails it's a waste of time.
Not really b\c these ads usually last for a few months.And no subway car has a few months left of their lives.I'm sure they wouldn't keep an ad on a subway car for over 6 months.How long did that Target Ad last on the (6)?

Offline Bombardier01800

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
    • View Profile
    • MBTA and NJT Transit Forums
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 06:20:17 pm »
[How long did that Target Ad last on the (6)?
Not very long.
Jose
BVEStation Administrator

Offline Fox-179

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 06:30:24 pm »
[How long did that Target Ad last on the (6)?
Not very long.
About 3 months.I think it debut in July and lasted 2 to 3 months but I'm not certain.