BVEStation

Author Topic: What I recently discovered...might help people  (Read 13812 times)

Offline [CT1660]

• Dispatcher
  • openBVE Developer, OMSI Repainter & Engine Modder
    • View Profile
    • Enter The Lair
Re: What I recently discovered...might help people
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 10:25:38 am »
The problem is that openBVE uses immediate mode to render the objects and graphics, as has been observed in the source code. While mudwrestle and i are looking to resolve this issue to optimize for performance, for now, openBVE relies mostly on the graphics processing unit (GPU = Graphics Card) until we resolve this issue.

Offline r160bve

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 05:14:34 pm »
So im guessing that the integrated graphics was holding me back? Since I now get much better fps.....?
Check out my YouTube channel:
www.youtube.com/csx8851

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 05:26:44 pm »
(somewhat newish here, but been following this community for quite some time)
Hmm... The R46 only reaches 15fps here, even while I have a custom built system with an i5-3450, 8GB ram and an AMD Radeon HD7850, with up-to-date graphics drivers... And the i7 is usually overkill unless you're into raytracing and that sort of thing.
Yeap, I have a 3570K and a 7850 and the R46 doesn't run properly either. Its either an optimization issue with openBVE itself or crap drivers. Don't know which, though. Since michelle has left there has only been 1 update to openBVE..

Offline peacemak3r

• Dispatcher
  • NYCTF
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 06:00:02 pm »
So im guessing that the integrated graphics was holding me back? Since I now get much better fps.....?

An expansion card would always be better then the integrated unless the expansion card is older then the integrated system, per say.

(somewhat newish here, but been following this community for quite some time)
Hmm... The R46 only reaches 15fps here, even while I have a custom built system with an i5-3450, 8GB ram and an AMD Radeon HD7850, with up-to-date graphics drivers... And the i7 is usually overkill unless you're into raytracing and that sort of thing.

How is it my laptop has slightly lower specs then your custom build, yet I have a higher FPS rate then you with the R46 on exterior.

I'm running an i5-2430M, 8GB RAM and GT 525M ;; I have double the fps you have with the R46 in exterior mode.  That's even with another game running in the background.

Offline Drag0nflamez

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 07:35:05 pm »
An expansion card would always be better then the integrated unless the expansion card is older then the integrated system, per say.

How is it my laptop has slightly lower specs then your custom build, yet I have a higher FPS rate then you with the R46 on exterior.

I'm running an i5-2430M, 8GB RAM and GT 525M ;; I have double the fps you have with the R46 in exterior mode.  That's even with another game running in the background.
So it's clearly an AMD only issue, so either requires AMD to make a new driver (how are we're going to notify them anyway) or a renderer update for OpenBVE... (of which I hope odakyufan will quickly integrate in his codebase)

@CT1660 and Mudwrestle (indirectly): good luck!

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 10:42:54 pm »
I knew I should have waited for a GTX 660..

Well with crap experience with every other AMD device I've owned dating back to 2005 I don't think I'll be buying AMD stuff anymore. First it was a failed graphics chip in a laptop, second it was an insane amount of BSODs with drivers in another laptop and now a 7850 has trouble handling a low-demanding program like openBVE. How pathetic.  Intel and nVidia the rest of the way on for me
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 10:44:57 pm by YankeesPwnMets »

Offline BStyles

• Head Admin
  • Operator
  • The CEO
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 06:58:05 am »
Ever since AMD absorbed ATI it's been a completely different company, but the fact remains that OpenBVE was built to optimize its performance on the AMD processor, which was built for mostly gaming, rather than multimedia, like Intel. Besides, regardless of the graphics card or processor, the fact remains that OpenBVE draws all of its rendering capability directly from the GPU, whereas other simulators(and video games) are integrated to the system and utilize DirectX, and/or OpenGL, so it actually demands more than what you all think, but in the very weak areas where the system can't offer it. In order to improve capability and maximize development, this one hurdle must be overcome so that we expand the limits of our projects.

BStyles
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 07:05:16 am by BStyles »

Offline r160bve

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 11:37:33 am »
Truely correct  :D
Check out my YouTube channel:
www.youtube.com/csx8851