BVEStation

Author Topic: Z Extension to Valley Stream Released  (Read 23093 times)

Offline Rayvon

• Operator
  • BVEStation Administrator
    • View Profile
Z Extension to Valley Stream Released
« on: April 25, 2011, 12:14:12 am »
JayJay has released a Z extension from Sutphin Boulevard to Valley Stream, you can download it here:
http://bvestation.com/downloadinfo.php?id=59
This is just the extension, not the full route.You'll need the A,F and Q lines for this route to run properly. In basic terms: if you can run the F, you can run this route. Enjoy!

Offline Lance

• Operator
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
Re: Z Extension to Valley Stream Released
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 09:02:02 am »
Here's a strip map of the route. Click the image for full resolution.

'70s style service sign at Times Sq-42 St.

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 10:04:35 am »
Wow,this is great :D,now when will the full route be released?? lol

Offline Fox-179

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 10:53:58 am »
Whats different about it than with the one that was in the IND Valley Stream folder? Is the stops fixed b\c the one in the folder was ALL LOCAL but we ran it as a Skip-Stop.

Offline ant2sexy4u

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 02:40:43 pm »
WHY DO PEOPLE BE SO QUCIK TO MAKE EXTENTIONS INSTEAD OF THE REAL ROUTE ITSELF! ....MAKE THE FULL ROUTE FIRST THEN DO THE FUN EXTENTION AFTER!!!!!!!!! #IMJUSTSAYIN!

Offline bve

• Dispatcher
  • OMSI anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 02:57:43 pm »
WHY DO PEOPLE BE SO QUCIK TO MAKE EXTENTIONS INSTEAD OF THE REAL ROUTE ITSELF! ....MAKE THE FULL ROUTE FIRST THEN DO THE FUN EXTENTION AFTER!!!!!!!!! #IMJUSTSAYIN!

For one real routes take TIME! People have to take time from there busy schedules and money to go out and get resources. With an extension all you do is take EXISTING objects and code them into a simple route!
Favorite LFS Powertrain: Cummins ISL 9 EPA10
                                        Allison WB-400R Gen IV
Favorite CNG/Diesel Engine: Detroit Diesel Series 50

Favorite Transmission Make: Allison Transmission

Offline Fox-179

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 03:23:37 pm »
Hey watch the caps an admin may and or WILL moderate your posts.And I believe this was a proposed plan which was made into a route.The NYCSubway system would had been way longer and more interesting if a lot didn't happen such as the great depression and wars.It COSTS $$$ that they didn't have.Ever wondered the tracks behind Jamaica Center went to? Who knows it was a proposed extension that never happened.And like bve said "real routes take TIME" of course fictional routes do also but in REAL its more ACCURATE fictional you can throw anything there.Enjoy the routes on here now there are plenty.Check out Foreign routes such as the London Underground.

Offline Lance

• Operator
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 03:59:44 pm »
@ant2sexy4u: Watch your caps. It's considered yelling.

@everyone else: Get off the kid's back. Not everyone's gonna like the route. It's called freedom of speech and he's (hopefully) just stating his opinion.

'70s style service sign at Times Sq-42 St.

Offline (SIR) North Shore Line

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 04:06:14 pm »
I understand what he's saying, it's just worded wrong. The new (Z) route is excellent but I too would rather some developers take their amazing resources that they use for fictional trains/routes and place those resources towards REAL routes and trains. (There's an animated R179 to be released soon, but no animated R160 for example!)

Offline Bombardier01800

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
    • View Profile
    • MBTA and NJT Transit Forums
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 05:57:39 pm »
Please don't post in caps, and if you look throughout the forum, you'll see this topic has been brought up plenty of times before. People like to be creative, there's nothing wrong wtih that. In fact, I believe this was based on what it would've probably looked like had the IND second system happened. Yes, we all want real routes, but you have to understand there has to be a level for things. Developers have to follow certain guidelines which makes it difficult. Also, I believe I read the Z or the J is 90% done. Correct me if I'm wrong.

-Jose.
Jose
BVEStation Administrator

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
  • 7 Years of Developing for openBVE!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 06:48:58 pm »

Regardless of all of the previous comments, there are various possible reasons for why it is like this.

Hypothetically, maybe jayjay85 could have sent the non-fictional version of the route to Joe to be polished up and assured of accuracy etc. In that spare time, why not make the proposed extension?

Just imagine having no routes at all, making BVE content isn't like trainz, it is hard, line by line coding you know..... and it is free too...  ;)

Offline Rayvon

• Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 06:50:55 pm »
The new (Z) route is excellent but I too would rather some developers take their amazing resources that they use for fictional trains/routes and place those resources towards REAL routes and trains.
Well we are, but stuff like that costs time and resources like <4> said. A fictional route is a creation of the mind, which means whatever happens is solely up to you. Speaking for myself, I can pump out a fictional route in 3 days if I wanted to, which is my plan after I finish my other routes.
I decided on just going back to the basics with my projects and using whatever I have instead of sitting here for months trying to turn everything into eye candy. Cuts down the amount of weekends I have to spend getting shots that may not come out right, the time I have to spend on nycsubway, the subwaynut and photoshop, and it saves me money.

And JayJay finished that route months ago. Last I checked he's working on 3 real routes at the same time.

Offline (SIR) North Shore Line

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 12:02:19 pm »
The new (Z) route is excellent but I too would rather some developers take their amazing resources that they use for fictional trains/routes and place those resources towards REAL routes and trains.
Well we are, but stuff like that costs time and resources like <4> said. A fictional route is a creation of the mind, which means whatever happens is solely up to you. Speaking for myself, I can pump out a fictional route in 3 days if I wanted to, which is my plan after I finish my other routes.
I decided on just going back to the basics with my projects and using whatever I have instead of sitting here for months trying to turn everything into eye candy. Cuts down the amount of weekends I have to spend getting shots that may not come out right, the time I have to spend on nycsubway, the subwaynut and photoshop, and it saves me money.

And JayJay finished that route months ago. Last I checked he's working on 3 real routes at the same time.

I fully understand that myself, even trying to create a train for BVE could take months. We should all just be thankful that there are people out there that are willing to sacrifice their free time to develop new and innovative things for BVE as it's all free to download in the end.

Offline TJay1724

• Developer
  • Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 07:21:08 pm »
I'm sorry, but I have to say this. It irks me when I hear comments like "Back to the basics or instead of eye candy". Now I don't want to sound like I'm berating anyone as everyone is right. I does take a crapload of time to make routes and trains, but that really doesn't mean we should be releasing shoddy or sub-par work. Because to be honest, some of the routes have a lot of errors and graphical errors that just should not be there. The Q is 1 example of that. Back on the old forum, all I ever heard was how the goal was to catch up to the rest of the BVE world in terms of excellence and quality, but now it sounds as if I'm hearing excuses. I do agree that it gets annoying when others constantly ask when something will be released, but come on. I have a job and a family that I must attend to and yet I still hand code everything. The route itself and the objects. Those UK developers are kicking our asses in terms of highend content and all we are doing is making excuses. If you have chosen to dedicate yourself to anything, then you put the work in. Simple as that. I take both negative and positive criticism and use that to improve on my work. I'm not saying that my work is the best. What I'm saying is that I'm not going to release sub-par work just because it takes time.

Offline Rayvon

• Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 11:15:21 pm »
When I say back to basics I don't mean creating something half-assed, I mean creating something while paying attention to detail and not just how it looks. Anything can look great, but whats the point if it isn't optimized for detail or performance? You're work is amazing Tjay, but not everyone takes the time out to really go back and pay attention to detail if it comes out looking good. That wasn't meant as criticism or a shot at anyone