BVEStation

Author Topic: Download BVE Routes in external hard drive?  (Read 3355 times)

Download BVE Routes in external hard drive?
« on: December 05, 2012, 03:54:30 pm »
I've had bad luck with my internal hard drive lately. I had to buy one 3 TIMES ALREADY. My laptop recently came back home from repair and I have an external hard drive with OpenBve in it already. This time, I plan to put the BVE Routes I download into the external HD to keep my internal one as clean as I can. Is it okay to do that? Will I not have problems with my internal HD anymore?

Offline HijauKuda

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
Re: Download BVE Routes in external hard drive?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 04:30:15 pm »
Is this right; your theory is install OpenBVE on an external hard drive so you'll never have an internal hard drive failure again?
Along that same line of logic, if I don't drive my car and drive my neighbor's car instead, my car will never get into an accident, will suffer much less wear, will last much longer, and maintenance will be near $0.  Just wish my neighbor would agree to this arrangement.  ;) 

Sounds like a more serious problem with your PC hardware &/or operating system.  I've got three PCs, ages 3 years to 15 years, with 7 hard drives amoungst them; never had a hard drive failure one.  I do run scheduled maintenance (defrag, antivirus, crap cleaner, reboot etc) each night.
An external HD will give you the ability to store/backup critical files and conveniently move them to another PC, if your internal HD fails again.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 04:47:53 pm by HijauKuda »

Re: Download BVE Routes in external hard drive?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 05:16:17 pm »
I used this external hard drive for 2 years and never failed. I'll think I'll stick with leaving it there.