BVEStation

Author Topic: Would You Accept Screen Doors For The NYCTA?  (Read 18324 times)

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
  • 7 Years of Developing for openBVE!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Would You Accept Screen Doors For The NYCTA?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 05:23:25 pm »
lol so basically it is a "you can't win" situation.  :P

Offline bve

• Dispatcher
  • OMSI anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 05:45:43 pm »
Considering the way people are today, I would have to also say no.
Favorite LFS Powertrain: Cummins ISL 9 EPA10
                                        Allison WB-400R Gen IV
Favorite CNG/Diesel Engine: Detroit Diesel Series 50

Favorite Transmission Make: Allison Transmission

Offline Fox-179

• Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 07:07:49 pm »
I would say no because all things automatically/electronically powered will malfunction.And there maybe a time a train pulls and the screens would not open or vice-versa preventing entering and exiting.This will cause frustration by New Yorkers.Also think about it these things have 2 have some kind of force so a baby or someone can injure themselves whether its their hand,head arm but there are a lot of EDP's out there who will do something stupid.
Vandalism is another issue and people may stick gum or whatever on the glass.But all in all bad idea for the City that never sleeps.

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 07:48:45 pm »
I would say no because all things automatically/electronically powered will malfunction.And there maybe a time a train pulls and the screens would not open or vice-versa preventing entering and exiting.This will cause frustration by New Yorkers.Also think about it these things have 2 have some kind of force so a baby or someone can injure themselves whether its their hand,head arm but there are a lot of EDP's out there who will do something stupid.
Vandalism is another issue and people may stick gum or whatever on the glass.But all in all bad idea for the City that never sleeps.

Same thing occurs on the train doors.  Platform screen doors are simply another set of doors...

As for injuries thats where getting caught in the doors come in.  Although now people know that there's a higher chance of getting stuck between the doors they'll figure out its more dangerous and would likely wait for the next train instead of holding them.  I really don't know if people will do that, it may make it worse, or it may improve.  We wont know until it is actually tried.
BVEStation.

Offline Bombardier01800

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
    • View Profile
    • MBTA and NJT Transit Forums
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 08:48:26 pm »
That, and let's say there's an evacuation... I'm sure there'd be a way to open them manually, but I think it'll just slow it all down
Jose
BVEStation Administrator

Offline BStyles

• Head Admin
  • Operator
  • The CEO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 10:31:45 am »
Yeah....I say yes for a few reasons.

1 - It will prevent the accumulation of garbage on the tracks. Platforms are easier and safer to clean rather than going down onto tracks and run the risk of getting electrocuted.

2 - It will prevent accidents such as people/inventory falling, and careless people risking their lives. We're not always going to have subway heroes. And, if you remember that ill-fated lady who jumped down to her death for a mere bag(I still think that was her fault), things like that the doors can prevent.

3 - The doors can also prevent the wind tunnel that a train causes as it enters the station. Wind tunnels can knock people off their feet.

4 - You really don't have to worry with the length of trains. IRT is fine, and so is BMT/IND with 10 car trains. The only real worry, now that I think about it, are 75 footers, but this can easily be remedied by placing more platform doors at different intervals. Overshooting seems to be the only major factor, but lines that have ATO and CBTC like the (L) would be the first choice for platform door testing.

5 - Ray brought up a very interesting point. There are parts of the five...I mean four boroughs that do have high levels of crime and therefore it would not be very wise to place glass platform doors at stations....why not plexiglass? In any case, MTA would lean towards plexiglass anyway, as a cost-cutting measure(you know how much they love that).

6 - If you're now hearing about vandalism on a transit system, then you must not ride transit often, or at all. Still, there are easy ways of removing graffiti from glass and stainless steel, a reason they were implemented in the first place. The MTA started putting plastic protectant on the glass of the trains, like a screen protector to a phone, and so far it has helped for as long as I've seen them.

7 - "In case of emergency, pull handle. Then push doors open." Works on the NJT Multilevels and all of the subway fleet. In fact, the Multilevels have a feature where you can remove the rubber around a window and easily just push it out. And i'm pretty sure that in case of an emergency, there would be no reason for the subway entrances/exits to be closed off. It's much more dangerous to walk in the tunnel.

8 - Everything mechanical fails at some point. Dead motors, service dump, spontaneous BIE, etc. As long as mankind makes machinery, there will always be one or two flaws. We can never expect that something will work on its first day, or over a long period of time.

That's just my two cents.

BStyles

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 11:54:52 am »
2 - It will prevent accidents such as people/inventory falling, and careless people risking their lives. We're not always going to have subway heroes. And, if you remember that ill-fated lady who jumped down to her death for a mere bag(I still think that was her fault), things like that the doors can prevent.

Precisely that, when a passenger gets "injured" millions of people are delayed just to help, rescue, pull out or do whatever just to save that person, and during rush hours too.  Talk about suicidal people being selfish alright.
BVEStation.

Offline Bombardier01800

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
    • View Profile
    • MBTA and NJT Transit Forums
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 05:48:58 pm »
7 - "In case of emergency, pull handle. Then push doors open." Works on the NJT Multilevels and all of the subway fleet. In fact, the Multilevels have a feature where you can remove the rubber around a window and easily just push it out. And i'm pretty sure that in case of an emergency, there would be no reason for the subway entrances/exits to be closed off. It's much more dangerous to walk in the tunnel.
An emergency ans in an emergency in the train in which the best way to exit would be going to the nearest platform. I still have my reasons to say no, but if it happens, it happens.
Jose
BVEStation Administrator

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 08:27:11 pm »
Another reason for Yes: The call 12-9 will never need to be used again. When that lady was killed by the (6) train, I thought that if I was in the T/O's shoes. I would never get the images out of my head: the crunch, the screams, the frantic radio call and calls to 911, and leaving the train to inspect a mangled body, crushed head, etc. It would be part of your life forever. It's like being a cop, firing your weapon and killing the suspect. Even though it was for pure self defense, you will have to deal with fact for the rest of your life that you/your train killed a person.

Offline sonylr

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2011, 03:42:51 am »
 :-*

Its enough now as it , unnecessary 7 doors will block the space of woagon.