BVEStation

Author Topic: BMT A/B Standard [OpenBVE] - Official Thread  (Read 18532 times)

Offline Mr Railfan

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Train Developer and Route Developer
    • View Profile
BMT A/B Standard [OpenBVE] - Official Thread
« on: February 01, 2011, 04:23:10 pm »
i would like to inform you guys that i have begun work on the BMT A/B Standard ,also known as the BMT STD. This project will be delayed because of my work on the r30 and the r62a . After thats done im going do be helping out a few other developers with their projects . So after all of that is completed, i will focus my attention on this . I already have a beta exterior set up and i will be going to the Transit museum this week to get additional textures. the cab will also be photo-realistic [as always 8)] . i also have all the sounds for the project that i need. I will post additional updates and preview pictures in this thread. hope you guys can endure the wait  !

Offline Bombardier01800

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
    • View Profile
    • MBTA and NJT Transit Forums
Re: BMT A/B Standard [OpenBVE] - Official Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 08:41:12 pm »
Nice!

However, I still can't keep myself from wondering where you got the sounds from lol
Jose
BVEStation Administrator

Offline Andrew

• New Recruit
  • Mets fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 11:08:04 pm »
Nice!

However, I still can't keep myself from wondering where you got the sounds from lol

There's always MTH Electric trains. They made a BMT Standard that has realistic sounds. Also he could get permission from the creator of the R-1.

Offline Bombardier01800

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 11:10:51 pm »
Nice!

There's always MTH Electric trains. They made a BMT Standard that has realistic sounds. Also he could get permission from the creator of the R-1.
Damn do they really sound that similar?
Jose
BVEStation Administrator

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
  • 7 Years of Developing for openBVE!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 12:01:57 am »
yeah both have AMUE braking systems and those distinctive spur gear units that make that lovely groaning noise. However because the BMT Standard is longer than other subway cars, the run sound would have to be modified to simulate the longer distances between the trucks on each car.

Offline Bombardier01800

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 10:16:15 am »
Ah ok... Isn't this train the one that apparently is not operational because one of the trucks is an R1 truck
Jose
BVEStation Administrator

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 07:18:45 pm »
there are four BMT standards on the property. The one you are referring to is the one in the Transit Museum. It has been cosmetically restored but it can't run under it's own power because one of it's trucks is from an R9.

The other 3 are at Coney Island yard and were being fully restored to operational status, although I don't know if the restoration has been canceled or not due to budget cuts.

Offline Mr Railfan

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 09:03:26 pm »
Nice!

Damn do they really sound that similar?

well there is this guy on youtube who filmed the BMT D type Triplex fan trip and that was made around the same time as the BMT Standards although they are technically newer by a few years . Like hammers said they have very similar Gear and motor sounds [Loud groaning noise as they speed up] . Most of the early train models [R1-R9] [IRT Lo-v's] and many BMT trains had theses motor sounds .

Personally i think that these older cars have a better propulsion sound then these newer modeled trains [R142-R160]

BTW heres the video [PART 1] of the D type triplex fan trip [Please note this is not my video]
NYC BMT Triplex Trip Part 1-01

Offline Fox-179

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 09:13:41 pm »
The other 3 are at Coney Island yard and were being fully restored to operational status, although I don't know if the restoration has been canceled or not due to budget cuts.
Yep but restoration has been stopped due to the Winter season since they're not Stainless steel it makes no sense of repainting when weather will affect the cars look.Umm...I'm hearing they want2 do a fantrip this Summer or later in the year with some other car types but I don't want to ruin the surprise if there's a surprise.Also you can volunteer to work on subway cars(repaint etc) but they'll most likely assign people instead of them self picking.

Offline Mr Railfan

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 09:18:40 pm »
Yep but restoration has been stopped due to the Winter season since they're not Stainless steel it makes no sense of repainting when weather will affect the cars look.Umm...I'm hearing they want2 do a fantrip this Summer or later in the year with some other car types but I don't want to ruin the surprise if there's a surprise.Also you can volunteer to work on subway cars(repaint etc) but they'll most likely assign people instead of them self picking.
you can actually see the standards when you pass by on the F if you look towards the yard . They are painted a grimy red and the paints falling off . It looks like a legit 90 year old train lolz . This summer they are probably going to do their regular R1-R9 fan trip [which im going on for sure if they do do it ;D] .

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 09:55:54 pm »
since they're not Stainless steel it makes no sense of repainting when weather will affect the cars look.
Actually body paint serves not only a cosmetic purpose, it also protects the car shell itself from rust and other issues. Normally the paint does little but it does prevent humid and salty air from causing corrosion to otherwise exposed parts of the car.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 11:28:22 pm by Dj Hammers »

Offline Bombardier01800

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 09:59:48 pm »
After doing some reading, the Railway Preservation Corp (if I got the name right) owns those in restoration
Jose
BVEStation Administrator

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 10:13:48 pm »
yeah jose you got it its Railway Preservation Corp.

IIRC RPC received some cars from the TA because the TA was intent on scrapping them back in the 70s-80s.

Offline peacemak3r

• Dispatcher
  • NYCTF
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 10:44:06 pm »
Actually body paint serves not only a cosmetic purpose, it also protects the car shell itself from rust and other issues.

I believe this applies to trains only because this certainly does not apply to older model cars.

Offline Rayvon

• Operator
  • BVEStation Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 02:22:16 am »
yeah jose you got it its Railway Preservation Corp.

IIRC RPC received some cars from the TA because the TA was intent on scrapping them back in the 70s-80s.
Before the Transit Museum opened the TA scrapped everything, so the RPS stepped in and purchased some cars