BVEStation

Author Topic: New "old wrinkly" user  (Read 11645 times)

Offline ivatt

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
New "old wrinkly" user
« on: February 07, 2012, 11:06:46 am »
Hi, I am new to the site and also OpenBve.

I am an old wrinkly(71+) so the learning curve is a bit steep as the old grey matter doesn't take in things as quickly as it used to.

I am based in the UK.

I have used MSTS in the past but gave up a couple of years ago in order to concentrate on my N gauge layout. Only came across OpenBe by chance so thought I would have a go.

Very impressed with the program itself, especially having seen some of the YouTube footage of the City Link line with all the animated objects.

I am struggling at the moment with the procedure I need to follow to get a train moving. I'm not used to all the AWS/TPWS restrictions etc. Would be nice to have a basic train on which I could just set the forward movement, release the brakes and apply power.

Want to persevere as I think I would get a great deal of enjoyment from the program.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 11:13:31 am by ivatt »
Age is a high price to pay for maturity.

Offline Dr. Subway18

• Operator
  • proud 1999 Kenworth W900B owner(NTC cummins, 10sp)
    • View Profile
Re: New "old wrinkly" user
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 01:12:57 pm »
for a combinded handle use Q to apply brakes, A to coast, and Z to apply power. if the train has 2 handles Like a freight train use  <  and > for the brake controls and A and Z for the throttle.   Use F to put in drive and V for reverse.  ;)

Offline ivatt

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 03:28:18 am »
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have a list of all the basic controls and understand the principle but on a number of the trains I have attempted to run despite releasing  brakes, setting forward motion and applying power the train just sits there.

I only run UK trains so don't don't if there are differences with US style locos in releasing ATS/TPWS before moving off. Also, some of the routes show the countdown before departing the platform.

The only train I've had real success with at the moment is the first generation DMU from the BVE Traction Maintenance Depot site where I was able to print off a full drivers guide.

I've looked in the install folders to see if there is a drivers guide for the specific loco I want to use but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm going to use the 1st Generation guide as my "bible" for the time being and hope it gives me more success but obviously it wont' be any use for diesels where there is the extra requirement to start the motor (assuming it's not running when the route is loaded).

I am also looking for help in getting my Logitech Attack 3 joystick setup. The first attempt was a failure as the buttons didn't do anything despite following the customise control screen.

I'm sure I'll get there in the end but it's frustrating at the moment.

Offline Dr. Subway18

• Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 12:27:01 pm »
there might be some differences, did you try a UK rail sim forum? I hate to say it but i have little experience for the uk railroads or lines. im sorry.
but ill look for you if you dont find it before i do  ;)

Offline Simon

• Conductor
  • BVEStation Member / Community Critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 07:33:13 pm »
Welcome to the forums, ivatt. As for the UK trains, I've  had some experience with them in openBVE. They have a complex safety system set up which requires you to set up pantographs, release the brakes, and to turn off safety protocols. There should be documentation accompanying the train you've downloaded, if not, then try this:

http://railsimroutes.co.uk/driversguide/tutorial_class323_openbve.php

This only applies to the class323, but most of the other trains such as the class150, 153, ect. utilize the same safety plugin.
Kawasaki_Plant

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 09:45:47 pm »
I can help you out with the joystick issue here
http://forums.bvestation.com/index.php?board=24.0

I don't want to have to throw your introduction topic off

Anyways, welcome. Nice to see a senior member around... I'm still 41 years younger then you lol

Offline ivatt

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 09:38:16 am »
Hi, thanks for the replies.

Some of the info posted I have already found.

I am familiar with the basic keyboard controls but as Simon says the UK safety systems are quite complex and I'm sure that I am not disabling them properly when I try to get the train moving.

Have printed the CL323 drivers guide but first attempt wasn't successful so will have to have another go. Same old AWS problem I suspect.

From first attempts OPENBVE implements the UK safety features far more than MSTS used to as I never had a problem with that. Pity there isn't a general command under options to ignore them!!

YankeesPwnMets thanks for reminding me of my age (only kidding).

Tried the link you posted but all I can see are two topics

Read here first
Graphics card

nothing about joysticks.

Offline Dr. Subway18

• Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 01:12:21 pm »
Hi, thanks for the replies.

Some of the info posted I have already found.

I am familiar with the basic keyboard controls but as Simon says the UK safety systems are quite complex and I'm sure that I am not disabling them properly when I try to get the train moving.

Have printed the CL323 drivers guide but first attempt wasn't successful so will have to have another go. Same old AWS problem I suspect.

From first attempts OPENBVE implements the UK safety features far more than MSTS used to as I never had a problem with that. Pity there isn't a general command under options to ignore them!!

YankeesPwnMets thanks for reminding me of my age (only kidding).

Tried the link you posted but all I can see are two topics

Read here first
Graphics card

nothing about joysticks.
hey ivatt
  I used a joystick in openbve once, but i manually put the control inputs in, maby you should try the same if you want, when i did it it was easier because i knew where everything was and how to run the train without guessing which button did what or posting sticky pads on my joystick lol. you can also go in the train editor of UK trains and disable some of the safety features i pretty sure but I'm not promising.  just download the train editor and then when you have that program go into the train file of your choosing and select the train. DAT file to open. if not that then customize the security key commands in the menus of bve. try that and let me know whatcha get ;)

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 05:22:43 pm »
I meant to start a new topic about it :P

Offline ivatt

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 06:20:35 am »
Thanks for the replies.

Will have another go at the joystick but more pressing is the need to crack the ats issue.

Dr. Subway18

I have seen the Security commands in the customise commands menu but as I don't know what they all mean a bit loathe to start messing around too much.

Been suggested I rename the ats.cfg file to disable the ats security so that I can just concentrate on the driving. Seems a simple thing to do although it was pointed out this might disabled things such as the wipers but I can live with that.

Feel a bit of an idiot that I can't get the hang of things.

YankeesPwnMets

If you start a topic about the joysticks can you let me know.

Offline Rayvon

• Operator
  • BVEStation Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 09:09:10 pm »
welcome to the site!
There's a few useful tutorials here you can check out, they're all pretty short and straight to the point:
http://www.bvestation.com/forums/index.php?board=81.0

Offline pedned

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 09:41:09 am »
To start the train... When engine is started/Pantograph is up.
  • reverser to forward and back to Netural, [F,V] to switch on the cab...
  • cancel AWS bell [insert]
  • Reverser back to Forward[F]
  • Switch of DRA if fitted [Space Bar] (DRA is a Driver Reminder for red signals ahead, it should be activated when you stop at a Red Signal as a reminder. It will prevent power from being applied until it has been deactivated again)
  • Release Brakes [<] or [A if combined power handle]
  • Take Power [Z]

If the doors are still open, on most trains (DMUs/EMUs especially) the Door/Brake interlock will be holding the brakes on, so wait for the doors to lock before releasing brakes and taking power...

When driving use Insert to cancel AWS warning alarms
And if the DVD sounds the bell use Delete to cancel this...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 09:42:49 am by pedned »

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 07:02:53 pm »
It's been over three calendar years since this was last updated. No need to necropost.

Locked.