BVEStation

Author Topic: CD/DVD Survey for BVE  (Read 11458 times)

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
CD/DVD Survey for BVE
« on: August 28, 2011, 05:22:07 pm »
All of you have been there before, you got a new computer and just reinstalled BVE.  What about the routes and trains?  I've faced the problem myself as it certainly is a hassle to redownload and reinstall everything.  Of course, the administrators at BVEStation try to repackage the most popular routes into easy and fast installers, and use a simple and compatible 7zip format.  Still, it takes a while, especially on people with slower connections to redownload everything.

I have gotten requests of this in the past, but the idea never really taken off.  So my question to everyone is, if there was a CD/DVD that you could buy with most if not all of the routes here on BVEStation, for a fast and simple installation, would you buy it?

Due to the nature of BVE itself and its content, we're not allowed to sell its add-ons, so you would technically be paying for the physical disk and shipping, and of course, everything on the disk would still be free to download on the website.  So its really a convenience thing.  Maybe we could have like a super package or something to download, if anybody has ideas or would like to comment on the CD/DVD idea or if you simply have any questions, feel free to post them here.

I've recently gotten a new computer, so I am most certainly facing this problem myself  ::)  Luckily this will make future site updates again more efficient and easier for me and everyone to download stuff off BVEStation.
BVEStation.

Offline Haven

• Dispatcher
  • Stand Clear Of The Closing Doors Please *DingDong*
    • View Profile
    • SEPTATransitFan's Youtube Channel Please Subscribe!!
Re: CD/DVD Survey for BVE
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 05:57:37 pm »
Yeah, and a DVD holds movies, and i dont think they can be used on computers. CD's yes. it would make it so much easier
http://www.youtube.com/user/havenas1020yt
Please Subscribe To My Youtube Channel

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 06:01:05 pm »
First, most computers these days can read DVD's, DVD's can hold data just like CD's can.

Second, are you supporting the idea to sell CD/DVD's with BVE add-on's in them?
BVEStation.

Offline Haven

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 06:18:47 pm »
yes.

Offline peacemak3r

• Dispatcher
  • NYCTF
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 06:57:38 pm »
Couldn't someone just buy a small USB (say 2GB) and just go from there?  I mean I have a couple of USB's backing up a lot of data from the rig.

Offline Fox-179

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 07:08:55 pm »
I think as a backup a USB would do the job they're fairly cheap ranging from just $5 to about lunch money USB flash drives holding 8GB for under $15 or $10 and most of the routes takes are under 100MB some exceeding that and trains under 100 so not much would be required.But a CD won't be bad.But I would agree to save hassle.

Offline Mr Railfan

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Train Developer and Route Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 07:10:18 pm »
i support the idea , but to spice it up a little , developers can put in extras like preview or betas. that will definitely get the attention of a few people .

Offline bve

• Dispatcher
  • OMSI anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 07:15:54 pm »
I like the idea. Currently I have 2 Flash Drives. 1x16GB and 1x8GB. The 16GB holds most of the downloaded trains.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 10:34:22 pm by bve »
Favorite LFS Powertrain: Cummins ISL 9 EPA10
                                        Allison WB-400R Gen IV
Favorite CNG/Diesel Engine: Detroit Diesel Series 50

Favorite Transmission Make: Allison Transmission

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 10:00:50 pm »
Putting the files on flash drives can be done too, or the files can be already on the flash drive, then shipped.  There are many things we can do really.

The idea isn't backing up, but rather a convenience for those with new computers, and slow internet connections.  Users can already backup with whatever they have.  I'm just seeing if anybody would be interested in a dedicated one that we can offer.

Putting developer previews or betas would be questionable.  Whatever on the downloads section must be on the media that we are giving away or it will violate certain terms.
BVEStation.

Offline peacemak3r

• Dispatcher
  • NYCTF
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 01:43:31 am »
In most cases with new computers, the USB to back up current files would benefit the most and would be most cost efficient being free (besides paying for a USB drive and obviously the computer.)

Now for slow connections, it really can't be helped but are the users prepared to pay for a shipping fee or any other fees along side of it?  Because honestly to my opinion, if the current content is free, then I wouldn't really pay for content to be put on a CD and have a shipping fee along side.  Personally I'd buy a USB and go to a free-wifi source or even a library or college campus computer and obtain faster internet and obtain the files from there.

Also, I'd say majority of the forum consist of younger people (Under 18,) I'd assume you would also need a parental consent to even receive money or other-wise.

But that's just my 2 cents and my opinion of how I would see it.

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 04:43:42 pm »
I like it the CD/DVD idea. A CD might not be enough to hold everything so a DVD would be best. Maybe with all the routes put in one, we can make an automatic installer which installs every route and also there would be an option on which routes you want to download. However, this would need to be constantly updated, so using DVD-RW would solve that issue instead of using DVD-R.  To you USB people:

I have:

1x 4GB USB 2.0
1x 8GB USB 2.0
1x 16 GB USB 2.0
1x WD Passport 500GB USB 3.0

I'll tell you know, using USB 2 is a pain in the ass because it's so slow. If you have a decent connection, it'll probably take you the same amount of time to download as it would to transfer using USB 2. USB 3 is very fast, but USB 2 is a pain in the ass to transfer files

r3 is right as well, Most people these days won't pay for something that is free. $3.95 at most would be the cost IMHO. Those of us with jobs here can donate some money, but I don't think the users of BVEStation can become the site's main source of income
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 04:46:13 pm by YankeesPwnMets »

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 07:29:02 pm »
Of course I had the age issue in mind.  Updating routes would become a pain if the routes were updated often enough.

I had several requests whether people could order a disk with all the content, and I had to turn them down obviously since we don't offer that.  So I just wanted to know if there is still any demand for it today.

Ubuntu offers CD/DVD versions of their OS for users who don't want to download a copy, even though the OS is freely available for download.  Thats just one organization I know that does this sort of thing, of course if nobody wants it then I'm fine with that.  Saves me lots of work lol.
BVEStation.

Offline Bombardier01800

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
    • View Profile
    • MBTA and NJT Transit Forums
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 08:38:32 pm »
Of course I had the age issue in mind.  Updating routes would become a pain if the routes were updated often enough.

I had several requests whether people could order a disk with all the content, and I had to turn them down obviously since we don't offer that.  So I just wanted to know if there is still any demand for it today.

Ubuntu offers CD/DVD versions of their OS for users who don't want to download a copy, even though the OS is freely available for download.  Thats just one organization I know that does this sort of thing, of course if nobody wants it then I'm fine with that.  Saves me lots of work lol.
Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Debian, etc
Jose
BVEStation Administrator

Offline Haven

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 06:07:35 am »
Of course I had the age issue in mind.  Updating routes would become a pain if the routes were updated often enough

we could release a CD every 6-12 months . Routes and trains kinda take long to make so 6-12 months to release a CD/

the money could also go to the site because it aint free...

Offline Rayvon

• Operator
  • BVEStation Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 04:00:02 pm »
UKTrainSim, along with a couple of other sites actually already offers this service, and unlike them we actually provide high-speed downloading for free. I'm  all for this idea, not everybody has access to a computer with internet all the time, and having a cd on hand is great instead of backing up a bunch of archives on a flash drive you use every day. I used to do that and it gets confusing. It would be good if we can implement a autorun GUI and stuff to make installing and navigating the CD easier too. And of course we can distance ourselves with the age thing by adding in a disclaimer, kids are supposed to be surfing the net with parental supervision anyways.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 04:01:50 pm by Rayvon »