BVEStation

Author Topic: Re: Routes for free!!!!!!!!!  (Read 7621 times)

Offline bigbellymon4

• Operator
  • Route Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Routes for free!!!!!!!!!
« on: October 22, 2012, 09:26:12 pm »
I don't mean 2 be rude or anything, but i thought it would be a great idea to lock the files on bvestation. what i mean is that for example if i come onto the site as a guest, and then i decide to download any route, the site should say in reply sign in or create an account. it would help prevent people that just visit the site to get the downloads and then leave. it would also help bring more people unto the forums and they might eventually maybe create a routes or 2 or the will help update a train set, stuff like that. all i am say is that if we get more guests 2 create an account, maybe, just maybe, we can get a little farther into covering the whole NYCT Subway system. i dont know how long this webiste has been around, but i know it has been around before 2010-2011 because that is when i joined and i also know if we were able to lure some really devoted people onto the forums, they can help in many different ways. u can know go ahead and prove me wrong in many different ways.

Offline Brighton Express

• Operator
  • Progress Updater for the NYC Transit Forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 09:31:22 pm »
But BVEStation members want to share their content with the world for free, so that their people get the initiative to join the program. Who wants a bunch of idle members who make an account to download routes, when you can have members who have joined under their own will and will interact with the community, showing their interest to the content?

Offline Threxx1

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 10:00:03 pm »
Exactly, I have done this on another forum. I wanted a file for OMSI, and I was forced to create an account to download it. I still haven't used it to this day...

Offline Mr Railfan

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Train Developer and Route Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 12:16:43 am »
In my opinion , it just creates a hassle for the person (guest) downloading and that extra step might deter them from downloading the route/train or whatever. If they really want to join the community then let them come on their own. Forcing people to create an account just creates inconveniences for the person if they don't plan on joining the community. Plus a lot of a lot of developers want their released product available to the most amount of people.

Offline TrainFanInfinity

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Routes for free!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 05:36:14 pm »
I agree with both Brighton Express & Mr Railfan. Why do you have to create such a hassle when all you want to do is download a route?

Btw, wrong section.

Offline error46146

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
    • Photography by me.
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 11:42:02 am »
I see where you're coming from; however as said this plan can backfire as many people may be deterred from making those extra steps to sign up for a site and everything. Some people just want to download the route and play it, and are not interested in developing or anything. They should be allowed to download without having to sign up. Even if we did force them to sign up, they would just sign up, get their stuff, and leave.. we'd have a lot of useless accounts here on the site.

Offline ipac

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 03:29:39 pm »
We have tried this in the past, and we have seen the reception of doing this.  Especially during the days of severe copyright issues, doing that solved nothing, and even encouraged more of it.

It is much more of a nuisance to sign in just to download a file and then leave.  I personally hate sites that do this, and I did not want to do it on BVEStation.  Having all these extra empty accounts wont do anything to the community other than inflate it and encourage users to create duplicate accounts.  I've gone through about 3 computers throughout the course of BVEStation being up, and when I need to reinstall everything, not having to sign in makes life just that much easier when I'm reinstalling routes.  I understand if there were exclusive files only for members, thats fine.  Our goal at BVEStation is to get our users to the content they want as fast, and painless as possible, we're not there yet but its what we hope to do.

Finally, more members doesn't necessarily mean more developers.  While we wished it were like that, its not.
BVEStation.