BVEStation

Author Topic: New to NYCT subway  (Read 5043 times)

Offline CaptED

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
New to NYCT subway
« on: August 02, 2014, 11:12:47 am »
Hi to all Readers ...

I am new to the NYCT subway...  I wish to thank those that have build the routes and subway trains..
I have a few questions that I cannot  find a answer to...

Route Max Speed.... Mostly for F, Q & A...  ??

(Not the max speed of a specific Train (ie) R160A.)

I have read that there is no Max Speed ... But I do not believe that to be true...
I have read that Local Trains 30 MPH and Express Trains 40 MPH... Not sure if that is true......

Now after looking at the MTA Schedule of terminal times... I find that in the night they are ever 20 minutes and in the day they are every 6-8 minutes...
Total time to run F-Line is 1hr 20minutes..

So does the Engineer (MotorMan) swap ends and head the other direction... I am assuming they are  drive-able from ether end... ??

Thanks to anyone replying ...
Ed

Offline bigbellymon4

• Operator
  • Route Developer
    • View Profile
Re: New to NYCT subway
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 06:39:25 pm »
are you saying that for example you can run the train from Coney island to 179, and then back to Coney Island?

Offline CaptED

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 05:36:27 pm »
Hi,
I was actually wondering if in real life does the engineer swap ends and run a return run..

This is not in openbve..  I know this is a one way run in openbve..

I am looking for anyone that actually rides the subway and post the running speed.

Thanks
Ed

Offline Nicholas Blonski

• Operator
  • OMSI, openBVE, and Transit videomaker.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 05:50:48 pm »
Hi,
I was actually wondering if in real life does the engineer swap ends and run a return run..

I am looking for anyone that actually rides the subway and post the running speed.

Thanks
Ed

Yes they do. Depending on the line, most times they continue for a short distance beyond the last stop to what is known as a layup, where they switch ends in a safe place without disrupting train traffic. Then they drive the line in the other direction.

To avoid further confusion by this thread being created in the wrong section of this forum, can an admin please move this thread to the Transit discussion section? Thanks.
A.K.A Skinnylee2 (http://www.youtube.com/skinnylee2). I am also the fill-in guy for SubwayTrainOperator5, so I sometimes upload openBVE videos onto his channel.
Favourite engine sound: Detroit Diesel Series 50
Favourite transmission sound: Allison B400R4/5
Talk smack to me on this forum and you will be reported to a moderator. No exceptions.

Offline Fan Railer

• Global Moderator
  • Dispatcher
  • Train Developer
    • View Profile
    • Fan Railer's YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 01:18:11 am »
Hi,

Thanks
Ed

Line speed is "unlimited" unless enforced by timed signals. What you have read about "locals = 30 mph and expresses = 40 mph" is purely based on the distancing of the stations and the physical capabilities of the rolling stock. Typical express runs on un-timed track can reach 45-48 mph, while locals usually top out at 30-34 mph before you need to start braking for a station stop. The fastest section of track anywhere in the system is the 60th street tunnel which is used by the N, Q, and R trains. If you get a good operator who knows how to take the timers, your train can hit 59-60 mph. I had a great operator on the Q train two days ago going Manhattan bound, and we hit 59 mph in the tunnel.