BVEStation

Author Topic: OpenBVE Lives On.  (Read 26245 times)

Offline coneyislandDFNQ

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Route & Object Developer
    • View Profile
Re: OpenBVE Lives On.
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 07:40:20 pm »
First off I am wondering if any of you guys have captured the source file.  Since trainsimframework.org is now offline, we need to put the files back online first.

Nevermind, see the homepage for the latest news.

Pac, if you can send me a message on Facebook or give me a call. I have an idea to propose to you. But in the mean time. I wanna make a general statement that this is a wonderful oppurtunity and I want this thread to stay clean and at the same time we get some good input. I would like people interested to see us on the Teamspeak server where we will plan and start work. We may be a young site but lets see what we can do here in the US. You know other sites will not be holding back as they already have skilled developers. I am really stressing that if you guys are truly serious, that you provide an exuburant amount of input. Thanks and let's do this!!!!!

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
  • 7 Years of Developing for openBVE!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
OpenBVE Lives On - New Website
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 06:35:01 pm »
Thanks to the efforts of many, a new OpenBVE website has been put up, including nearly all of the features from the old site!

Link: www.openbve.org

Offline Dr. Subway18

• Operator
  • proud 1999 Kenworth W900B owner(NTC cummins, 10sp)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 12:13:12 pm »
Thank you everyone who was involved in the making of this site, its VERY easy to navigate and looks amazing.

Offline graymac

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
    • graymac's Irish trainsim site
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 05:49:01 pm »
Excellent work, guys. OpenBVE will continue because of the enthusiasm of all involved, both past and present. It's business as usual in Ireland at www.celtictrainsim.com

A new 50km addition to the Ballyfeckin routes will be released later this year. You can also follow celtictrainsim on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtictrainsim/219222831500959
Visit celtictrainsim.com Home of the Ballyfeckin and Waterville Railway

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
OpenBVE.org update
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2012, 10:59:53 pm »
A new downloads page has been implemented on OpenBVE.org, which includes an auto-installer for OpenBVE on the Mac thanks to the efforts of CT1660!

Link: http://www.openbve.org/Download

Offline ???????????????

• Regular Developer
  • Supervisor
  • ??????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 11:51:05 pm »
yay *JUMP*  ;D

Offline joeyfjj

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
    • http://openbve.joeyfoo.com
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 04:32:08 pm »
...at the very least, shouldn't there be a link to odakyufan.zxq.net/openbve on the openbve.org website??

Offline [CT1660]

• Dispatcher
  • openBVE Developer, OMSI Repainter & Engine Modder
    • View Profile
    • Enter The Lair
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 09:15:23 pm »
We're still working on the links, which would also include odakyufan's page.

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 09:55:18 pm »
Yes a link will be created.

There needs to be a discussion over whether or not somebody "owns" OpenBVE, because the way that several people are acting is almost as if OpenBVE is really freeware instead of in the public domain.

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2012, 12:07:10 pm »
Its a rather confusing issue, which can easily be solved using a repository like github.  If OpenBVE was put on a repository before, it would be easy to distinguish the original version and a forked version of the project.  Not to mention nothing would've been lost in the process, and there would've been no need to scramble around to try to buy up domains just to get the file hosted online again.

It would also be a million times easier to fork the project, and collaborate with other developers, who wish to work on the project, this is all through the source code versioning system allowing teams to easily create code changes and see what was done, but of course, at this stage, I'm still trying to convince people who will be willing to do this, as placing it on a source code versioning system like github, it will allow OpenBVE to retain its Open Source visions by providing a public location where everyone can view its source code, allow anyone and everyone to contribute or freely fork the project, and provide the security of a independent service (that is unlikely to go down) allowing anyone to download it.

As far as my opinions on OpenBVE.org (remember that BVEStation Administration DOES NOT own it), because it is not assumed to be the original version of OpenBVE, while at the same time it has the name of the official name of the site.  The original developer should be the one holding the site, and I'm sure its frustrating for them to have to deal with it, even if the project is in public domain.  That should be simply in respect of the original developer.
Also since the original developer michelle is now dead/gone putting her roadmap is something that nobody cares about at this point.  I'm sure the community has different goals and requests.  Rather the roadmap should be a collaborative effort of the community and it should be what the community wants and where everyone wants the project to move forward in.  This really brings in the public domain and openness of the project.  There's no need for a developer blog either, we have enough forums, and github's version control will force (kinda) you to comment on every change you make, this makes it easy to create change logs and all the other goodies you'd want from a blog, not to mention make it easy to download older versions of the project, track bugs, etc.

Ok, so to summarize, we need to get this project on some type of source code versioning system, github, source forge, etc.  We should respect the original authors despite the project being in public domain and thats my 2 cents.

BVEStation.

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2012, 04:51:11 pm »
OpenBVE will be put on github pending POSSIBLE further development of the program if Odakyufan does not return to the community (which judging by an ongoing, more than 2 week absence from the community seems to be growing more likely)

Offline coneyislandDFNQ

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2012, 10:52:55 am »
Kevin I'll give you 5 cents if you make that whole thesis statement shorter so I can understand lol

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2012, 03:58:03 pm »
My views on that sort've changed.

But what I said was to get OpenBVE on a source code versioning system and we should respect the original developer.
BVEStation.

Offline coneyislandDFNQ

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2012, 05:45:00 pm »
My views on that sort've changed.

But what I said was to get OpenBVE on a source code versioning system and we should respect the original developer.

Lol I'm joking but yeah I know what you mean.