BVEStation

Author Topic: BVEStation Site Improvements  (Read 7714 times)

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
BVEStation Site Improvements
« on: December 26, 2011, 11:42:03 pm »
I hope you all are enjoying your Holidays!  Some improvements to the site have been put in place for everyone.

Here are the features in a nutshell.
  • New Downloads Page Layout
  • md5 Checksums on all files
  • Ability to see if the file is hosted on BVEStation or not
  • Users can now add their downloads to BVEStation

The downloads section has a slightly altered look, making it much easier to find the route you are looking for.  We've basically cleared up the clutter and put everything in a grid format so its easier for you guys to see and find the download your looking for.

md5 Checksums are now standard for all hosted (main download link) files on BVEStation.  If you want to ensure the file you receive wasn't corrupted or you simply want to verify that you have the exact same file as the one on the server, this is the way to go.

You can also see if a file was hosted on BVEStation or not, if a file is not, there won't be an md5 checksum available and the globe next to it will be red.  Files are not hosted on BVEStation in the event that the file was just put up by a member and not yet put online or other circumstances where BVEStation is unable to host the file, and the file must be obtained elsewhere.  Hopefully this will be rare, as we try to host all files.

Also, members will now be able to add files into the downloads section.  No need to wait for the staff to insert your files into the site.  You can add your file even if it is not hosted on BVEStation yet.  So if your file is on mediafire, simply add the link into the downloads section, and users will be able to download the file immediately.  It is very easy to add a file onto the site, simply fill out the form that is provided for you, and submit!  The BVEStation Staff will then put your file on BVEStation's servers at a later time.  The globe next to the md5 checksum will turn green once it is hosted on BVEStation.  Please write the dependencies, and compatibility information into the description, again the administrators will add this information to your file at a later time.  Do note that this is only for members who request this.  Some of you have already been invited to try this new system out  We do hope that you guys will request to use this new system, and remember, any member can upload screenshots to the gallery.

Please remember that if you enter your file to BVEStation Downloads, you give the administrators the right to host your file and/or repackage it if necessary.  This is not a free downloads database for everybody's downloads for that go to http://wiki.bve-routes.com/index.php/Main_Page and not a place to link to your site!!!  Files already hosted on a site elsewhere with their own downloads section linking to it MAY NOT be added to BVEStation Downloads.  Remember this is for files that you want to be hosted on BVEStation!

Enjoy the new updates!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 03:11:50 am by ipac »
BVEStation.

Offline vince_black

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
    • Czech BVE Page
Re: BVEStation Site Improvements
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 04:38:27 am »
Can I have a little question? How I can see what download is the newest? I could check it before improvements, but now in Newest Downloads page I see, for example, D line on 2nd place, but comes from August 6 and many later was there "Train With Many Colors" R33, which is not presented there at all... How it works?

Offline Gong Gahou

• Operator
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 08:56:53 am »
Can I have a little question? How I can see what download is the newest? I could check it before improvements, but now in Newest Downloads page I see, for example, D line on 2nd place, but comes from August 6 and many later was there "Train With Many Colors" R33, which is not presented there at all... How it works?
Actually, if you take a closer at all the files and the dates that they were released, you'll see that the Downloads page is sorted out from the newest to the oldest. Not sure if this is the best way to describe it, but it's like the words in a book - look at the squares in that way and that's how the download files are arranged.
Previously known as pjiang6211

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 12:59:15 pm »
The downloads are in fact listed from newest uploaded to oldest uploaded.  It could be that they are listed from left to right.  From left to right on the first row is the newest, then onto the second row, left to right, and so on until the very end.  If the file has no date, then it is placed at the bottom, some files strangely enough don't have dates.
BVEStation.

Offline ARome

• Operator
  • One small step for man. One giant leap for mankind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 04:20:41 am »
About the downloads section, are we able to edit what we uploaded, or only the admins can do that?  ???
I'm just curious because sometimes developers have to host a fix on their routes/trains from a file sharing site until they get in contact with the admins.
An example like:
A developer releases one of their projects to the BVE Community, but then a few hours later the thread is full of people complaining that there are errors, vice versa, and the developer needs to update that fix. With this ability to upload the file, I'm not sure if they have to contact the admins to update the file, or if the developers can do it themselves.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 04:23:40 am by HayleyWilliamsFan »

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 05:41:42 pm »
Yes, developers can edit/update what they uploaded.  They cannot however, delete their files.  An admin will have to be contacted if they want to delete their files.
BVEStation.

Offline vince_black

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
    • Czech BVE Page
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 11:13:37 am »
Thanks for describing... Maybe I had wrong resolution of monitor and I didn't see it right. Now it's OK. I'm watching this site often, so now I'm glad for a new Q route!  8)