BVE > Other Projects

TUTORIAL: Third Rail Gap for OpenBVE Trains (Interiors/Exteriors) AND Routes!

<< < (2/4) > >>

[CT1660]:
Actually, if you're around the 6th-9th car of a Manhattan-bound (7), some of the lights go off when it stops at the 111th St platform due to a gap.

Same is true for the R160A's on the (E). Some of the lights dim.

peacemak3r:
The lights dimming and HVAC turning off would have to be a feature implemented with the on-board batteries in the car itself.  It's just like one of the alternator's job of a regular car to recharge the battery while the motor is turned on.  I'd assume the on-board batteries wouldn't be able to sustain-ably keep the lights bright and HVAC on at the same time.  I'm not subway car wiz but that's what I think when relating it to a regular car.

TJay1724:
That's exactly my point. The battery is only meant to sustain the car as it crossing over the point or the gap. A lot of transit systems use this method now. I ride the 4,5,6 everyday, and I have never once seen the lights dim or the HVAC even shut off leaving the 3rd rail. Now of course if it's taking longer to reconnect, then yes, the lights will go out and the HVAC would shut off. The battery is only meant to hold for a few seconds on cross. If it's sitting in the gap, then yes, the lights would go off. But again, it is extremely rare for this to happen, thus, it wouldn't make any sense or be realistic to code this into any car after the R32 and up or any route.

[CT1660]:

--- Quote from: TJay1724 on January 15, 2012, 12:11:56 pm ---That's exactly my point. The battery is only meant to sustain the car as it crossing over the point or the gap. A lot of transit systems use this method now. I ride the 4,5,6 everyday, and I have never once seen the lights dim or the HVAC even shut off leaving the 3rd rail. Now of course if it's taking longer to reconnect, then yes, the lights will go out and the HVAC would shut off. The battery is only meant to hold for a few seconds on cross. If it's sitting in the gap, then yes, the lights would go off. But again, it is extremely rare for this to happen, thus, it wouldn't make any sense or be realistic to code this into any car after the R32 and up or any route.

--- End quote ---

Actually besides the R-16, Mr. Railfan's R-30 has this implemented. There are three more projects i am about to begin soon (which i have yet to announce, but it's in my sig). Also, if i do make the interior for DJ Hammer's TOMC, that's going to be 6 trains with this feature.

TJay1724:
That's fine. Any train prior to the R32, such as the one your working on, R1 thru R30 did not have the battery so it is great that those features will be there. The TOMC didn't have the battery b4 overhaul. Back when they were in revenue service. In the early '90's, the TOMC did get the battery as well. But as I have stated b4, since these trains are from the era of the '50's, '60's and '70's, then yes the feature should be there. Not on the NTT's though. Any old school route should also have this feature. Not present day routes though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version